• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

OB1

Jedi Master
The feats let you imbue non-magical items with magic, which is pretty similar to what the Infuse Item ability does for Artificers. The feats being a secret test of alternate multiclassing was just me being facetious.
I'm not so sure you aren't on to something, though. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the 'major' changes to the 2024 rule book will be presenting Feats as the standard and ASIs as the optional rule, with multiclassing remaining optional. Going one step further, the 'class-dip' feats could be presented as the 'preferred' way to multi-class. Feat's being the standard instead of ASI would also make including these feat chains easier, since there would be no worry about having to decide between a Feat and and ASI at 4/8/12/16/19. Perhaps Rogues and Fighters would still get the option for an ASI at their bonus levels.

Bottom line, I think PHB'24 will be strongly encouraging the use of Feats in games moving forward, and IMO, that makes some good sense, since the game math for higher CR creatures is really based on a an assumed +3 attack stat, and the ASI bonuses that exist now work as first a +1 and then a +2 magic weapon, intentionally giving players an advantage over the math (not to mention how good that additional +2 makes certain feats like GWM and SS). I already strongly encourage my players to choose feats over ASI bumps, but haven't yet implemented it as a requirement.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Breathe, dragons; sing of the First World, forged out of chaos and painted with beauty. Sing of Bahamut, the Platinum, molding the shape of the mountains and rivers; Sing too of Chromatic Tiamat, painting all over the infinite canvas. Partnered, they woke in the darkness; partnered, they labored in acts of creation.

Breathe, dragons; sing then of Sardior, ruby-red jewel they made in their likeness; Sardior, first-born of dragonkind, labored alongside Bahamut and Tiamat, Shaping the dragons they crafted: dragons metallic and dragons chromatic. Breathe, dragons—draw in the life-gift breathed into you at the dawn of creation.

Breathe, dragons; sing of the outsiders, war-bringer gods with their mortal adherents; Teeming, they came to the First World, seeking a home for their legions of followers. Mighty in magic and numbers, conquering deities seized their victory. Fallen was noble Bahamut, Sardior hid in the heart of creation.

Breathe, dragons; sing now of Tiamat, raging in battle with no hope of victory. She would not flee or surrender, fighting as death reached its cold claws toward her. War-bringers seized her and bound her, snatched her from death, entombed her in torment—Sealed in the darkness forever, captive to gods laying claim to creation.

Breathe, dragons; sing of the conquest, seeding the world with their legions of followers, Each to their own habitation, elves in their forests and dwarves in their mountains, Orcs in their caverns and canyons, goblins in badlands and halflings in green fields, Lizardfolk lurking in marshes, humans throughout every part of creation.

Breathe, dragons; sing of Bahamut, maker of peace with the outsider deities, Welcomed to mountains celestial, worshiped by some as the Platinum Paladin. Sing of his journeys of seeking, striving to understand gods and their children, Longing for Tiamat's freedom, grieving her loss from the face of creation.

Breathe, dragons; sing of her freedom—Tiamat loosed from her prison of torment! Tell how she rallied her children, dragons chromatic, a spectrum of mayhem. Sing of her fury, her vengeance, lightning and venom, ice, fire, and corrosion, Five-headed, monstrous, and mighty, rampaging on a campaign of destruction.

Breathe, dragons; sing of the First World, scattered in infinite seedling realities. Sing of Bahamut and Tiamat, watching its sundering, mourning their labor. Sing too of Sardior, sundered, consciousness scattered in minuscule fragments. Breathe, dragons: you are inheritors, ruling the wreck of the First World's destruction.

To me, this isn't a Platonic realm of ideas, it's a description of a time period of before the gods (of elves, dwarves, goblins, orcs, humans etc) came and wrested control of the Material Plane away from the dragons. Considering how most lore adds Giants and Dragons in competition with each other "before the humanoid civilizations" it makes a lot of sense that one of the new settings is really a book describing how to play a game in the period of the First World. So sort-of a setting but almost a time period that predated most D&D settings.
I think the main question that would make that difficult to do would be, how do you play any of the normally playable races in such a world?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
That's the myth, but the immediate gloss of the poetic myth on page 6-7 are explicitly Platonic readings thst apply it to various D&D worlds.

I would expect a counter-Myth from the Giants and Primordials would lead a new book, but a "First World" Setting seems a stretch.

It doesn't seem to read like that at all to me;

The elegy suggests that before the myriad worlds of the Material Plane came into being, before Oerth and Toril and Eberron and Krynn existed, the primordial dragons—Bahamut and Tiamat—worked together to create the Material Plane in the form of a single First World. All the worlds that now constitute the plane are, in the words of the poem, "seedling realities" formed when the First World was sundered in some unexplained catastrophe.

