D&D 5E New Vecna Battle (Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!!!) - CONCLUDED

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
But yeah, they'd need to re-corpsify him first, I'd think.
In which case it would come back as a zombie. ;)

If you want me to dig up the SA on this, I can probably find it.

Here, that was quick:
1657667745120.png

Kill it then Rez it, but in practice it's very heavily a DM call whether or not the corpse is the PC, or the zombie. I was mostly just pointing out that they were a zombie right now in case that was missed.
True Resurrection is the only spell that would work (maybe Wish?). True Resurrection actually states if the creature was undead, it is restored to it's original form. Resurrection stipulates it cannot be undead, as does Raise Dead.

DorkForge

Explorer

Here, that was quick:
View attachment 253537

True Resurrection is the only spell that would work (maybe Wish?). True Resurrection actually states if the creature was undead, it is restored to it's original form. Resurrection stipulates it cannot be undead, as does Raise Dead.
Revivify doesn't say anything on the matter, and Twitter isn't accepted by everyone, I personally wouldn't allow it to work, again, my intention was to draw to the fact they're currently a zombie.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Revivify doesn't say anything on the matter, and Twitter isn't accepted by everyone, I personally wouldn't allow it to work, again, my intention was to draw to the fact they're currently a zombie.
That is because Revivify will work on a zombie--it just comes back as a zombie. It doesn't restore "life" when the humanoid is no longer a humanoid, it is undead. That is why JC remarks about the spell not changing the creature's type.

While Twitter is not gospel, JC does get to reveal the designers' intent through it and SA.

Here, that was quick:
View attachment 253537

I think Resurrection just says the creature can’t be undead at the time.

"Undead" just means that you're dead, but you're still walking around. If you kill an undead, it just goes back to being dead.
Wrong. Your creature type changes to undead. A dead zombie is still a zombie. A dead skeleton is still a skeleton. Zombies and skeletons are not humanoids but they are undead. These spells can no longer help this character. A wish would.

Remove ads