• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Heroes of Krynn Revisited

WotC's Jeremy Crawford has announced a new Unearthed Arcana article today with redesigns from the prior Heroes of Krynn UA based on feedback, and in the following video he discusses that feedback and what's in the article: New iteration of Kender based on feedback survey, due to mixed response. This time is a back to basics, aiming to capture 1E AD&D fearlessness, curiosity and taunting...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford has announced a new Unearthed Arcana article today with redesigns from the prior Heroes of Krynn UA based on feedback, and in the following video he discusses that feedback and what's in the article:
  • New iteration of Kender based on feedback survey, due to mixed response. This time is a back to basics, aiming to capture 1E AD&D fearlessness, curiosity and taunting skills. Delve into their origins from Gnomes in deep history.
  • Kender are no longer fey creatures who grab objects from the Feywild
  • Tweaked Feats from prior article
  • Tweaked Backgrounds from prior article
  • Brand new rule giving a list of free Feats for ANY Background
  • Free Feat rule for Level 4 for all characters that doesn't take the ASI away, based on a curated list
  • Reveals that in the Adventure, healing magic is already back.

Also: Dragonlance Battle Masters can get a total of 10(!) Combat Maneuvers: Battle Master's 6's from subclass progression 2 from taking the Martial Adept feat, 1 from having the Superior Technique Fighting style, and 1 from Knightly Order.

Why would anyone want to play a non-Knight battlemaster? I am not fond of this. As I mentioned earlier, I was actually fine with the using Hit Dice mechanic

Also: Dragonlance Battle Masters can get a total of 10(!) Combat Maneuvers: Battle Master's 6's from subclass progression 2 from taking the Martial Adept feat, 1 from having the Superior Technique Fighting style, and 1 from Knightly Order.
now if we could just make that the base fighter that adds subclass too

Weiley31

Legend
Why would anyone want to play a non-Knight battlemaster? I am not fond of this. As I mentioned earlier, I was actually fine with the using Hit Dice mechanic
It's in the subclass name. You have Gary whose a scout subclass fighter. Started out life as a farmer. Sure he does a decent job slaying a Draconian. Good kid.
But Lance, the guy whose been training in war all his life, trained by Regis the Master Swordsman of the 12 Plains hidden in the Valley of the Sixth Heaven? Ya He's a Battle Master. And there's a reason why he's a master of warfare. And his skills show it.

J-H

Hero
So, at Level 1, if you take a Background other than the Mage and Knight, you can choose a Feat from:

• Divinely Fabored (from this UA)
  • Skilled (from the PHB)
  • Tough (from the PHB)

At Level 4, everyone gets a free Feat from the list, though they need to meet the prerequisites (so only the Knights can take the Knight Feats, Mage the Mage Feats) the PHB list is as follows:

• Alert
  • Mobile
  • Sentinel
  • War Caster
Every single character class likes that set of choices...something for everyone there. This makes it easier to define a playstyle early on, although frequent Sentinels are going to lock up fights more.

The Solamnia backgrounds hand out a LOT of superiority dice (PB+2).

Remove ads

Remove ads