D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find it hilarious that you dragged out all of these polls, claiming they supported your claim--but as soon as they're shown to not support you, you say you don't give them any credence. Sour grapes much?

And if you honestly, truly, don't care about these polls, then why on earth are you even trying to claim that most people, or a majority of people, or whatever it is you're claiming? Why not just say "I personally prefer rolling for stats, I will always prefer rolling stats, and I will do this even if some far-off edition of D&D gets rid of it completely." Why try to say that your preferred method is the majority method? Just embrace your reverse-hipsterness and admit you like something after it stopped being cool.
The point is that there isn't any particularly good evidence that point buy or the array ate "ascendant" or the majority. The evidence from the small sample size sloppy polls is ambiguous, and the D&D Beyond Big Daya suggests that there is no majority approach at all, with rolling appearing to lead Beyond users in a plurality.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The point is that there isn't any particularly good evidence that point buy or the array ate "ascendant" or the majority. The evidence from the small sample size sloppy polls is ambiguous, and the D&D Beyond Big Daya suggests that there is no majority approach at all, with rolling appearing to lead Beyond users in a plurality.
You may want to tell Max that instead of me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I find it hilarious that you dragged out all of these polls, claiming they supported your claim--but as soon as they're shown to not support you, you say you don't give them any credence. Sour grapes much?
You apparently haven't been following my posts if you think I dragged them out to support me. I've said at least 3 times that they don't mean anything and there's no hard evidence to support point buy and array as being the majority. I'm just pointing out that they don't even support you guys who attribute meaning to them. ;)

JEB

Legend
My group definitely uses both rolling and point buy. I've never seen a live human use stat array. I'm always a bit boggled when I see someone say they prefer it.
Our group pretty much exclusively used stat array, even though all three options were available. Guess we liked to play it safe with our stats.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My group definitely uses both rolling and point buy. I've never seen a live human use stat array. I'm always a bit boggled when I see someone say they prefer it.
We used it once when my old group first started 5e as it was quick to set up and we were all new to the edition. Newer characters in that campaign used point buy. Now with other groups we're all rolling, though one player wanted to just use point buy.

Personally, I don't like standard array (using it only if I join a group that uses it), I'm fine with point buy, I prefer rolling.

Remove ads

Remove ads