This sounds much more like an actual place. It doesn't exist anymore, but I don't think that particularly matters... in fact, a good chunk of the book could be about how the First World will eventually end and be split into multitudes of worlds.

Now, this elegy doesn't mention giants, but I see no reason why the First World can't also contain giants who share (and compete) with dragons for control of the world.

We already know that the D&D Team is working on entirely new settings, and they love to tease their books in earlier releases. If I were to write this, I'd also make it a lot like the Ravenloft book (which is essentially a "how to run horror D&D" book) where it is "how to run prehistoric D&D" book. So yes it's a primer on the First World, but a lot of material can be used for your own game to run a "sent back through time" adventure in a normal game, or just to add a prehistoric period to your own homebrew world.

I personally just don't find a "Fizban's but Giants" as something particularly interesting... we've gotten a lot of giant content already, and although there is room for more I'd suspect a book like this would include a lot of reprinted material from Volo's, goliath, firbolg etc, and I hope the D&D team doesn't bother with that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The feats let you imbue non-magical items with magic, which is pretty similar to what the Infuse Item ability does for Artificers. The feats being a secret test of alternate multiclassing was just me being facetious.
Similar is doing too much work here for me to really agree.

And they've already tested feats as MC alternative, they just haven't called it out as such. Tasha's has several, the PHB has a couple, and IIRC Xanathar's even has a couple.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It doesn't seem to read like that at all to me;

The elegy suggests that before the myriad worlds of the Material Plane came into being, before Oerth and Toril and Eberron and Krynn existed, the primordial dragons—Bahamut and Tiamat—worked together to create the Material Plane in the form of a single First World. All the worlds that now constitute the plane are, in the words of the poem, "seedling realities" formed when the First World was sundered in some unexplained catastrophe.

This sounds much more like an actual place. It doesn't exist anymore, but I don't think that particularly matters... in fact, a good chunk of the book could be about how the First World will eventually end and be split into multitudes of worlds.

Now, this elegy doesn't mention giants, but I see no reason why the First World can't also contain giants who share (and compete) with dragons for control of the world.

We already know that the D&D Team is working on entirely new settings, and they love to tease their books in earlier releases. If I were to write this, I'd also make it a lot like the Ravenloft book (which is essentially a "how to run horror D&D" book) where it is "how to run prehistoric D&D" book. So yes it's a primer on the First World, but a lot of material can be used for your own game to run a "sent back through time" adventure in a normal game, or just to add a prehistoric period to your own homebrew world.

I personally just don't find a "Fizban's but Giants" as something particularly interesting... we've gotten a lot of giant content already, and although there is room for more I'd suspect a book like this would include a lot of reprinted material from Volo's, goliath, firbolg etc, and I hope the D&D team doesn't bother with that.
The Volo's stuff is all being actively left behind, though, so I wouldn't consider that relevsnt in any way regarding future product speculation.

If Fizban's was well received, and it seems that it was, a similar book seems very likely, and Giants seem one of the most likely categories to fill up an entire book and bring in all the Giant stuff from across all priorneditions and give it a new gloss. I'm not saying it's what I want, pwr se, but it seems the most likely explanation for the material presented from James Wyatt in this article.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
UA Giants: Time to live Large and In Charge. Alternate tag line: Yet another reason why the Elemental Evil spells should be Core

Barbarian Path of the Giant.
Ask not for whom tosses the gnome, for the gnome is tossed by the.

Giant Power
Continuing in the tradition of D&D Giants being magical creatures (which is probably a good thing considering the Square-Cube Law) You can speak the language of Giants and do so with bluster thanks to your shiny new cantrip. I really like Prestidigitation style cantrips, and part of me is hoping that whatever book this class is in will also include the elemental evil cantrips, because giants do have a bit of an elemental theme as well. Either way, this power is a total ribbon.

Giant’s Havoc
So we finally see the Barbarian counterpart to the Rune Knight that a lot of people want. And as predicted it basically turns you into the Incredible Hulk. This power makes you and everything you are wearing Large, which gives you an extra 5’ of reach. Additionally, you can toss ranged weapons for extra damage while in a rage. Which mitigates what is perhaps the Barbarians greatest weakness in combat.

It's important to note that your weapons do not get larger with this power, it is worded in a way to avoid that entire messy bit of rules. The wording on the damage bonus likewise prevents you from hurting people with a net. Also of note, most thrown weapons have relatively short ranges compared to bows or the like, perhaps turning into a hulking hurler should give you extra range when you throw things, 60/120 feet would be a fine range to implement, given that Barbarians have extra movement to make up the gap.

Elemental Cleaver
Going back to giants having elemental powers: You get to deal elemental damage with your primary melee weapon, which also gains the throwing property, and have it return to your hand. This is really fun, mitigating almost all of the problems of using a thrown weapon (aside from the short range problem). Of note, putting Thrown on a melee weapon doesn’t make it into a Ranged Weapon, which prevents stacking GWM and Sharpshooter.

Mighty Impel
Tossing people around, while amazingly fun and a great tactical option, comes online FAR too late at level 10. This is the “Fun Bit” of this class that everyone is going to want, it should be level 6 at the latest. Unfortunately that means something else would have to go into the level 10 slot, as the current level 6 power also feels like it wouldn’t be powerful enough at this level.

Demiurgic Colossus
Dear WotC, I know you like taking random cool sounding words and appending them to creatures and powers where they don’t belong. But “Demiurgic?” for a Barbarian subclass? Barbarians are all about smashing, not creation or talking! At any rate, this capstone is in fact capstone worthy, making the barbarian bigger, giving more reach, and letting them deal extra damage. Though I would like to point out being huge can be quite the detriment in some situations, so it would be wize to make the extra size bonus optional.

Thoughts:
More range on throwing weapons, toss people at level 6, Elemental Evil spells as core, optional size increase, did I forget anything? Oh yes, scaling the weapon size would avoid the situation where it looks like you are wielding a toothpick, free up some design space for level 6 (thanks to the damage scaling), and be cool in general. You could even use a “Specific VS general” rule here to prevent abuse.

Druid Circle of the Primeval

It was a night like this forty million years ago
I lit a cigarette, picked up a monkey skull to go
The sun was spitting fire, the sky was blue as ice
I felt a little tired, so I watched Miami Vice
And walked the dinosaur, I walked the dinosaur

Finally the Dinosaur Druid everyone has been wanting ever since they first saw a T-Rex as a little kid. Now, where is that Plant Druid? (And Mushrooms don’t count as plants!)

Keeper of Old
History proficiency and not-expertise. Instead opting for the +d4 treatment. Are we ever going to see a cap to the amount of dice you can stack on a roll? We should if they ever want to seriously explore this mechanic in-depth. But let’s face it, this power isn’t why you are here.

Primeval Companion

Taking the new creature companion rules and running with them, this creature is mechanically a beast instead of a spirit, but does the same summoning tricks. It is medium sized, allowing a small Druid to ride them and has a bodyguard ability to redirect half the damage from an attack on a nearby target to them. It’s worth noting you could also make this into any kind of animal that isn’t a Dinosaur, like say a big red puppy-dog, but that’s up to you.

Prehistoric Conduit
You can now cast spells from your Dinosaur. Your inner child is now beaming at the thought of a T-rex shooting lightning everywhere. Also they gain Evasion and have advantage on saving throws.

Titanic Bond
Your Dinosaur is now Large, and can Climb or Swim, making it better for a mount. Also when you hit with an attack or deal damage to a creature with a spell (can't that all just be compressed to “deal damage”? Why is that wording so clunky?) you can inflict fear on them.

Scourge of the Ancients
You can expend spell slots to buff your pet, Making them Huge, Deal more damage, or move faster. The buffs last for an hour each, and scale with level which is a decent return on investment, for the lower level spell slots you are going to use this with anyway. It’s interesting that Flight isn’t an option here.

Thoughts
Part of me thinks this is fine, the other part of me demands that it be stronger because Dinosaurs.

Wizard: Runecafter

Apparently this wizard didn’t go to any school. And apparently WotC hasn’t learned that the general populace really hates wizard subclasses, especially ones that mimic other classes' features.

Runes of Understanding
Instead of casting Comprehend Languages as a ritual, you can cast it for free as an action, for ever and ever.

Runic Empowerment
Oh boy. Metamagic, again. I can predict this subclass to bomb, again.

Life Rune. Temp HP, it would be ok, if the populace let it happen.
War Rune. Everyone gets a +x bonus to attacking a target of your choice until the end of your next turn. Throwing out another way to break bounded accuracy too? Well, it’s not like this subclass is going to see print, so whatever.
Wind Rune. A free disengage is great for getting away from whatever you had to be within 30’ of in order to hit your other runes.

Sigils of warding.
You can auto-save a Con Saving throw, which includes Concentration Saving throws, as a reaction. That would be amazing by itself. You can also auto-save a STR or DEX save, should you really need to not fall off a cliff or something.

Rune Maven
Extra uses of your Runes of Understanding, but tied to a clunky mechanic that triggers when you use Arcane Recovery.

