D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

kapars

Adventurer
There’s also something called an Oceanus Dragon. Are these just ones that didn’t make the cut for Fizzban’s and so they wanted to acknowledge them with cards?

JEB

Legend
There’s also something called an Oceanus Dragon. Are these just ones that didn’t make the cut for Fizzban’s and so they wanted to acknowledge them with cards?

It would certainly be interesting if more with dragons was planned, too.

EDIT: Or this is a Planescape clue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

It would certainly be interesting if more with dragons was planned, too.

EDIT: Or this is a Planescape clue.
Well, the thing about the Cataclysm Dragona, IIRC, is that they sided with the Primoedials against the God's. If Wyatt is working on a Giant Fizban's equivalent, then maybe Cataclysm Dragons would fit in the Primordial economy of creatures...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Well, the thing about the Cataclysm Dragona, IIRC, is that they sided with the Primoedials against the God's. If Wyatt is working on a Giant Fizban's equivalent, then maybe Cataclysm Dragons would fit in the Primordial economy of creatures...
Sorry, sorry. I'm just giggling at the image of WotC is making a Giant-focused monster book like Fizban's, but they're having a hard time finding enough creatures popular enough to bring to 5e, and James Wyatt going "well, what about those Elemental Dragons we had from 4e. Those were pretty popular, right? Let's put some dragons that we should have had in our Dragon book in our Giant book!"

I could see Cataclysm Dragons coming back for a Dawn War-focused Prehistoric D&D book. I cannot fathom them adding them to a Giant-focused D&D monster book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry, sorry. I'm just giggling at the image of WotC is making a Giant-focused monster book like Fizban's, but they're having a hard time finding enough creatures popular enough to bring to 5e, and James Wyatt going "well, what about those Elemental Dragons we had from 4e. Those were pretty popular, right? Let's put some dragons that we should have had in our Dragon book in our Giant book!"

I could see Cataclysm Dragons coming back for a Dawn War-focused Prehistoric D&D book. I cannot fathom them adding them to a Giant-focused D&D monster book.
Primordial focused.

I can easily see such a book rising directly out of the give and take about what to include in Fizban's bleeding into bringing in the other major fiction of the Dawn War.

Yeah. I'm not saying they should redo Chult. I'm merely pointing out that a setting that includes or is even centered around dinosaurs is doable. And I agree, there would need to be more than just dinosaurs. Saurials(or the equivalent) and other interesting addons.
And a setting about dinosaurs that turn into giant robots is doable. Or one where the player characters are all ponies. It's just that there is nothing in the current UA that suggests it is actually being done!

But we are also seeing the suggestion that a setting "in the past" would have dinosaurs. But that's trying to apply real-worldisnms. In D&D there is no evolution or extinction. The worlds are simply patterned after the First World (if you accept that creation myth). So, whilst the First World would have dinosaurs, because every D&D world has dinosaurs, it would also have antimatter rifles. It's not a prehistoric land of the dinosaurs. It's a GenericFantasyLand with the Generic dialled up to 11.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads