• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New Take on the 4E Druid...

eloquentaction

First Post
I've gone in and modified malcolm_n's Druid with a new version.

Emphasis was made on making the 3 different types of druid playable as well as some tweaks on adding a little more healing ability.

Please give feedback (your choice of good or bad).

-- Hirahito

Here's a link: Hirahitos_Druid.pdf

chronoplasm

First Post
I don't really see any need to make the Druid a hybrid class.
As has been pointed out by others:
The Fighter is a defender, but has some secondary functionality as a striker.
The Paladin is a defender, but has some secondary functionality as a leader.

I think the Druid could just be a striker who happens to also make a good defender in animal form but I think I'd prefer to see the Druid as a leader who also makes a good striker. The animal transformation stuff could just be like buffs. Monkey Feats for example is the kind of spell I would expect a leader to be able to cast if you could do it on another party member.

Otherwise, good stuff.

eloquentaction

First Post
I don't really see any need to make the Druid a hybrid class.
As has been pointed out by others:
The Fighter is a defender, but has some secondary functionality as a striker.
The Paladin is a defender, but has some secondary functionality as a leader.

I think the Druid could just be a striker who happens to also make a good defender in animal form but I think I'd prefer to see the Druid as a leader who also makes a good striker. The animal transformation stuff could just be like buffs. Monkey Feats for example is the kind of spell I would expect a leader to be able to cast if you could do it on another party member.

Otherwise, good stuff.

Excellent points. If you look at the Wiki for Druid, I originally suggested a Druid should be a Leader role.

Unfortunately, that would require a complete re-look of the class. I'll take a look at it. It might be possible with a minimal amount of effort.

chronoplasm

First Post
I don't think it would be that big of a change.
I think if the Druid was allowed to change any target into an animal instead of just changing herself it would be a big step in the right direction. The Warden Druid focuses on keeping team-mates protected from harms way, right? What better way to do that then to transform your team-mates into turtles for natural armor or birds to fly around and dodge attacks?

*edit*

ALSO

Why are there no Druid powers in there called "Wicker Man". Thats like so obvious. You burn an enemy in effigy to heal the members of your party.
Hmmm... now that I look at it you do have this power called Healing Fire. Lets change the name of that to Wicker Man because it's cooler.

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
I don't think it would be that big of a change.
I think if the Druid was allowed to change any target into an animal instead of just changing herself it would be a big step in the right direction. The Warden Druid focuses on keeping team-mates protected from harms way, right? What better way to do that then to transform your team-mates into turtles for natural armor or birds to fly around and dodge attacks?

*edit*

ALSO

Why are there no Druid powers in there called "Wicker Man". Thats like so obvious. You burn an enemy in effigy to heal the members of your party.
Hmmm... now that I look at it you do have this power called Healing Fire. Lets change the name of that to Wicker Man because it's cooler.

While humorous, there's no way in hell I'm changing a power to something with Nicholas Cage in it. ;-)

And I don't think the powers should shape-change the other party members, I think it should animal-like properties to them. I'm working on my Power Card set at the moment, but I have a good idea where I want the powers to go; thanks to your advice.

-- Hirahito

chronoplasm

First Post
Coolies.
If you don't mind a couple ideas I'm just going to throw out there...

Offering to the Moon
You mark a single enemy as a sacrificial offering to ensure good harvest.
Whenever a party member deals damage to the marked enemy, that party member gains that much life back.

Break Construct
Elemental forces cause unnatural machinery to malfunction.

eloquentaction

First Post
Coolies.
If you don't mind a couple ideas I'm just going to throw out there...

Offering to the Moon
You mark a single enemy as a sacrificial offering to ensure good harvest.
Whenever a party member deals damage to the marked enemy, that party member gains that much life back.

Break Construct
Elemental forces cause unnatural machinery to malfunction.

I like those. I'll see what I can do to put them in.

Darth_Asparagus

First Post
Oh yeah, the druid. I played one once (3.5), because my DM said that no one would ever take that class because it sucked. I really loved it but I think what I liked about the class differs a lot from what WOTC think is cool about it.

I had an Camel animal companion and took mounted combat feats. Before we figured out that the 3.0 camel had a misprint, it had a bite that put any carnivore to shame. :D

I also liked the animal conjuration and the cool nature spells (turning into trees, entangling people, wlaking through undergrowth unimpeded).

On the other hand, I rarely wildshaped. That was not my favourite concept. Turning into an elemental is cool but into a bird - that's 80ties fantasy stuff. ;)

That being said, I would really have a striker in mind for the druid, with some secondary focus on healing. However, while it is totally not my build, I really like the document you have put together.

eloquentaction

First Post
Oh yeah, the druid. I played one once (3.5), because my DM said that no one would ever take that class because it sucked. I really loved it but I think what I liked about the class differs a lot from what WOTC think is cool about it.

I had an Camel animal companion and took mounted combat feats. Before we figured out that the 3.0 camel had a misprint, it had a bite that put any carnivore to shame. :D

I also liked the animal conjuration and the cool nature spells (turning into trees, entangling people, wlaking through undergrowth unimpeded).

On the other hand, I rarely wildshaped. That was not my favourite concept. Turning into an elemental is cool but into a bird - that's 80ties fantasy stuff. ;)

That being said, I would really have a striker in mind for the druid, with some secondary focus on healing. However, while it is totally not my build, I really like the document you have put together.

Thanks!

Yeah, this class has 3 main 'builds'. A defensive wildshaper, an offensive wildshaper, and a humanoid leader type.

The wildshaping is a lot like WOW. In fact, the class has a lot of WOW characteristics.

So, if you like druids in WOW, you should like this class.

-- Hirahito

chronoplasm

First Post
I think I'd prefer to see the defensive build taken out to give more attention to the offensive and leader builds.
I'd like to see a lot more animal conjuration. The few that you have are nice. Brother Wolf is cool. Stirge Attack is even cooler. I would like to see more variety though.

Thieving Magpie
You summon a bird to steal a small item from an enemy.

Snakefire
You can enchant a projectile so that it transforms into a cobra when fired.

Living Lightning
You summon a lightning elemental that heals an ally everytime it deals damage to an enemy.

I'd also like to see things like...

Burnwillow Weapon
Until the end of the encounter, target wooden weapon gets a +1 enchantment bonus and becomes Flaming.

The Arcane Archer was weak. I think it would be cool to merge the Arcane Archer into the Druid and give the Druid effects that enchant wooden weapons and leather armor.

Ballad of Ironhide
Allies with natural armor or leather armor gain +1 AC for the rest of the encounter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads