D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
New lineage options!

I'm going to take a moment to say, they should really release a book where all of the past races are redone using this new system, if they go forward with it. I know they are fighting tooth and nail to not have to push for a “5.5” or “5esentals” but really the design philosophy of races and classes have changed enough to where they should do something along those lines.

Ability Score Increases
Now a stand-alone feature separated from race.
Increase one score by 2 and a different score by 1, or increase three different scores by 1.

Creature types:
Of note, none of these have multiple types. Did they drop the mechanic? We will see when the Ravenloft book drops I suppose. I liked the idea of that mechanic, but in practice it just piled on weaknesses without any benefits.

Fairy
Clap your hands if you believe.

Fey Characteristics.

The default quirk list is more saccharine and less Fair Folk. But that is the style nowadays.
They are Fey, and nothing else.
They are small and fast.

Fairy Flight is (walking speed) magical flight with a hover and no gear restrictions.
Fairy magic adds one of the best level 1 spells to your spell list and gives you a free cast.
Fey Passage lets you slip through basically any gap.

Thoughts.
Basically, I would consider this one overpowered. The only thing it doesn't have is Darkvision.

Hobgoblin of the Feywild
So, goblins are from the feywild now?

Fey Ancestry.
Just advantage VS charm. They are still humanoids, but are they goblinoids?

Fey Gift.
Bonus action help, at pb/lr. Also it does other stuff too. Temp hp and disadvantage on 1 attack are good at level 1, but scale poorly, an extra 10 speed could be more significant.

Fortune from the Many
Now, this is the real deal. An up to +5 bonus whenever you miss an attack or fail a check or saving throw. Not only does it only work when you would have otherwise failed, +5 is a huge bonus and you can use it pb/lr.

Thoughts.
Not in the same league as the Fairy, but still powerful. The more interesting bit, to me at least, is the new goblin lore.

Owlfolk
Once, Owlbears, now Owlfolk. What next, Gelatinous Owlcubes?

Pick your size. That's nify.
Darkvision. Better than normal but not superior (presumably because that means they get light sensitivity?)
Magic Sight. Well, not quite, it lets you cast detect magic as a ritual, which could be handy.
Nimble Flight. Like Aarakocra, you have wings and arms. Unlike Aarakocra, your wings aren't puny little things and you can fly around in full plate.
Silent Feathers. The stealth skill for free.

Thoughts.
This seems to be the new direction in flying PCs: Flying is Flying, take to the sky. To be fair, the armor restriction wasn't a real balance concern anyway. The real concern is having a warlock or longbow user snipe people from so far away the target can't retaliate.

Rabbitfolk
Was there much demand for rabbit-people or is this a new anime thing I missed?

Pick your size, again. Now I wonder if this is a new secret standard they are testing.
Hare-Trigger. That pun is bad. But +pb to initiative is a huge boon.
Leporine Senses. Free Perception.
Lucky Footwork. A reaction for a bonus 1d4 when you fail a dex save, not the best feature but could come in handy.
Rabbit Hop. +1d12 distance as a hop when you move 5'. I have to say I don't like this mechanic. It doesn't snap clean to a grid (which all movement should).

Thoughts.
Comes in strong, but peters-out in the end. There has to be a more elegant and integrated solution to letting a rabbit hop around.

ccooke

Adventurer
What Do I Know About First Impressons? Folk of the Feywild

I did a breakdown of the Unearthed Arcana on my blog, looking at trends from Tasha's as well as the previous Unearthed Arcana for Gothic Lineages.

A few points:
  • You don't link to the original PDF, as far as I can see.
  • On hobgoblins, you pick ONE of the extra 'help' abilities, and the disadvantage applies to the next attack by whoever you hit (not the second attack, which would be horrible to track).
  • The hobgoblin save bonus from nearby allies is mechanically identical to the 'Save face' ability on the standard PC hobgoblin. It is a complete rewrite of the fluff in a way that isn't problematic.
  • On owlfolk - Any creature with a fly speed can use their movement to fly the turn after they fall. The "nimble" feature here is being able to catch themselves as a reaction on the same turn.

Hussar

Legend
Just read the Fairy one. Wow, that seems VERY powerful. Flight with hover, squeezing through basically any space and a couple of free spells. That's potent as heck.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They just so happen to release a UA that includes two races from a setting that's been increasingly popular with nearly identical mechanical traits?
WoW devs were working on Pandaren for years before Kung Fu Panda. But everyone screams about how WoW was just copying a popular movie. Concurrent development does happen. I’ve not even heard of the game you’re claiming they’re copying here.

Unwise

Adventurer
I was considering playing a Mastermind Rogue in my next game. If the DM was to allow me to play a hobgoblins that would be unreal.

I am sure it is not balanced around being able to use the cool new abilities every single turn. The Mastermind would miss out of the ability to use Help as a bonus, since they can do that anyway, but the ability to give 2 people 1d6 THP, 10 move, or 2 enemies disadvantage on attacks every turn is pretty great.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases