New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

gyor

Legend
Wasn't aware of Sharess being related to war, albeit distantly in the present time. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah that's why Sharess is so interesting, she's got one of the coolest stories. She starts out having to sacrifice some of her divinity, along with the other Mulan Gods, in order to get past the Imaskar magic and liberate her people from Slavery.

Then the Orcgate wars come along, she fights the orc gods and Set kills her father (Ra is Bast's father, and possibly mother as well as suprising as that sounds, in Egyptian Mythology), so she becomes the Foe of Set.

Not long after the Cult of Felidae arises in Mulhorand thanks to a rise in beast cult popularity in Mulhorand (temperarily). Felidae has her origins in nearby Barbarian tribes. She a Goddess or Cat Spirit of Pleasure, Travel, Cats, and Nomads.

So Bast absorbs her and she begins to lose interest in war to some degree, she still supports the fight against Set, but she develops a wonderlust to explore Faerun.

A deal is struck with Mask, Bast, now Sharess is allowed to join the Faerun Pantheon, and Mask is allowed to become the God of thieves in Mulhorand (no other Mulhorand God has an interest in the role of God of Thieves not even Set or Sobek).

Sharess has all sorts of Adventures, but ends up in the Yuirwood, where another Goddess of Pleasure, more focused on lust, and trading on that for the Good of her people is in a pickle.

See Zandilar made a deal with a drow God to gain intel and help fighting a drow invasion of the Yuirwood. This backfired on Zandilar, because the dude is a jerk and after sleeping with her, he tries to kill her.

So Bast finds this out and rescues Zandilar, who is too injured to stay alive on her own and so Bast and Zandilar merge (I'll leave how two Goddess of Pleasure merge to your imagination).

Bast War God of Cats has now been transformed into Sharess, former war god, former nomad god of travel, into party girl Goddess of Cats, Brothels, and Lust.

Which leads Sharess to wonder the realms getting into all kinds of mischief, forming cults and then leaving like the cat verison of the Littlest Hobo, till she mets and hooks up with Shar, Goddess of Night, Forgetfulness, and Loss, who leads her to darker pleasures (this is Sharess' likely source for her title Succubus of Sensation, just my opinion).

Eventual Sharess is caught up in the Time of Troubles, and she ends up in the body of the Caliphs favourite Concubines body. Sharess then parties it up in what is likely Faerun's largest Harem.

Shar comes along after having murdered the God of Caves, and then tries to do the same to Sharess, everyone wants eat Sharess' divinity it seems. Sune, Goddess of Love and Gingers, comes along and acts as Sharess' knight in well no armour and purifies Sharess with magic holy water, saving her from Shar.

So after the time of troubles Sharess leaves Faerun to hang with Sune in Brightwater, the Planar Party City.

Then the Spellplague happens and she gets demoted to exarch like all the demigods.

Then the Sundering happens, but she's not mentioned, so we have to infere what happened to her based on current events, like the second Mulhorand-Imaskar war and the return of the Mulhorand Gods.

And that's the tip of the iceberg.

Sharess was interested in Tieflings and Alu-Fiends before it was cool, Succubi of Sensation remember.

She along with Nobanion founded Nathlan city of cats.

She created the first werecats.

She the only deity in FR whose sees Ilmater's deformed and hideous broken formand things, he's hot I want to hit that.

She's in off again, on again relationship with Anhur, God of War and later Storms in Mulhorand.

She's in a war with Lovitar over sensation and who gets to be Goddess of S&M.

She's in more Pantheons them most Gods.

Her son Selvtarm has his own interesting, and far sadder story.

She has so many sides to her story, she's not just a Goddess, she's an adventurer, and the closest thing the realms has to a rockstar.

She grants wishes from her kisses, kind of fall apart the next day.

How could they leave her out of SCAG?

Last edited by a moderator:

Irennan

Explorer
Yeah that's why Sharess is so interesting, she's got one of the coolest stories. She starts out having to sacrifice some of her divinity, along with the other Mulan Gods, in order to get past the Imaskar magic and liberate her people from Slavery.

Then the Orcgate wars come along, she fights the orc gods and Set kills her father (Ra is Bast's father, and possibly mother as well as suprising as that sounds, in Egyptian Mythology), so she becomes the Foe of Set.

Not long after the Cult of Felidae arises in Mulhorand thanks to a rise in beast cult popularity in Mulhorand (temperarily). Felidae has her origins in nearby Barbarian tribes. She a Goddess or Cat Spirit of Pleasure, Travel, Cats, and Nomads.

So Bast absorbs her and she begins to lose interest in war to some degree, she still supports the fight against Set, but she develops a wonderlust to explore Faerun.

A deal is struck with Mask, Bast, now Sharess is allowed to join the Faerun Pantheon, and Mask is allowed to become the God of thieves in Mulhorand (no other Mulhorand God has an interest in the role of God of Thieves not even Set or Sobek).

Sharess has all sorts of Adventures, but ends up in the Yuirwood, where another Goddess of Pleasure, more focused on lust, and trading on that for the Good of her people is in a pickle.

See Zandilar made a deal with a drow God to gain intel and help fighting a drow invasion of the Yuirwood. This backfired on Zandilar, because the dude is a jerk and after sleeping with her, he tries to kill her.

So Bast finds this out and rescues Zandilar, who is too injured to stay alive on her own and so Bast and Zandilar merge (I'll leave how two Goddess of Pleasure merge to your imagination).

Bast War God of Cats has now been transformed into Sharess, former war god, former nomad god of travel, into party girl Goddess of Cats, Brothels, and Lust.

Which leads Sharess to wonder the realms getting into all kinds of mischief, forming cults and then leaving like the cat verison of the Littlest Hobo, till she mets and hooks up with Shar, Goddess of Night, Forgetfulness, and Loss, who leads her to darker pleasures (this is Sharess' likely source for her title Succubus of Sensation, just my opinion).

Eventual Sharess is caught up in the Time of Troubles, and she ends up in the body of the Caliphs favourite Concubines body. Sharess then parties it up in what is likely Faerun's largest Harem.

Shar comes along after having murdered the God of Caves, and then tries to do the same to Sharess, everyone wants eat Sharess' divinity it seems. Sune, Goddess of Love and Gingers, comes along and acts as Sharess' knight in well no armour and purifies Sharess with magic holy water, saving her from Shar.

So after the time of troubles Sharess leaves Faerun to hang with Sune in Brightwater, the Planar Party City.

Then the Spellplague happens and she gets demoted to exarch like all the demigods.

Then the Sundering happens, but she's not mentioned, so we have to infere what happened to her based on current events, like the second Mulhorand-Imaskar war and the return of the Mulhorand Gods.

And that's the tip of the iceberg.

Sharess was interested in Tieflings and Alu-Fiends before it was cool, Succubi of Sensation remember.

She along with Nobanion founded Nathlan city of cats.

She created the first werecats.

She's in a war with Lovitar over sensation and who gets to be Goddess of S&M.

She has so many sides to her story, she's not just a Goddess, she's an adventurer.

How could they leave her out.

It actually was Zandilar who tried to seduce Vhaeraun, IIRC, and he tried to get back at her by assorbing her divinity afterwards. Either way, I see what you mean, and while Sharess isn't the only FR deity to have a colorful/vivid story, her worship is definitely widespread and influent among people, so I disagree with the decision of leaving her out (especially over other demipowers who surely are more ''niche'' in terms of worshippers, like Jergal).

Remove ads

Remove ads