• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Star Trek TV Series In Development

Mallus

Legend
I'm game for a new Trek. Initially, I wasn't too interested in continuing forward from Voyager -- I'd love to see Star Trek 2009: The Next Generation-- but I've been re-sampling a little Voyager on Netflix recently, and I've warmed to the idea of a every-is-quantum-now, we're-going-to-have-timeships-whee! future.

Year of Hell is actually a damn fine pair of episodes (how could I forgot it was Kurtwood Smith as the alien general nuking continuity for love?).

Anything can be done well, even post-Voyager Trek (if you can remake BSG...).

I'd like to see a ship. I wouldn't mind Kzinti, or Ferengi, for that matter, if they got actors as good as the ones on DS9. I could do without Trek marines... violence in Star Trek should be done by unitard-wearing hypocrites claiming to be peace-loving scientific diplomats, not by soldiers. Ditto not wanting anything that focuses on Starfleet operations --unless a war breaks out (and it probably won't, since wars are costly, and the last two didn't pan out too well for the respective networks, ratings-wise).

I'd like Trek for contemporary audiences; more arcs, more long-term character development, with a smattering of traditional Trek techno-morality plays.

And miniskirts. It is not implausible for them to have returned (again) by the 24th or 25th century. Some of men can wear them, too (that would maintain old Trek's high standard of egalitarianism!)

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...And miniskirts. It is not implausible for them to have returned (again) by the 24th or 25th century. Some of men can wear them, too (that would maintain old Trek's high standard of egalitarianism!)

It's called a Kilt! - Scotty

;)

qstor

Adventurer
It didn't say who David Foster was? My first reaction is..does he have the clout to pull this off? And as much as I dislike Rick Berman some of his "crew" like Manny Coto did a great job on Enterprise. And would be good to have along in some fashion.

Mike

Fast Learner

First Post
I'm guessing that getting broadcast rights to something the size, age and complexity of the Star Trek franchise as it currently exists is a pretty hefty initial outlay. I don't think an animated series would generate enough of a return to be viable.

Lucasfilm seems to have done well with The Clone Wars, though.

Lucasfilm seems to have done well with The Clone Wars, though.
I was going to say the same thing... Actually, the monetary outlay versus gain is probably a lot better with a cartoon series. Voice actors don't make near what a live actor does in terms of tape to dollar figures, mostly because voice actors can do two full episode takes in the time it takes for one set take on a series, and you tape the voices one at a time and splice them together, much less likely for a run a bloopers begetting bloopers due to the giggles.

Animation, however will be the sticking point. A really well animated series would take a team of artists some time to conceptualize and realize a series of cohesive episodes. Of course the Asian cartoon mills could turn them out in "seconds" but you have that decidedly BESM style that turns my stomach. The original carton used the old "American?" style of realistic animation.

What we don't need is the part animated, part real live acting, all crap style they tried to use in the craptacular Dragonlance cartoon - utter poopscicle.

Welverin

First Post
Animation, however will be the sticking point. A really well animated series would take a team of artists some time to conceptualize and realize a series of cohesive episodes. Of course the Asian cartoon mills could turn them out in "seconds" but you have that decidedly BESM style that turns my stomach. The original carton used the old "American?" style of realistic animation.

Do you not realize a lot of animated shows are actually animated in Asia?

Where a show's made doesn't determine the style.

Fast Learner

First Post
Do you not realize a lot of animated shows are actually animated in Asia?

Where a show's made doesn't determine the style.

Absolutely. Decidedly non-BESM shows animated in Asia include The Simpsons, DuckTales, and SpongeBob SquarePants, along with portions of the last several Disney films. The animation style is dictated by the creators, with the tedious work being done in, generally, South Korea.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You are all wrong.

They should set the new series in the post-DS9 era alternative universe (you know, the one with all the goatees & psychopaths).

That way, they can get an overturning the Empire vibe and recycle/repackage the best of Star Wars/Firefly/Blake's 7. And make it aaaaaall better.

;)

Remove ads