D&D 5E New Vecna Battle (Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!!!) - CONCLUDED

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I totally missed that part, sorry. Can you describe the room a bit? is there a wall (or is it a railing?) between the altar and the "acid" pool?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I totally missed that part, sorry. Can you describe the room a bit? is there a wall (or is it a railing?) between the altar and the "acid" pool?
No problem.

The "wall" behind the altar, statues, etc. is a low wall (more like a balcony really) about 3 feet in height. The next "level" (region) where the dark tower and pool are is 10 feet below the region you're on.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Your best bet would be here I think:

1657650157063.png

As the altar / statue would likely block the line of sight (provided you duck LOL).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You are only supposed to measure sight from one corner.
LOL sort of, the rules specifically say from a corner (meaning any) to any point of the target space. While you measure all lines from that one corner (once you've chosen it), you can choose any corner of the original space.

Just to avoid any possible confusion (hopefully), the diagram shows different possible lines when you chose different origin corners.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I move behind Ezabard, and cast misty step (from the feat) to 7 (here comes counterspell)
At least you're getting him to use those reactions up...

4.4.21 (Selossen) Selossen calls down sacred flame, but Vecna steps near the wall and the spell misses (Roll 17+3=20 vs DC 19 DEX save).

Stepping up behind the fallen (but now conscious!) Ezabard, swirling mists begin to form as Selossen casts misty step, but Venca utters the dread word and the spell is interrupted as Selossen takes 14 psychic damage!

NOTE: @DragonBelow you still have a lot of movement left (30 feet) if you want to move anyplace else, or you can end your turn next to Ezabard? Let me know, okay?

1657652986011.png

It is Vecna's Lair Action Turn on Initiative 20.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ok, in the interest of getting this moving along since I don't know when @DragonBelow will be online to answer, I am taking Venca's Lair Actions and moving the initiative to Pyre.

4.4.20 (Lair Action) As Vecna laughs at the party, four shadows appear next to the PCs and attack!

1657655145455.png

Blue Shadow: Attacks the downed Ezabard! Vyrlim uses his reaction to deny the shadow advantage! The shadow misses (Roll 8+4=12 vs. AC 14).

Red Shadow: Attacks the downed Ezabard and (Roll with advantage (prone target) 19,11+4=23 vs. AC 14) hits Ezabard! For 14 necrotic damage and 4 points of Strength loss.

Yellow Shadow: Attacks the downed Ezabard and (Roll with advantage (prone target) 10,17+4=21 vs. AC 14) hits Ezabard! For 12 necrotic damage and 2 points of Strength loss. Yellow Shadow then moves to flank Pyre.

Drained of all his strength, Ezabard collapses at the feet of Vyrlim and Selossen, dead.

Green Shadow: Attacks the Pyre but misses (Roll with advantage (flanking) 6,8+4=12 vs. AC 17).

The Red and Blue Shadows also move to their final positions for their turn.

Note: Vyrlim used his reaction for protection style against first shadow attack, so cannot make an opportunity attack against either the Red or Yellow Shadows. The Blue Shadow has not left Selossen's reach so is not provoking an opportunity attack.

1657655381003.png

@FitzTheRuke it is now Pyre's Turn on Initiative 19.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Agh. Not these jerks again!" says Pyre and she swung herself around the statue, ran behind the poor woman on the altar, slipped between the altar and the other statue, and lunged her rapier at Vecna once more.

(This is almost pointless, as I can't see a way to get sneak attack, but she'll disengage with cunning action and move as described.)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
"Agh. Not these jerks again!" says Pyre and she swung herself around the statue, ran behind the poor woman on the altar, slipped between the altar and the other statue, and lunged her rapier at Vecna once more.

(This is almost pointless, as I can't see a way to get sneak attack, but she'll disengage with cunning action and move as described.)
I don't know if you want to risk this, but if you don't disengage, you could use Cunning action to Hide. If you beat Vecna's Passive Perception, you would gain advantage that way.

I'll assume you want to go with your original instead of risking this option...

Remove ads