Engraved Enmity

Bonus action debuffs, that use your concentration, and also require you to be within 60’ of the target.

Runecraft’s Bane. So they have disadvantage to save against your spells now, just make sure you aren’t casting a spell that requires concentration or that will instantly drop your debuff.
Unveiled Enemy. If you have See Invisibility going, you can make a creature visible to everyone.
Woeful Curse. Mark a creature for extra damage , which causes them to take a total of 1d8 extra damage.

So underwhelming for a capstone. There are some tricks to use with Runecraft’s Bane, but otherwise it’s not worth it in most encounters.

Feats

Now with Prerequisites, and trees, hinting that they are going forward with the Dragonlance changes.

Elemental Touched
Oh hey, do you remember the Elemental Evil cantrips that let you bend the elements? I do, they would be great here. Anyway, you get Druidcraft or Thaumaturgy. All other powers of this feat follow the new PB/LR standard., and require a bonus action. Additionally you can only pick one of these per day.

Air: Fly speed for one round.
Earth: Difficult Terrain within 30’ of you for 60 seconds that doesn’t hinder you.
Fire: Disengage, and possibly obscurement depending on your DM.
Water: a 10’ push with a save based on your Save DC.

I cannot stress how much this feat needs the Elemental Evil cantrips, they are absolutely perfect for eachother, especially if you can swap the cantrip out with your elemental attunement.

Ember of the Fire Giant
Resistance to fire, at level 8?
Also you can throw a mini-fireball instead of making a weapon attack. That second one should just be a spell attack you can do whatever instead of a pb/lr power. You could even drop the blind part to keep it at level 4.

Fury of the Frost Giant
Cold resistance, and a reaction to fear when someone hits you pb/lr.
I don’t see the connection between ice and fear to be honest, you would think it would be some kind of slow effect instead.

Guile of the Cloud Giant
No resistance this time, instead you just get free blur without any concentration 1/lr, which is added to your spell list. Also expertise in your choice of Deception or Persuasion.

Keenness of the Stone Giant
Again, no resistance. Instead you get darkvision. At 4th level.

You get Detect Thoughts and one additional spell, basically another variant on the same “spellcaster initiate” theme.

Outsized might
Skill proficiency, Powerful Build, resistance on being moved or proned. This is exactly the kind of feat that is only taken when you get a bunch of feats to spread around for free.

Rune Carver Apprentice.
Pick one spell out of the long list, you can cast it for free and add it to your spells known. Then swap out the spell the following day if you feel like it. As a base level feat, it's worse than the other feats that just let you pick multiple spells to learn permanently.

Rune Carver Adept
This is what makes the previous feat worthwhile, you can instead pick PB number of runes to make each day. I would like to state that these kinds of feat trees are why I hate feat trees. Start off weaker than normal to end up stronger than normal, all the while locking you into a predetermined character progression. Feats should be for being different, not for being the same.

Soul of the Storm Giant
You get the divination spell as a ritual, and have a very small aura of control, both once per day. Not worth it at level 8 requirement.

Vigor of the Hill Giant
You can ignore a push or prone as a reaction.
You gain extra HP when you are healed with a spell, pb/lr.
Honestly not that great.

Closing Thoughts:
Where are the revisions to the elemental Sorcerers that got left out of previous books?

I like the classes conceptually and druid with a proper pet is certainly nice. I have some quibbles with how they chose to represent things mechanically though. The size changing seems weird, gamey and underwhelming (applies to the druid's pet too.) Why wouldn't the strength score be affected by becoming large or huge? What happens to the barbarians weapons? If they increase in size why their damage doesn't scale in the same way than actual giant weapons? What happens if a huge barbarian slays a storm giant an picks up their greatsword?

As for the feats, not a fan. More feats to give characters spells and spell like powers as well as defining features of certain species. Also not fan of feat chains.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The Volo's stuff is all being actively left behind, though, so I wouldn't consider that relevsnt in any way regarding future product speculation.

If Fizban's was well received, and it seems that it was, a similar book seems very likely, and Giants seem one of the most likely categories to fill up an entire book and bring in all the Giant stuff from across all priorneditions and give it a new gloss. I'm not saying it's what I want, pwr se, but it seems the most likely explanation for the material presented from James Wyatt in this article.

Only being left behind by D&D Beyond, and primarily because there are now competing statblocks for the same monster. Beyond that, the old books are still being printed and I don't see why that would change.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is it possible they're going to revisit Storm King's Thunder? I only ask because WizKids recently (as in this February) released three box sets of minis from that adventure.
If they are doing a Fizban's style book for Giants of the Multiverse, the player stuff from SKT seems likely to be reprinted.

Remove ads

Remove ads