• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Weapon Sketch(es)

Ry

Explorer
You know.... I think it was actually featured in a Polyhedron Magazine back in the day. It just stuck in my mind. The basic idea was a weapon that could bludgeon, slash, or pierce. One end was a blade pointing outward like your oolloo, the other had a ball as a counterweight and a spearpoint jutting out of the ball. So essentially it's a staff with a spearpoint at one end, a weight behind the spearpoint, and an oolloo at the other. I remember thinking that the weapon would lend itself to fights that changed in pace very quickly.

Tetsubo

First Post
This is an illustration for a magic item idea I had. The weapon would be electrically charged. Inspired by a serving fork.

In 3.5 D&D terms it would be a +1 Adamantine Shocking Burst Spear.

Attachments

• spear52.jpg
    spear52.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 494

Tetsubo

First Post
rycanada said:
You know.... I think it was actually featured in a Polyhedron Magazine back in the day. It just stuck in my mind. The basic idea was a weapon that could bludgeon, slash, or pierce. One end was a blade pointing outward like your oolloo, the other had a ball as a counterweight and a spearpoint jutting out of the ball. So essentially it's a staff with a spearpoint at one end, a weight behind the spearpoint, and an oolloo at the other. I remember thinking that the weapon would lend itself to fights that changed in pace very quickly.

Well, I did this sketch for a Dwarven version of that in '03...

The idea of the spear point coming out of the bludgeoning end might be interesting though...

Attachments

• allthing-1.jpg
    allthing-1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 430

Ry

Explorer
I got the impression that the blade was made for sweeping razor-like swipes, rather than axe-like ones, to keep momentum. Here's a diagram with an alternate shape for a blade that would allow both types of strikes. (They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but mine is probably worth only seven or eight)

Attachments

• gladiators friend diagram.jpg
    gladiators friend diagram.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 357

Tetsubo

First Post
rycanada said:
I got the impression that the blade was made for sweeping razor-like swipes, rather than axe-like ones, to keep momentum. Here's a diagram with an alternate shape for a blade that would allow both types of strikes. (They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but mine is probably worth only seven or eight)

I'll see what I can come up with... at the moment I need to visit the hardware store, fixing the bathroom sink...

Tetsubo

First Post
Rycanada's Battlestaff

A gladiatorial weapon. The weight at the base of the spear point is a sphere.

Attachments

• battlestaff10.jpg
    battlestaff10.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 499

Ry

Explorer
Sweet tapdancing elephants! That's perfect! Now I'm picturing gladiators using the hook to do trips and pulling opponents off balance, combining the swipes with snapkicks and maybe grapple attempts.

Fantastic!

Ry

Explorer
I'm going to make that the favored weapon of the church of Taiia (the monotheistic sun faith from the back of Deities & Demigods)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads