New Star Trek TV Series In Development

dravot

First Post
You are all wrong.

They should set the new series in the post-DS9 era alternative universe (you know, the one with all the goatees & psychopaths).

That way, they can get an overturning the Empire vibe and recycle/repackage the best of Star Wars/Firefly/Blake's 7. And make it aaaaaall better.

;)

I would so watch that show.

Orius

Legend
It's doubtful they'd set an entire series in the Mirror Universe given that that's kind of anti-Trek, but there's no problem with any new series occasionally dipping into it for fun. The original episode was great, and both DS9 and ENT pulled out some pretty good episodes set in it.

Danny, I think you hit upon something in passing, Blake's 7. Wasn't that a ST spin-off (sort of?). That never really got off the ground, maybe they should do a re-launch on that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wasn't that a ST spin-off (sort of?). That never really got off the ground, maybe they should do a re-launch on that.

Nah- Blake's 7 was a classic bit of late-70's British Sci-fi, in many ways presageing Firefly in its main storyline of a group of societal misfits fighting an oppressive government.

I remember now it was Gary Seven of the Assignment Earth episode.
The series never emerged as the CBS execs killed it before the pilot aired - I would love to get my hands on that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I remember now it was Gary Seven of the Assignment Earth episode.
The series never emerged as the CBS execs killed it before the pilot aired - I would love to get my hands on that.

I remember reading about that!

I always though that episode felt like a setup for a spinoff, and then to see it confirmed in print...well it changed the way I looked at TV forever.

Lucasfilm seems to have done well with The Clone Wars, though.

That's because Lucas owns Star Wars and he owns the animation studio: Lucasfilm Animation. So the licensing cost is $0.

Never compare what Lucas can do with Star Wars to anything anyone else can do with some other property because Star Wars is unique in that it is owned by its creator. That is unheard of in Hollywood.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's because Lucas owns Star Wars and he owns the animation studio: Lucasfilm Animation. So the licensing cost is $0.

You might think that, but that is not how Hollywood works. I guarantee you that Lucasfilms is charged a standard licensing fee.

Hollywood companies tend to be vertically integrated. As in, the studio owns (in part or entire) the production company, the post-production company, the SFX company, the processing company, the ad company, the distribution company and possibly even the theater.

And at every step, fees get charged. That is because the people who own the above get paid based on what their companies do. So if you are an owner of a studio- and everything else in the company- you're getting a check at each step.

And don't forget, because Lucasfilms is an American company each and every employee must belong to a guild or union or else the Hollywood folks get very, very upset.

IATSI, SAG, VAG, BoEGaR, AES, etc all make sure entertainment employees have the right credentials so they can get their share of the dues. Why do you think a lot of the image work on most cartons is done in Asia? In other words, it ain't cheap.

Cor Azer

First Post
You might think that, but that is not how Hollywood works. I guarantee you that Lucasfilms is charged a standard licensing fee.

Hollywood companies tend to be vertically integrated. As in, the studio owns (in part or entire) the production company, the post-production company, the SFX company, the processing company, the ad company, the distribution company and possibly even the theater.

And at every step, fees get charged. That is because the people who own the above get paid based on what their companies do. So if you are an owner of a studio- and everything else in the company- you're getting a check at each step.

If taken to silly/criminal extremes, it's also how money is shuffled around such that record-breaking blockbusters make no *ahem* profit.

Remove ads