D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

If WotC tries to add in any sort of flavor mechanics - stuff for outside of combat
I haven't been keeping up with all the new UA's--what's an example of flavor mechanics?

One of the weaknesses of Planescape has always been that the core conceit--belief is reality--has not been a good match for dnd. The 2e PS modules had all sorts of scenarios that mitigated against combat, because what was at stake was a town shifting from one plane to another, or else everything was just too deadly, or because it was about faction intrigue. But the only way for the modules to make that work was by playing out scenes and then railroading solutions. Instead, 2e could only provide things within its toolset: kits, alignment restrictions, meticulous rules for spell interactions.

This UA similarly uses things within the 5e toolset--damage resistances, cantrips and spells, extra healing and extra damage--to try to associate the setting theme (planar philosophers and wanderers) to the system. We'll see how it plays out! If they were being really bold, they might try to produce a "social combat" subsystem (but less complicated than Burning Wheel) or provide a more extensive set of procedures for faction tracking (like in Worlds Without Number). I've read that Strixhaven attempted to do some of this at the level of individual relationships to mixed success.

Undrave

Legend
Fate cleric is a great concept. The execution seems dull. But that's my reaction to most cleric subclasses.
Oh yeah, same here. The Cleric in general feels SO BORING. It doesn't help that the good options are so blatantly better than everything else that it feels like nerfing yourself to try to be different AND those lesser options are less universally applicable compared to the GOOD options... and that never feels good. Almost every cleric ends up feeling super samey.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think I'm like many others hear in regard to the fate cleric. It just doesn't seem super interesting.

Like others here, I think I'm gonna repurpose the glitchling into the rogue modron, and then make a few unique items for it from the old torment game that I can scatter around for any players of them.

I really quite like the feats and the base feat leading into another thematic feat choice at 4th. Planar wanderer also makes reference to portal keys which were a core part of planescape.

I didn't really look too hard at the spells. Spray of cards could probably do with a damage increase for higher levels and I kind of feel like it should deal slashing rather than force damage, but otherwise they look okay.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's some individual bits and pieces i like in here, and some i dislike (though in general i think the concepts are much better than the implementations).

What I'm finding a bit strange is how un-adventurous and by-the-numbers it all is, mechanically speaking. I mean, we're 8(?) years into 5th ed, with a revision right around the corner. In later years of previous editions, D&D started to throw some more experimental concepts out there. Book of Nine Swords. Player's Option. Even the Warlock was originally a late-3e experiment that took off (Player's Handbook 2 i think?). Some of these ideas worked, and some ... didn't (played an Incarnum user lately? Or a Dragon Shaman?).

Surely UA gives WotC an ideal forum to try out wacky and weird ideas, to get an idea of community reaction and possible mechanical pain points before canonicising them in books? But everything in here is just so ... same same, heard it all before. Learn a cantrip and have one use of a 2nd level spell per long rest. Add 1d4 damage once per round. Impose disadvantage once per proficiency bonus per long rest. Yawn. Half of this could have been done with a random generator. The 5e design space seems to be becoming smaller as time passes, rather than larger.
They aren't looking to get quirky and weird, though, because the revision is going to be not that radical. This is about as big as changes are going to get.

I wonder if WotC is planning about a card game within D&D. I don't mean Magic: the Gathering but PCs spellcasting with magic cards. But the rules should be simple or the fight would be too slow to be fun.

dbfelvn-ed9b2a10-78f5-40b5-9aae-10513506b078.png

* I wonder if the "Infinite Staircase" could become the "D&D backrooms" thanks the fandom who don't play D&D but they like to create fanart creepypasta.

* One of the weak points of Planescape is the most of planes were too dangerous for low-level players.

* Sigil is one of the most important places in D&D multiverse, but we should "recover" the Gatetowns. I have said several times the faction war ended in Sigil, but this could continue in the Gatetowns. The mercanes founded other city to be a comercial center and rival to Sigil.

* There is a great potential as adventures hook in the plane of the mirrors. Do you know the 2008 horror movie "The broken" with Lena Heady?

* I think we could bet for a future Torment II videogame after Baldurs Gate 3.

