• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New player and even newer DM struggling with another player...

Smoke Jaguar

First Post
I am sure that this is nothing new. I couldn't find another thread on it though. I am a new player to D&D and my group asked me to be the DM. They are all more experienced than me but I seem to be able to control the group the best and have a creative and strong fantasy background.

I am struggling with one player in particular. He is a lot younger than the other players. He is only 12 while the rest of us are mid-20's. He is one of the players little brother. He wants to be the center of attention and is immature. I can understand that and bear it because of his age.

The main problem I am looking for help with is the fact that he is only a level 3 but with stat rolls to begin with, training, and skill focus; he is rolling very high 20's and even at times 30's on stealth, bluff, and thievery. Every time he meets a NPC he immediately tries to steal all their money or bluff the NPC into giving him everything that the PC has. He is also playing a chaotic evil while the rest of the group is mostly neutral and a two lawful goods. So he is wanting to murder and steal everything he sees.

He really sticks out like a sore thumb and brings the story to a screeching halt. I can tell that some are getting tired of his antics and causing tons of trouble.

Long story short (haha), does anybody have some suggestions? I don't want to kick him out or pick on him (too much at least).

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Establish boundaries. I DM for my kids a lot and just as with raising the little buggers, they need boundaries on their gaming as well.

First and foremost, don't allow evil alignments. For younger players, the "PCs are the good guys" aspect of the game really needs to be reinforced. Save the evil PCs for the more mature gamers.

Second, establish consequences. If he still insists on stealing, have the proper authorities come after his character. Even within the context of a game, actions have consequences and the sooner he learns that, the better.

Smoke Jaguar

First Post
I try to have authorities come after him but he still tries to bluff saying that he was the good guy and then a significant amount of time for the evening is about him and the rest get bored.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Then put the impetus back on the other players. Have one of their characters take up an older brother role (especially appropriate for the older brother player) and guide the character away from his current path.

Smoke Jaguar

First Post
The older sibling says that he is neutral but tends to play a more evil than the rest. He is a bit defensive about the younger brother. I will attempt to talk to him tactfully.

Ebylon

First Post
You are the Dungeon Master.

-You- determine whether or not a twelve year old can bluff his way out of something. Don't let him dictate what happens. Tell him to roll initiative; he's cornered on a city street by every exit, and has to fight or stand down and submit to the authorities.

Be decisive. Kick his ass around six ways from Sunday to show that he's not running the game, you are. You owe it to yourself and to the rest of the players that are tired of the kid's antics. It's everyone's game; not his.

Last edited:

You need to put your foot down with this kid, absolutely as far as you can without acting inappropriately (you aren't his parents, or even his brother, after all). Let the kid know, very firmly, that his behaviour is not acceptable, and that if he continues, he might lose the privilege of playing (for himself, and possibly for his brother, if the brother isn't helpful in controlling this kid).

(The brother sounds like he might be at fault, too, especially if he's bringing the kid, and then letting him go wild. Make sure Senior understands the problem you're having with his younger brother, and if he refuses to, you should seriously consider dumping both from the group until at least one of them is ready to behave.)

The truth is, as a DM, you're gonna be playing kindergarten-teacher and parent sometimes anyway, even if all your players are adults. As DM, your control of the game should extend even to table-management, which means keeping problem-players in line. It takes a while to get used to, but don't be afraid to get heavy-handed if the situation warrants it -- remember that your effort and everybody's enjoyment are on the line.

D&D with grow'd-ups might not really be a good fit for this kid anyway. Have you considered showing him how to DM? You could encourage him to run a game for some of his same-aged friends, whose playing style might have more in common with his.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Good for you for trying to accommodate a friend's younger sibling! That said, it's critical you establish boundaries on appropriate behavior. First, decide how much leeway you will give this character. How much of the spotlight can one character hog and how frequently? What will be the general consequences of evil or disruptive behavior, that is, what kind of game will this be? Second, communicate these boundaries explicitly to the entire group, out-of-character. I might attempt an in-game remedy once, but you generally cannot rely on typical players to take hints, and this player is not typical. Consistently apply the rules you establish, and you'll be on solid ground.

mkill

Adventurer
I agree with "let him suffer the consequences". Just because you're twelve doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Other twelve-year olds play heroic Paladins and mighty wizards, there is no reason that he needs to play antisocial. It's just that you guys are letting him get away with it.

There is nothing wrong with a thief in the party, but he needs to learn to use his skills for the benefit of the group. Next time he steals from an NPC, and gets caught (and if you're caught red-handed, that's a Bluff DC 50 to get out, sorry), the group will suffer. That quest that was supposed to make them rich? Uhh, he'd rather hire someone more reliable. That information you wanted from the sage? Too bad you just got kicked out of the house.

Also, don't hesitate to make your stance as DM very clear out of game. If he doesn't get the message in-game, stop him out-game. "No, you can't steal from this NPC right now, he's important, and if you do that, he'll stop working with the party. You are a hero so behave like one. I don't care what your Thievery or Bluff skill is, you're not supposed to use it now."

If he complains, ignore him.

Remove ads