• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Every Barbarian is now John Cena
john-cena-vanish.gif

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I do think the Dual Wielder feat needs to make it easier. They can do something similar to what I just did with Great Weapon Master.

Dual Wielder 4th-Level Feat Prerequisite: Proficiency with Any Martial Weapon Repeatable: No
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
  • Ability Score Increase. Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
  • Dual Wielding Mastery. Choose a weapon you are proficient with that lacks the Two-Handed and Heavy properties. You can use that Weapon as if it had the Light property and Nick Mastery property. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can practice weapon drills and change the weapon you chose.
  • Quick Draw. You can draw or stow two Weapons that lack the Heavy or Two-Handed properties when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
This way merges "Nick" for Rogues and Rangers who focus on Dexterity, and also supports Strength-based Dual Longsword/Battle Axe wielders. It doesn't mess with Finesse at all, so Rogues get no benefit from using 2 longswords.
It should take a feat to be able to dual wield a rapier and dagger.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don’t think that’s consistent with what is bad about this UA.
It's very consistent

• They don't optimize
  • They play cookie cutter characters
  • They don't run situations where utilize magic is very strong often
  • They don't run many social or exploration challenges.
  • They call for low DCs so that poorly optimized dabblers are good enough
  • They run long dungeons with many quick fights

Cool Note.

Barbarians can hide with Strength with Rage
Hiding is Invisibility

Every Barbarian is now John Cena
I kinda liked that they framed it as if the primary casting stat for primal effects could be Strength (vs mostly Int/Cha for arcane and mostly Wis for divine). They probably won't change druid, because backwards compatibility, but maybe it can be touched on in ranger?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I kinda liked that they framed it as if the primary casting stat for primal effects could be Strength (vs mostly Int/Cha for arcane and mostly Wis for divine). They probably won't change druid, because backwards compatibility, but maybe it can be touched on in ranger?

Strength for Barbarian works as most animalistic feats are muscle based. The 4e Barbarian was STR and Primal.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's very consistent

• They don't optimize
  • They play cookie cutter characters
  • They don't run situations where utilize magic is very strong often
  • They don't run many social or exploration challenges.
  • They call for low DCs so that poorly optimized dabblers are good enough
  • They run long dungeons with many quick fights
Pure speculation, but okay

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Bold added. This is something that comes up a lot when discussing the warlock, and I just don’t understand… The DM isn’t the one in control of when the PCs rest. If you want a short rest, just take one.
It's the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan issue. The more time you spend there, the more damage you take. Spend an hour and you take more damage than you gain back from it after a while. DM is not "in control" of your choices, but it's a bad choice to make in the scenario.

And it doesn't need to be that poison gas. It could just be wandering monsters attack. Or a race against another group to get to the center of a labyrinth. Or any of dozens of things which make a short rest a bad choice.

Remove ads

Remove ads