Horwath

Legend
Oh yeah, same here. The Cleric in general feels SO BORING. It doesn't help that the good options are so blatantly better than everything else that it feels like nerfing yourself to try to be different AND those lesser options are less universally applicable compared to the GOOD options... and that never feels good. Almost every cleric ends up feeling super samey.
It would help if Cure spell was buffed a little and moved to healing word mechanics.

1d12 per level of healing and Bonus action with 60ft range. or maybe 2d6 per level to have better consistency.

That way cleric will always have an Action for "fun" stuff and still manage to get decent healing done.

squibbles

Adventurer
I am beginning to really FREAKING hate the plethora of little PROF times per day features. They all need to be tracked separately instead of a common currency like Superiority Dice, and so many little bonuses that "use now or not" bogs things down and leads to choice paralysis.

This is a bad design direction in my opinion. Having, reasonably powerful feature PROF times per day works well. Having half a dozen minor ones is clutter.
Agreed. It's a cool mechanic when there is one prof. per day feature that you track for your subclass. Tracking them for a race and a feat as well would be needlessly fiddly. It might not be a big problem in practice since they're all opt in, but its definitely inelegant.

[...] WotC needs to create a power source that can be used for non-spell things that everyone has. Even something like PF2E focus points, etc, would work well.
It always seemed obvious to me that that power source should be hit dice. Perhaps not named hit dice and acquired at the rate that hit dice currently are, but it would make sense that the mechanic which all PCs use, at baseline, to regain HP while taking a breather could be a resource they draw from when exerting themselves in some special way.

I'd assume that if the backgrounds become tied to feats, a significant section of the playerbase will feel compelled to optimise and certain background/class combos become "mandatory."
Certainly.

It's a weird move, considering what they did to ASI.
Also agreed. I like it that backgrounds are mostly irrelevant to optimization and am not a fan of this development. It seems slightly weird that they are taking distinguishing mechanics out of race while also putting distinguishing mechanics into background. Maybe they wanna move some of the weight of optimization decisions from race to background. Perhaps going all the way with that would make sense? Doing it halfway feels pretty weaksauce to me, though.

[...] God I absolutely loathe never ending, unceasing negativity about absolutely everything that WotC does. It's just so irritating.
I don't care for this UA. But in the spirit of not being unceasingly negative, here are a couple things I do like:

Glitchling's Vestigial Wings and Scion of Elemental Air's Wind's Glide--this is kind of like a platforming game power, which is neat. It's vastly more interesting than full flight, since it helps with some combat and exploration challenges rather than most combat and exploration challenges.

Cartomancer's Hidden Ace--as a 5th level spellcaster, you can cast a 3rd level spell as a bonus action AT NO SPELL SLOT COST. Fun, and not overpowered because it costs an ASI selection. The Card Focus d4*prof is obnoxious and needless, though. And learning prestidigitation at level 4 is clunky.

the House of Cards spell--it's weird af, but building a SUPER flimsy structure is something that nothing else in the game does. It's battlefield control with no concentration requirement, moving creatures vertically, blocking terrain and line of sight, giving you a 30 foot step pyramid with ramps which is usable for 24 HOURS. Is it loadbearing? Could I use it to march a platoon of soldiers over a wall? Can I deal falling damage to everybody on the pyramid if I destroy it myself?

the Summon Warrior Spirit spell--we absolutely did not need another 3rd level summon template to go with three already in Tasha's. Be that as it may, this one strikes me as much more fun and intuitively relatable than all the others. Its a barbarian, fighter, and monk doing (more or less) the things those classes do. Cool.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Heh, and in return for not being unfailingly positive, I'll go the other way.

I don't actually like the vestigial wings thing. Just give characters a fly speed. It really isn't that powerful. People white room theory craft it into this major bonus, but, frankly, it doesn't typically matter that much. If anything, it's super dangerous to the user since so many things - quite simple things really - can cause you to fall. And woe to the flyer that drops to zero HP in the air - automatic two failed death saves for splatting into the ground.

Flight has it's bonuses, but, it's also got some serious downsides as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads