Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Rune Knight, Swarmkeeper, The Revived

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 21.14.02.png

gyor

Legend
Also, once upon a time, Native American socalled ‘mythology’, Japanese, and other cultures, were also an official part of ‘D&D lore’.

Sometimes it is necessary to think more clearly and respectfully − and accurately − when D&D lore traditions, in fact, refer to other cultures.

Or you can realize it is just a game that takes inspiration from different sources and not confuse it with an essay on a culture. There is this concept called free speech, and their is nothing disrespectful about borrowing inspiration in fiction for various cultures, all cultures have done it, and been better for it, it's called multiculturalism and cultural exchange and it's the life blood of cultural evolution and innovation.

Yaarel

He Mage
this is the last I’m going to comment because I don’t want to derail further. Literally every article I could find has the origin of Nordic myths starting from the northern Germanic paganism. Which makes sense, since people migrated from south to north. Unfortunately there is very little written record prior to the romans getting involved, but all evidence, and all the articles I could find, have those myths of Woden starting in northern Germany.

but let’s say for sake of argument you’re right. Even if it started in Scandinavia, it is undeniable that much of the pagan peoples of Northern Europe worshipped the same gods. Ergo, someone from Northern Europe would not be culturally appropriating that religion since they have the same shared beliefs culturally.

so...either way, your position is mistaken.

By ‘northern Germania’, the archeologists mean ... Denmark.

Germania is an exonym that Romans invented. Indeed, the ‘Germanii’ tribe is probably a Celtic tribe. Most of Germany (Latin Germania) is Celtic tribes, especially from the previous Celtic La Tene culture that covered most of Germany.

Notice where the socalled ‘Proto-Germanic’ language originated! Norway, Sweden, and Denmark! It originated in Scandinavia. Socalled Proto-Germanic is a Nordic parent language that is indigenous to Scandinavia that developed from within Scandinavia.

240px-Pre-roman_iron_age_%28map%29.PNG

Notice there are two separate colors. The red is the Nordic cultural zone. The magenta is the ‘Germanic’ cultural zone, associating archeologically with Jastorf culture. It is uncertain if the Jastorf ‘Germanic’ culture is actually speaking any ‘Germanic’ language at this time. Perhaps, they might have adopted the Nordic language from their northern Nordic neighbors. Or the ‘Germanic’ culture might be speaking a Celtic language from their southern Celtic neighbors. Or some other language.

Notice which direction the Nordic (‘Germanic’) language spreads, from Scandinavia into Continental Europe.

1571369043171.png

Continental Europeans adopted a Scandinavian language for unclear reasons that appears to radiate out of Denmark.

When these ‘Germanic’ tribes adopted the Nordic language, they also imported, borrowed, and reinterpreted indigenous Nordic traditions.

Scandinavia is the origin of the wrongly named ‘Germanic’ language. But every Nonnordic culture that adopted this language, no longer had the original Scandinavian context. In the new Nonnordic contexts these Nonnordic cultures completely reused and reinterpreted things like Nordic sacred names, according to local Nonnordic traditions.

Last edited:

By ‘northern Germania’, the archeologists mean ... Denmark.

Germania is an exonym that Romans invented. Indeed, the ‘Germanii’ tribe is probably a Celtic tribe. Most of Germany (Latin Germania) is Celtic tribes, especially from the previous Celtic La Tene culture that covered most of Germany.

Notice where the socalled ‘Proto-Germanic’ originated! Norway, Sweden, and Denmark! It originated in Scandinavia. Socalled Proto-Germanic is a Nordic parent language that is indigenous to Scandinavia that developed from within Scandinavia.

240px-Pre-roman_iron_age_%28map%29.PNG

Notice there are two separate colors. The red is the Nordic cultural Zone. The magenta is the ‘Germanic’ cultural zone, associating archeologically with Jastorf culture. It is uncertain if the Jastorf ‘Germanic’ culture is actually speaking any ‘Germanic’ language at this time. Perhaps, they might have adopted the Nordic language from their northern Nordic neighbors. Or the ‘Germanic’ culture might be speaking a Celtic language from their neighbors.

Notice which direction the Nordic (‘Germanic’) language spreads, from Scandinavia into Continental Europe.

View attachment 114960

Continental Europeans adopted a Scandinavian language for unclear reasons that appears to radiate out of Denmark.

When these ‘Germanic’ tribes adopted the Nordic language, they also imported, borrowed, and reinterpreted indigenous Nordic traditions.

Scandinavia is the origin of the wrongly named ‘Germanic’ language. But every Nonnordic culture that adopted this language, no longer had the original Scandinavian context. In the new Nonnordic contexts these Nonnordic cultures completely reused and reinterpreted things like Nordic sacred names, according to local Nonnordic traditions.
Okay. That is great. How does it relate to these classes?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Wow.

Kind of like the heroic paladin, the rune knight feels pretty mythic. The rune things makes me think dwarves, and the giant part, goliaths, but if I was going to play one, it would probably be a dragonborn who is convinced he is growing into a "real dragon." Oh yeah, fire shackles are a nice image.

I predict this thread will degenerate into 30 pages of complaints about (and defenses of) the beast master because of the swarm keeper. I don't suppose I could appeal to anyone's good nature to skip it this time.

So that is what become of the revenant race from the Old Black Magic UA of many years ago. Nice use of sneak attack.
I thought of a Dwarven Rune Knight and reflavour the runes to dwarven runes!

Kurotowa

Legend
Yeah, perfect with either Mountain Dwarf or Duergar. Especially the later since their racial enlarge should stack with Rune Knight as long as you do it in the right order.

For my part I'm a big Eberron fan. When I hear "ancient giant rune magic" I think of Xen'drik, and when I think of Xen'drink I think of drow. Right now I'm bouncing between a drow finesse Rune Knight and dark skinned half-elf Rune Knight from Stormreach, even though it'll be ages before I get a chance to play either of them.

Remove ads

Remove ads