D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Horwath

Legend
Heh, and in return for not being unfailingly positive, I'll go the other way.

I don't actually like the vestigial wings thing. Just give characters a fly speed. It really isn't that powerful. People white room theory craft it into this major bonus, but, frankly, it doesn't typically matter that much. If anything, it's super dangerous to the user since so many things - quite simple things really - can cause you to fall. And woe to the flyer that drops to zero HP in the air - automatic two failed death saves for splatting into the ground.

Flight has it's bonuses, but, it's also got some serious downsides as well.
I do not like fly at will at low levels, it takes out most low level challenges out completely.

Traps? No problem, unless they are magic proximity traps.
Difficult terrain? No problem.
Swimming or climbing challenge? Got it.
opponents with no or weak ranged attacks? easy.

there was a reason that druids can wildshape in flying creatures at level 8.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More likely most will like it, a small amount will hate, and the rest will be in between.
I can guess where you will be.
Mod Note:

Normally, I’d just say something about not making it personal, how this is a classic example, and how we’d prefer you don’t do that here. Yada yada yada.

That’s not on todays menu for this thread. Too many people in this site have been poking at their fellow ENWorlders recently, so I’m trying a different approach.

You’re out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's some insulting rubbish, frankly.

WotC absolutely can win with me, so you telling cheap lies that they "can't win" is just bad faith bollocks on your part. Hypocritical bad faith bollocks given your nonsense about "negativity". It's okay for you to be violently negative, but not others?

I've been extremely positive about a lot of WotC's products (Tasha's was fantastic for example, VRGtR was solid just with some poorly-advised inclusions, to name to recent ones I bought). Overall their direction has been good. This product is ghastly.

Let's be clear, I've never argued against "flavour mechanics" in backgrounds or Feats or the like. Please do not directly lie and say I have. I've only argued for them. Sometimes they're done well, sometimes they aren't. This time they're nonexistent when they should be present.

I'm not asking to have it "both ways". I've been incredibly clear about which way I want it. Don't quote me and me alone and say "you guys". I'm one person. You're telling cheap lies about my opinions and that's not okay.

I particularly want to highlight this absolute drivel of the first water. You're literally being given the thumbs up by people are are unceasingly positive about WotC's product and never have much, if any, of a criticism. And you're quoting someone who has been accused being a WotC defender (me lol) and claiming "unceasing negativity about absolutely everything". That's completely false and you ought to admit that.
Mod Note:

You’re out too.

Hussar

Legend
I do not like fly at will at low levels, it takes out most low level challenges out completely.

Traps? No problem, unless they are magic proximity traps.
Difficult terrain? No problem.
Swimming or climbing challenge? Got it.
opponents with no or weak ranged attacks? easy.

there was a reason that druids can wildshape in flying creatures at level 8.
Well, kinda sorta. Number one, unless the entire party can fly, it just means that one character gets over that difficult terrain.

I've ruled that you cannot take off from swimming, so, that helps too. Falling into water is a bad thing for fliers.

And, I just make sure that I use opponents with ranged attacks anyway. It's pretty rare that I don't - unless we're in small quarters anyway.

Again, I understand why people don't like it, I just don't really mind it all that much. It adds a lot to the game and I find it a much more interesting aspect that outweighs the bad stuff.

Then again, the flying PC in my current game tends to be a bullet magnet every single time - so, it balances out. :D

Horwath

Legend
"returns after 10 mins to reply to being quoted..."

1658214464238.png

squibbles

Adventurer
Heh, and in return for not being unfailingly positive, I'll go the other way.

I don't actually like the vestigial wings thing. Just give characters a fly speed. It really isn't that powerful. People white room theory craft it into this major bonus, but, frankly, it doesn't typically matter that much. If anything, it's super dangerous to the user since so many things - quite simple things really - can cause you to fall. And woe to the flyer that drops to zero HP in the air - automatic two failed death saves for splatting into the ground.

Flight has it's bonuses, but, it's also got some serious downsides as well.
I'll meet you halfway.

I don't think either of those features needs to be limited to prof. uses per day, considering that flying PC races already exist (I initially read vestigial wings to be an at will feature and was then disappointed upon realizing my mistake). Even were I to concede that flight is not overly powerful, I would still find the variety of different approaches to it more interesting.

Greg K

Legend
It would help if Cure spell was buffed a little and moved to healing word mechanics.

1d12 per level of healing and Bonus action with 60ft range. or maybe 2d6 per level to have better consistency.

That way cleric will always have an Action for "fun" stuff and still manage to get decent healing done.
I hope they don't. I like that cure wounds is touch and takes an action.

Remove ads

Remove ads