D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why do you think they decided to create thr Glitchling instead of just making this the Rogue Modron race?

My guess is Glitchlings aren't exclusive to Mechanus, but rather all lawful planes and they aren't modrons, because otherwise Primus would be hunting them down to recycle them if they were rogue modrons.
I think they were just trying to make what they are doing a bit less obvious.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get that you and others are happy. Some aren't, and wish WotC had done things differently. Its not helpful to look at what they gave us and say, "we all don't really need anything more. Right?". You're happy, others aren't, and you don't speak for everyone.
No, but it is good to keep in mind what is realistic moving forwards, which is to listen to what WotC said about the feedback they got.

I think they were just trying to make what they are doing a bit less obvious.

I don't think so, they wouldn't have made the Glitchling humaniod in shape. I could be wrong, but I think they have a reason for seperating Glitchlings from Rogue Modrons? Perhaps RMs they designed are just too powerful to be PCs, or some other issue arose.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, but it is good to keep in mind what is realistic moving forwards, which is to listen to what WotC said about the feedback they got.
I know what's realistic, which is why I have 3rd party options in place. I really didn't like how that statement was phrased, as if what they want (which coincidentally is what we got) is really just fine for everyone. Judging by the responses, I'm not the only one who disagrees.

Why do you think they decided to create thr Glitchling instead of just making this the Rogue Modron race?

My guess is Glitchlings aren't exclusive to Mechanus, but rather all lawful planes and they aren't modrons, because otherwise Primus would be hunting them down to recycle them if they were rogue modrons.
Possibly because Rogue Modrons traditionally have a fixed form - that of a quadrone, as I recall - and making Glitchlings lets them do something along those same lines while letting people customize their character's appearance more freely.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know what's realistic, which is why I have 3rd party options in place. I really didn't like how that statement was phrased, as if what they want (which coincidentally is what we got) is really just fine for everyone. Judging by the responses, I'm not the only one who disagrees.
Nothing is ever fine for everyone, it's about maximizing customer pleasure. WotC tried a bunch of different options, what they ended up with was what they "wanted" per se. They wanted to have a Psion Class for Xanathar's, but it bombed, and they acted on the feedback and iterated.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Possibly because Rogue Modrons traditionally have a fixed form - that of a quadrone, as I recall - and making Glitchlings lets them do something along those same lines while letting people customize their character's appearance more freely.
Rogues are, well, rogue after all.

Best not to read too much into placeholder fluff.

Instead, 5E has multiple psionic subclasses in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything: the fighter's Psi Warrior, the monk's Way of the Astral Self, the rogue's Soul Knife, the sorcerer's Aberrant Mind...

Does 5E really need a dedicated psionics class? It seems like all the bases are covered.
This is pretty flimsy logic. Does the Divine Soul, Paladin, Celestial Warlock, and Zealot Barbarian invalidate the Cleric class?

Remove ads

Remove ads