New Race: Hedgehog-Folk

What should they be named?

• Urchin

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Grannoch

Votes: 24 92.3%

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
They're not called hedgehog-folk -- in fact, vote above on what their name should be as I have two potentials. Here's the write-up. A rogue sort of race, maybe I'll even remove halflings completely and replace them with these guys.

Average Height: 5'1"-5'4"
Average Weight: 110-120 lbs.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Stealth
Spines: A H.H.F.'s back is covered in spines. These spines deal 1d6 damage to any enemy striking the H.H.F. with a melee attack.
Cast-Iron Stomach: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison.
Hale and Hardy: +2 racial bonus to saving throws against disease.
Vermin's Bane: You can use vermin's bane as an encounter power.

VERMIN'S BANE [H.H.F. RACIAL POWER]
Encounter ~ Free Action ~ Personal
Effect: Deal +1d6 additional damage to arachnid or insectoid creatures, like scorpions and insect swarms.

HARD TO HOLD [H.H.F.]
Prerequisites: H.H.F., Rogue Tactics class feature
Benefit: As an encounter power, you can make your spines secrete an oily substance which makes you difficult to get a grip on (-5 to grab attempts).

lutecius

Explorer
Hedgehog, seriously? I don't like furries as pc races, and spiky reaches a new level of freakiness, but i must applaud any attempt to obliterate the halfling. :)

Is grannoch a made-up name like eladrin or does it have an etymological/mythological/fictional origin?

I'm not sure where the Vermine's Bane is coming from. The damage to swarms in particular doesn't feel right. Hedgehogs in RL are often infested with fleas and other parasites getting through their spines because they can't scratch.

Gort

Explorer
I'm not really going to comment on the flavour of the race, as whatever floats your boat really. But the D6 damage every time you get hit thing? Completely broken. These guys will mow down minions like there's no tomorrow.

Perhaps give them an encounter power that allows them to stick their spines out until the beginning of their next turn to gain this bonus, but having it always-on is too much.

Doc Aquatic

First Post
Gort said:
Perhaps give them an encounter power that allows them to stick their spines out until the beginning of their next turn to gain this bonus, but having it always-on is too much.

I've got to agree with this. It fits very well as an encounter power, and highlights a unique aspect they have as a race, while the vermin-bane doesn't have nearly the mechanical flair or flavor this does.

As one of the racial abilities, I'd probably use a small bonus against flanking creatures to replace the 1d6 damage ability. Maybe +1 to defenses when flanked.

Wik

First Post
Yeah, 1d6 on all foes is huge. Even 1 point of dmage is huge. Doc is absolutely on the money with his replacement (+1 defenses when flanked).

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
lutecius said:
Is grannoch a made-up name like eladrin or does it have an etymological/mythological/fictional origin?

Grannoch itself is made up, sorta. It's meant to be a more Celtic-sounding version of graynoge which I read was the Manx (Isle of Man) word for hedgehog.

I'm not sure where the Vermine's Bane is coming from. The damage to swarms in particular doesn't feel right. Hedgehogs in RL are often infested with fleas and other parasites getting through their spines because they can't scratch.

It came from the fact that hedgehogs are insectivorous.

Remove ads