D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed. I believe that this is the most likely option. We already have lore for Giants in Volo's (yes, it's being discontinued digitally, but we don't know if they're doing that physically), and there just aren't enough Giants in the history of D&D to justify a book like Fizban's for Giants.
That, let me assure you, is not true. Giants and Giantkin are more than enough for an equivalent book, especially with more Primordial material.
Fizban's, the book made primarily by James Wyatt, was also the book that introduced most of what we know about the First World. And, in case you haven't seen the interviews with him about the book, he seemed really excited about the concept and talked about it for quite some time.
Yeah, he wrote a poem and a two page explanation of how it is an obscure metaphors, maybe, who can say? It's not a Setting, it's a Mythic background concept.
There was no "player stuff" in Storm King's Thunder, unless you count the magic items. No races, no backgrounds, no subclasses. What are you referring to?
The several pages of Rune magic.
How are Dinosaurs related to Giants? I'm pretty sure they've been stated to be related to Dragons in past editions. Sure, in 4e, Primordials/Elementals/Titans were related to Giants, but wouldn't that also point to this book being a "First World" setting book that takes place during the Dawn War?
Dinosaurs are part of the Primordial set of creatures related to the Elements.

I see no reason to suspect that the "First World" is going to be or was ever intended to be taken as a Setting, but as a Mythic framework. This material all feels much more like a Primordial/Titan/Giant answer to Fizban's. And this is a way they can extend that Multiverse theme, too, right from Fizban's to Spelljammer to this to Planescape.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
3rd's edition's subsystem books.
Oof. No thanks.
Why would it have to be that way?
You introduce
  • The Rune List
  • the Rune-Spell chart
  • The Rune Carver Feats
  • The Runecrafter Wizard
  • The Rune to Whatever Customization Racial Trade Chart
  • A reprint of the Rune Knight Fighter
All in some "First World: Adventures in Prehistory" book. And that's it. If you want runes, all in one book.
I can’t even adequately express how much I hate this idea. Conversion charts.

That would be enough to cause me to not even consider buying the book.

Or, they could do it in a way that actually fits 5e, and requires no conversion tables.

Feats, subclasses, and maybe something like tattoos, which are magic items that work slightly differently from most other magic items, but not to a degree that actually matters.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What new ideas? Streamlining and removing/altering content to conform to shifting social mores is not innovation. The only thing even close is the feat/background combo they've been experimenting with in UA, and that's nothing new to 5e, just to WotC.
Tbh, I’m bored to death with your constant crapping on wotc and everything they do. please don’t reply to me if this pointless negativity is all you’re going to reply with.

We all have things we dislike. Most of us don’t spam every other thread with negativity about those things.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Tbh, I’m bored to death with your constant crapping on wotc and everything they do. please don’t reply to me if this pointless negativity is all you’re going to reply with.

We all have things we dislike. Most of us don’t spam every other thread with negativity about those things.
Positivity can be just as pointless, if more pleasant.

Fair point though. I'll try to keep it to a dull roar.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Agreed. I believe that this is the most likely option. We already have lore for Giants in Volo's (yes, it's being discontinued digitally, but we don't know if they're doing that physically), and there just aren't enough Giants in the history of D&D to justify a book like Fizban's for Giants.

Fizban's, the book made primarily by James Wyatt, was also the book that introduced most of what we know about the First World. And, in case you haven't seen the interviews with him about the book, he seemed really excited about the concept and talked about it for quite some time.

There was no "player stuff" in Storm King's Thunder, unless you count the magic items. No races, no backgrounds, no subclasses. What are you referring to?

It doesn't matter. It matters just as little as the fact that Eberron exists in the Great Wheel matters. It's completely useless to the people that don't use it and can be ignored extremely easily, and it's a great concept giving quite a lot of people exactly what they wanted for the rest.

Whether or not the First World actually existed is up for debate both in setting and in the real world, and even if it's confirmed that it did, it doesn't matter to the rest of the D&D Multiverse except to explain a few meta-questions (why so many of the same creatures appear in very different settings).

Did you miss 4e, or are you purposefully ignoring Nentir Vale/Nerath? The World Axis Cosmology is still very popular, even though it's not the base cosmology of 5e. Some of its planes (Feywild and Shadowfell) were even integrated into the Great Wheel due to how popular they were.

