• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New to Shadowrun

Imperialus

Explorer
Regarding cyberware and mages:

As I recall, lowering Essence lowers your Magic (Or Resonance). Period. And it rounds down. So yes, cyberware on a mage is a hilariously bad idea. The second you install a single bit of cyber or even bioware on yourself, even if it's just .1 points of Essence lost...BAM. Your Magic/Resonance goes down a full point. You're right regarding the maximum though - hilariously enough, every lost point of essence also lowers your maximum Magic/Resonance. So yeah, you get smacked TWICE for it.

I'd agree that it's a sacrifice, but at the end of the day dropping your softmaxed magic from 5 to 4 due to essence loss costs you 10 BP's.

On the other hand 1 point of essence to play with will get you a pair of rating 3 cybereyes, and a set of rating 3 skillwires. That can ramp up your mages versatility considerably more than throwing one more die in a sorcery test can.

I'd agree that it's a sacrifice, but at the end of the day dropping your softmaxed magic from 5 to 4 due to essence loss costs you 10 BP's.

On the other hand 1 point of essence to play with will get you a pair of rating 3 cybereyes, and a set of rating 3 skillwires. That can ramp up your mages versatility considerably more than throwing one more die in a sorcery test can.
Trauma Dampeners is what you need, IIRC. Maybe that's not longer true in 4E, it certainly was great in 3E. ;)

tylermalan

First Post
I wonder how it went?

It went alright! Surprised me with the NECROOOOOO!

We played a few sessions of an intro adventure taken from... somewhere. I think the core book? Our team was big - 8 people I think. I played a stealthy guy.

It was fun and we definitely liked it, so much so that I think we all kept wanting to play it consistently, but the group broke up as it was a military group and lots of people (including myself) were moving away.

We had issues with the complexity. I, personally, tried reading the entire book before we started, and I got totally lost in the hacking and magic sections. I ended up skipping them. In-game, the hardest part was knowing (and remembering) which skill and which stat combined to give a dice pool to any given task, and, especially with hacking, we found that there were a LOT of specific tasks that each skill could cover. We just barely started to get into the swing of things after 4-ish sessions, but hacking was still hard.

Remove ads