new preview DMG2

MrMyth

First Post
So the general concensus is that anything can be called an RPG.

No, I think the general consensus is that roleplaying is a form of storytelling, rather than a separate entity entirely. I think you are misreading the opposing viewpoints if the above is what you conclude they are arguing.

Your definition of roleplaying and storytelling differs from everyone else's. That's fine. Since pretty much everyone else involved in the discussion, along with the designers of the game, seem to be operating under different definitions than you, I'd suggest reading the contents of the DMG2 in that context. Thus, there should be no confusion over why people are interested in storytelling elements in a roleplaying game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If a tabletop combat game were produced that included a few pages about giving a name and some traits to your leader figure and was released as an RPG that it would be fine because there is nothing preventing it from being used as an RPG?

Considering the hobby's history - that the first thing we commonly refer to as an RPG was a skirmish combat game with the serial numbers filed off and replaced with some vague concept of treating what used to be called "units" as "characters" - I would say yes.

ryryguy

First Post
Regarding the article itself -

Looked pretty great to me. Not everything in there will appeal to all people, but there's a lot of stuff that could be useful in my games. I definitely have strong intentions of keeping individual PC's hooks and sideplots involved but find this hard to do in practice. So any advice that helps with that would be awesome.

Going from titles a fair number of the other chapters could be awesome too. Looks better than the 3e DMG 2 which had a few good things but overall was a bit weak.

coyote6

Adventurer
That is totally the Robin Laws chapter, too. Straight off his idea farm & into the wheelhouse, so to say.

(And to swipe a gag from his blog. ;))

LostSoul

Adventurer
Let's look at the article:

Vignettes can fill a number of roles in your story.

Interactions dramatize current conflicts between PCs or other characters.
Flashbacks illuminate past events in the characters’ lives.
Dream sequences bring a character’s inner conflicts to life in a surreal mental environment.
Transitions leap the campaign forward in time.
Third-person teasers use NPCs, portrayed by the players, to foreshadow events that enmesh the PCs.​

Interactions: How would you guys frame these scenes if you were the DM? Does he say, "Okay, now Brom and Deena are talking about the fiasco at the Gate of Black Fire over a couple of pints at the Green Dragon Inn. Go!" Or is it handled more organically, just asking what the PCs are doing? Or does he say, "Do you guys want to have an Interaction scene now?"

Would there be a way to tie this into the economy of the game? Say by issuing a Quest like, "Resolve your differences - in whatever way - over what happened at the Gate of Black Fire".

Flashbacks: It's a good way to introduce new NPCs and give them ties to the PCs. Cheesy if overused.

Here is a storytelling mechanic. Give the party a number of flashback scenes equal to the number of PCs. This refreshes each level. In the flashback you roleplay through a (very short) scene that includes a conflict. If the PC succeeds in the conflict, he gets a +2 bonus to a roll related to the conflict; if he fails, a -2 penalty. The bonus must be applied immediately, and the DM can use the penalty whenever he feels it's appropriate.

Transitions: I think it might be cool if you had the player describe what he was doing, or trying to accomplish, during the downtime. Then he might get a roll related to it and gain some benefit from it. Things like work (to get some cash), study (learn a new ritual/make a magic item), or whatever. The key would be to keep it short and sweet.

Third-Person Teasers: Pretty awesome.

Quickleaf

Legend
That is totally the Robin Laws chapter, too. Straight off his idea farm & into the wheelhouse, so to say.

(And to swipe a gag from his blog. ;))
:) Yeah, that has Robin Laws written all over it. Nothing new to indie gamers, but refreshing to see in a D&D product.

Let's look at the article:

Vignettes can fill a number of roles in your story.

Interactions dramatize current conflicts between PCs or other characters.
Flashbacks illuminate past events in the characters’ lives.
Dream sequences bring a character’s inner conflicts to life in a surreal mental environment.
Transitions leap the campaign forward in time.
Third-person teasers use NPCs, portrayed by the players, to foreshadow events that enmesh the PCs.​

I've used these a bit IMC... Interactions I let happen organically as dictated by the players. Flashbacks I've used to give the players influence on the gameworld (it was to come up with a sanctuary location they were familiar with). Dream sequences I've used as foreshadowing/puzzles. Transitions I often let the PCs take action off-screen.

Most recently I'm experimenting with 3rd-person teasers in the form of a video trailer which includes the villain's voiceover in a sort of political campaign ad. I'm going to play it for my group tonight and see how it goes over....definitely new territory for our rpgs.

lazerfish

First Post
Third person scenes seem... really, really cool. I'm not sure how great my players would be at separating what they know from what their characters know, but I still really want to give it a try.

Remove ads