Or Fizban's, where they completely reinvented the concept of Great Wyrm dragons to make them more than just "Bigger Ancient Dragons", and introduced the idea of the First World, and introduced quite a few new monsters, too. Or the several new adventures that they've come up with since 5e's start (a lot of them are pretty bad, but there's still a lot of creative/inventive stuff in them).

Wtf does "creativity" mean to you? Does it exclusively mean "the ability to make new D&D settings" while excluding the fact that they were the ones that created Nentir Vale, the Feywild and Shadowfell, and have announced their plans to publish 2 completely new D&D settings in the next couple of years?

Why would you need to own Fizban's in order to use a First World setting book? I seriously doubt that there is literally anything in that book that would be necessary to play in a First World setting. Tasha's Cauldron of Everything talked about the First World before Fizban's did and the revisions to the Vistani before Van Richten's came out, and it's not like you need to buy TCoE to understand either of those books.

. . . Are you not familiar with Eberron? Or Ravnica? Or Theros? Or Spelljammer?

I see absolutely no reason why a First World or Prehistoric Setting book would be a "Standard Ren-Medieval D&D Setting with Dinosaurs and more Giants".

I mean, sure, there are a lot of "standard, pseudo-medieval D&D settings out there" (most created by TSR, not WotC, btw), but there are also quite a few major exceptions, and there's no reason to assume that WotC would make the First World/a Prehistoric Setting be one of those, based on the very concept alone.

How are Dinosaurs related to Giants? I'm pretty sure they've been stated to be related to Dragons in past editions. Sure, in 4e, Primordials/Elementals/Titans were related to Giants, but wouldn't that also point to this book being a "First World" setting book that takes place during the Dawn War?
You know, I did skip over 4th ed in my post; that was wrong of me. They had a lot of cool ideas, just couched in a system that really didn't work for me. The World Axis and all its attendant history is a pretty good cosmology (especially from a game perspective), it's just not the one I prefer, and I hate when things I like are replaced by things I like less. The mirror planes are good additions too.

Something being creative doesn't have anything to do with whether or not I personally like it, but the fact is I have disliked most of what WotC has put out lately, which makes me feel less charitable to them. It's not fair, and I apologize.

Despite my reactive dislike of the First World, Fizban's is the most creative recent book out of WotC, so I'll give them credit for that.

What about the duergars and springgans? There is enough space for a vikings vs dinosaurs setting. And the saurian shifters. You can bet somebody will want a dinosaur monster-girl as waifu, and in my opinion they would be cooler than tielflings. Not all the fun is going to be only for the dragonborns.

1653630247437.png

1653630173260.png

I guess this time the setting will be new line, or something like Strixhaven or Witchlight, a mixture of adventure and lore+crunch. Or maybe it is the reboot, or spin-off, of an old but almost forgotten setting "Jakandor". And if you ask about the reasons of this retcon, the answer is "Vecna did it". Or it wouldn't be world but a plane, something like a "brother" in the middle between the Feywild and the Shadowfell, the "Thornedge" but more linked to the elemental chaos of Limbo.

300px-Marc_Fishman_giant_on_mammoth.jpg

ecbd2013b48c76d9df08fe6e2662bd58.jpg

I guess the world will be designed to allow later other continents with no-European tribal cultures, but here the first step will be with homebred by the fandom, to test the reaction and to avoid risks about troubles with accusations of cultural appropiation or like this.

If there is giants in this setting but not dragons, then we should ask the reason they hadn't creating an empire conquering the rest of tribes.

Why? I never played 3e and have no experience with feat chains. I don't see the downside if it is an option, but not every feat. I like the idea of a bunch of general feats, then a few feat chains that can reinforce a theme. I just don't see the issue with not having it as an option.
They where overlong and overcomplicated, making the difference between hardcore min-maxers and casual players huge.

But so long as they are kept short and simple they are a good way to customise characters outside of the class structure. I prefer feats to multiclassing.

A leads to B leads to C is fine. The problem is when you need A + Z + W to get to B, where several of those feats are rubbish and only worth taking because they lead to an awesome one.

It also tended to produce a lot of "my character sucks right now, but when I get to level 20 I will be awesome".

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads