D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's a cliche of a particularly unexciting kind. To me anyway. It's trite - dictionary-definition trite - "dull on account of overuse". I mean, every time a power comes up that can make a PC larger, people are saying "Oh I could use it on a really small PC and make them really big", and to me, that is just a really boring and repetitive cliche/trope. I do get that it is funny the first time it happens, but I think it tends to be something that gets very old very fast. YMMV and all that.
What exactly do you consider to be the gold standard of unique and original D&D material that has been released by whatever company over the last however many years? I imagine there must be some things you give a wholehearted thumbs up to? You're still playing the game so there's gotta be something that's been floating your boat this entire time, right?

Urban Fantasy
Just FYI, this is a confusing misuse of the term "Urban Fantasy", especially with the capitalization.

Urban Fantasy does not refer to "fantasy set in cities". Independently that's what those words mean, but it's a very specific (and prolific) subgenre, and it very specifically means that it's set in approximately the real world and usually the modern day, or at least the 20th century and later, but that there is magic present to some degree (usually hidden in the shadows, but not always).

This is not intended as a criticism of you, just like, if you use that term that way, people are going to get confused, especially those not familiar with Ravnica. Ravnica is rather a renaissance-era high fantasy setting that is set on a bizarre city-world.

This just made me chuckle a bit. People overall absolutely care more about the mechanical benefit of a subclass over its theme. The Hexblade has the worst theme of all of the Warlock subclasses, but is still a really popular choice for when people choose to play a Warlock.
Yeah this is true. People pick Pact of the Blade for the theme/style, but my experience is that they are then quite reluctant to pick Hexblade, even though they're more or less required to, in order to avoid MAD and function properly. But they do usually pick Hexblade.

Yeah this is true. People pick Pact of the Blade for the theme/style, but my experience is that they are then quite reluctant to pick Hexblade, even though they're more or less required to, in order to avoid MAD and function properly. But they do usually pick Hexblade.
I mean Hexblade is just an awkward patch to do what the blade pact was supposed to do.

Last edited:

What exactly do you consider to be the gold standard of unique and original D&D material that has been released by whatever company over the last however many years? I imagine there must be some things you give a wholehearted thumbs up to? You're still playing the game so there's gotta be something that's been floating your boat this entire time, right?
I'm not sure why you're asking this in response to me pointing out a response from players to certain material is highly predictable and repetitive? The WotC material here is okay. It is itself neither particularly trite nor particularly original. The issue I have is that whenever a class or ability appears that lets you make things larger, players immediately seize on the idea of making size S PCs as large as possible, and I find that to be trite and boring, myself. I guess as it happens constantly and completely predictably, I should get over it, but maybe my response to it is equally predictable!

Or did you quote the wrong bit or something? I believe I made a post expressing concern about WotC's ability to create original worlds/settings earlier, though I can't recall if it was in this thread. If you're asking about that, fine, but the quote is odd, because that is about players, not about WotC.

EDIT - Presuming the quote was unrelated, I would say the last time WotC reached the "gold standard of originality with a setting" was the fifth of never.

I'm not even saying that to be jerk! I genuinely cannot think of a "gold standard original" WotC setting. 4E was the closest WotC has been, by far, what the Feywild and the Shadowfell, and the Elemental Chaos and so on and so forth it seemed like it was on the way there. But they never made an actual setting out of it, just a vague implied setting, and that implied setting (The Nentir Vale) was definitely not gold-standard original, and as the edition went on, originality declined as much as it increased (for example in using the poorly-developed and low-imagination three-letter acronym version Monte Cook version of Sigil, rather either the more visionary original, or a novel take).

One of the reasons I'm less of a fan of D&D than I used to be is that WotC don't really do original settings. First let's put aside MtG - all the settings for that are intentionally somewhat trite/predictable. This is a feature not a bug. They're all "MtG does X", like MtG picks a genre or vibe and does it in a peculiar and predictable MtG way, which is very limited and delineated by the bounds of the MtG magic system and so on. Most of their settings are "fine". They're fundamentally unexciting. Theros was more interesting than most, Ravnica less than most (particularly as it is a "poor man's Sigil" - the poverty in this case being of imagination). Going forwards it looks like MtG is going to maybe abandon even that in favour of using existing non-MtG IPs, returning to existing MtG settings, and so on.

Anyway, if WotC did original settings more, they'd get more money out of me. Eberron was, for what it was, probably gold-standard. What is was required to be though was a completely 3E-friendly kitchen-sink setting. I'd say that within those bounds, it was gold-standard. But that was in 2004 and "within those bounds". If you look at fantasy settings on a larger scale, it doesn't make the cut, quite, imho. Before that TSR did a few genuinely original settings. Planescape obviously, I don't think anyone is seriously going to challenge the idea that in 1994, that was a gold-standard original (not platinum standard sure but...). If anything it was before its time, and since then many of the ideas it showed off have become commonplace, and it has been much emulated (WotC have like, what at least three "poor man's Sigil"-type places?). Dark Sun was also, whilst inspired by a lot of things, very original for its time period, and the more you look at the setting, the easier that becomes to defend, too. I'd argue personally that Taladas, despite being part of the deeply-trite Dragonlance setting, and using a lot of fantasy and historical ideas, ended up with something that, for the period, was a highly original vision. In 1989 that is a gold standard.

Is it harder to reach a gold standard now? Yes, probably. But honestly I'd be happy with a silver standard original like Eberron. I suspect we'll get bronze standard at most, and "no medal" standard is more likely.

Last edited:

DataDwarf

Explorer
So - any speculation about the upcoming product that this is tied to?
My cynical brain immediately went to a reprint of Storm King’s Thunder with player options and monsters updated to the new format. The dinosaur reference makes me possibly the prep for a reprint of Tomb of Annihilation also.

What better way to resell the old adventures then to update the monsters and add player options? Depending on the level of effort they want to put into it. They could also update some of the less well received portions of the adventures. Even if the books do half as well as the initial release it is a huge win for the amount of overhead. And then they are will be ready for the anniversary release.

But I have to admit this is all probably overly cynical.

Azuresun

Adventurer
It's not that Micah hates D&D, but they aren't very happy with decisions WotC are making with the product- it's becoming less a game they want to play, and moving towards becoming something else, and there isn't much they can do about it other than be the voice of one crying out in the wilderness.

I mean, here are your options when it comes to any ttrpg. If you like it, you play it. If an option comes out that you don't like, you have to not use it in your games and put up with it in others.

If there is a significant design shift, such as moving away from short rests, that you don't like, it's much the same way- ignore it in your games and put up with it in others.

This can eventually lead to a scenario where new content isn't worth very much to you since you'd need to adapt it to fit your game, and it might be based on a new design premise you don't care for.

At a certain point, you've become some sort of D&D Luddite that has been left behind by the new game, and the only new content that exists for you is what you make on your own. And when you mention this, people dismiss you, say you're a hater, or worse, tell you to go play some other game.

Not a great feeling. And take heed! As the game evolves and changes, this could happen to you!

It has, in other hobbies I enjoyed. I then moved on to other things I liked, rather than hang around the communities of those hobbies bringing people down.

("Toxic positivity" and "WOTC fanboy" accusations incoming in 3....2....)

Really the Circle of the Primeval doesn't feel very Primeval. It feels like they had a "animal companion" subclass prepared and pasted "Primeval" "Old" and their synonyms all over it
Sure, but I don't see why that a would be a problem. It makes the subclass more generally useful if it also works for a grizzy bear companion.
I predict the majority of Primeval Companions created will be regular Normal beasts. Id be shocked... SHOCKED.. if over 30% of Primeval druids roleplay the prehistory and actually use dinos, mammoths, and saber toothed cats/dogs if the DM doesn't do a Prehistoric setting.
I agree. But surely that's an advantage if it lets more players play the kind of character they want.
To me a "Giants" or "Primeval" Druid would be a Caveman Warrior druid going "Ugh Me Smash", buffing their club and hide, and clubbing does with a suped up Shillelagh cantrip.
You can make that character with a druid of the land.
I'd care about dino and mammoth flavour. But the rules do not properly represent a dino or mammoth. It is pathetically weak compared to the MM versions.
All pets have to be offensively weak because of action economy considerations. This one is a decent tank though.
My point is that the settings lack a major rules variant.
Theros has a major rules variant. Actually, it has three: piety, supernatural gifts, and no core races apart from human.

Artificers, on the other hand, are not a rules variant. You do not have to be in Eberron to play an artificer, I've seen plenty running around in the Forgotten Realms and in the Feywild.
Urban Fantasy does not refer to "fantasy set in cities". Independently that's what those words mean, but it's a very specific (and prolific) subgenre, and it very specifically means that it's set in approximately the real world and usually the modern day, or at least the 20th century and later, but that there is magic present to some degree (usually hidden in the shadows, but not always).
Have you read the Ravnica novels? The one I read was a modern-style police procedural, very much like Bright or Rivers of London. Ravnica might not be exclusively Urban Fantasy, but the novel I read fitted the subgenre exactly. It sure aint medieval, anyway. But then no D&D setting is.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
How is this different from the current allocation of feats? Whether a take unrelated feats, or feats that have a link, doesn't change the frequency of customization.

Also, I am not talking about only having feat chains, so they would be strictly an option for those who want them.

If you would be taking a feat anyway, and the feat is something you want, you are not giving up anything. You are simply gaining something. I mean what is the drawback of taking feats at 4th and 8th level that are related to each other versus taking feats at 4th and 8th level that have no relationship to each other.
Say a player wants an ASI or a different feat, and then wants the second feat in the chain.

They can't do that.

Is it because it's too powerful? Then is the first one too weak to offset? Bad design.

Is it appropriately powerful but someone else is saying that I shouldn't have an appropriate feat because they don't think it's thematic? Bad design.

Where is it good design to deny that customization to the character? Where is it good design that to have a feat that will be unused unless a character devotes all regular ASI/feat customization opportunities to it.

Again, if there were more customizations it's not as bad. But with the current setup and expected length of campaign it takes those feat out of use except in rare conditions.

Remove ads

Remove ads