D&D (2024) New UA one D&D play test document Dec 1st.

Dausuul

Legend
I can, for sure, given the less nebulous nature of using those skills with the new proposed Study Action.
The Study Action clarifies which knowledge skills apply to what, and emphasizes that using a knowledge skill costs an action. But that's all. The actual benefits remain incredibly nebulous;
it doesn't give any sort of guidelines for what sorts of "important information" can be obtained, or the DC of the check, or anything. The value of this benefit is entirely DM-dependent, which is one of the things they say they're trying to move away from.

Contrast the Hunter's Lore feature (ranger subclass) from the last playtest packet, which lays out exactly what information you get.

Incenjucar

Legend
I like the ardling, but I think it would help to have a non-divine beast "species" in there to provide contrast. Alternatively, create a more build-your-own beast species that gives you options that include the divine element while also offering other ones. Maybe literally give them a choice between a mundane ability (maybe second head-specific option?), and then Arcane, Primal, or Divine versions of the flexible cantrip.

Kind of odd that the damage boost to unarmed attacks doesn't convert the damage to Slashing, too. Maybe let the player choose damage type at creation time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Divine Intervention is an odd choice when they called out that "Mother May I" is something that they're trying to remove from the game. That ability (while I love the story implications) is entirely up to the DM to decide what to do with. You know, if it ever happens, which will be almost never.

I'm afraid that I think it needs to be excised and replaced with something more boring, but more reliable.

mellored

Legend
Divine Intervention is an odd choice when they called out that "Mother May I" is something that they're trying to remove from the game. That ability (while I love the story implications) is entirely up to the DM to decide what to do with. You know, if it ever happens, which will be almost never.
It's basically a down time resurrection spell.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
  • I like the "Holy Order" mechanic--basically, the decision to be a "weapons cleric" or a "magic cleric" is no longer dependent on domains, it's a separate choice made at 2nd level. However, the scholar option feels incredibly underwhelming compared to the other two. Even allowing for the fact that it's much easier to get heavy armor training now, I can't imagine picking a few knowledge skill bonuses over a) heavy armor or b) rapid Channel Divinity recharge.
Note that the scholar not only gets two knowledge proficiencies, they can also add their Wis mod to checks with those proficiencies. That’s in addition to their Int mod. Depending on your stat spread, that’s potentially better than expertise. True, it is the only option of the three that doesn’t grant a combat benefit, but I do like that this fixes the problem of the party wizard having a better religion check than the cleric simply from having high Int.

Remove ads