D&D 5E New Paladin Oaths

Grimmjow

First Post
id also like to add that a chaos knight who take some sort of oath to be him/her self. To never change to what other people expect of them and stay true to themselves (on top of their beliefs). How hard is it to not conform to what you know/think will make others happy? These paladins would do so because of an oath they took, and would probably help others do the same.

Oath of Verity: "To thy own self be true."

after i made this post i saw this. exactly what i was saying :)

mlund

First Post
Elves are normally Chaotic because of the fact that they feel free.

More accurately, silvan elves are normally Chaotic because they live in loose-knit tribal societies and eschew urban lifestyles, governance, and bureaucracy. They often come and go as they please, rather than on orders from anyone higher up in society.

There are other sorts of elves, like the Eladrin who built the great cities of the Feywild, with their kings and courts and armies and whatnot.

a chaos paladin could mean a paladin who feels that he is free to follow her own code and encourage others to do so as well.

The whole "bound to a specific oath that's more important than my personal feelings on any particular matter," usually cuts against the grain of the Chaotic alignments. Being dedicated, in principle, to opposing tyranny and allowing people to seek their own good without fear of domination or reprisal from others is a high-minded and noble idea, but taking a rigid oath to uphold that value above all else is a Lawful behavior, not a Chaotic one.

Lawful characters do things because it is the right thing to do in the Big Picture, even when on a case-by-case basis something might be very disagreeable, because that's what Honor requires.

Chaotic characters take moral issues on a case-by-case basis, even if it leads them to inconsistency or paradox some times. They lead with their guts, not with their perceived obligations.

There are Chaotic Good and Chaotic Evil champions, but they are usually matters of personal deeds and external patronage, not adherence to binding oaths.

- Marty Lund

gyor

Legend
New Idea, Oath of the Demon Knight.

All DEmon Knights where former Paladins of other Oaths captured by the demons of the Abyss. They were tortured into madness and hate and forced to swear a perversion of their original Oaths which infuses them with the semi divine power of the demon princes and similar dark powers of chaos and evil. That don't risk losing their oath for violations of it, rather they're punished by horrorifying agony. They receive a demon steed, which is a mutalated human soul chopped up and reassembled into a horse like form mad with eternal agony. This deals with the Chaos issue at least for Chaotic Evil.

I still say this would work better if they dumped the alignment restrictions which would allow more freedom of ideals and knightly tropes.

gyor

Legend
Knight of Passion aka Ruby Knight swears to follow their heart as variation on the theme of be true to ones self. While its as promise aka Oath it binds one to a Chaotic and emotional element which can be unpredictable. One keeps the oath by simple surrendering to the Chaotic Urges of ones emotions.

gyor

Legend
After reading Shadowbane I really want Avenger as a Paladin Oath or something, Sithe is my single favour Genasi of 4e and the first full Avenger in an FR novel.

Sadrik

First Post
Paladin (LG)
Myrikhan (NG)
Garath (CG)
Lyan (LN)
Paramander (N)
Fantra (CN)
Illrigger (LE)
Arrikhan (NE)
Anti-Paladin (CE)

These are classic D&D paladins from dragon magazine #106. I highly recommend using them for the sake of posterity if nothing else. Anti-Paladins were in issue #39.

Of course I like Blackguard better than anti-paladin. And warden is a toss up for Paramander, I think I like Paramander better actually, and Paladin is certainly better than Cavalier.

gyor

Legend
Most of those are weird and not particularly invoketive. Kind of neat, but not something that is likely to resonate with most people. I could be wrong.

I'd rather have oaths align with thematic ideals then one each for alignments, plus I like how there is some range for Blackguards and Wardens.

I'd wouldn't mind an egyptian Oath, Glorious Servitor to celebrate the return of Mulhorand for example.

Oath of Ash

I will never give up my allies.
I will never let them down.
I will never retreat or abandon them.
I will not do action that will stress them to the point of crying.
I will forever maintain my bonds.
I will never lie to my allies or cause them harm.

Remove ads