• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General New WOTC racism allegations regarding Hadozee and Spelljammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
They didn't really bring her back, especially when MtoF said she was a goddess barely anyones heard of, whose quest is a pipe dream. Or when they cut her temple out of Dungeon of the Mad mage. Hell, in all those articles about revamping the drow, neither WOTC nor R.A Salvator ever mentioned her or her followers. She's still getting kicked to the curb.

You would think hiding 2 clans of good drow (who are so much better than the evil drow. Nicer city, nicer food, better magic, everything!)) for thousands of years would be seen as a win for Eilistraee if she was involved.

I really cant comprehend why they dont use Eilistraee. Of course I dont understand most of what WotC does.

You would think hiding 2 clans of good drow (who are so much better than the evil drow. Nicer city, nicer food, better magic, everything!)) for thousands of years would be seen as a win for Eilistraee if she was involved.

I really cant comprehend why they dont use Eilistraee. Of course I dont understand most of what WotC does.
They've been doing this since they bought DnD from TSR. For all it's faults, TSR made it clear, even as far back as the Dark Elf Trilogy, that drow were indoctrinated and not inherently evil. They dug the hole they're in now because they've gone out of their way to erase the good drow simply to make Drizzt more of a special mary sue.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I must have missed all those minstrel accusations when the core book with this halfling image came out.
636271789409776659.png

Sometimes someone with a lute is just a iconic bard.
Bad Faith is Bad Form. Spoilering the minstrelsy for obvious reasons.

FbbTHJgaUAAv9us
FbbTQmYaMAA9x9_

And? Hadozee are not monkeys or even real world people either but a fictional simean species. That they are uplifted is basically standard and nothing different than "a god made them like they are" which is the origin story of nearly(?) all D&D creatures.
Which also makes everyone slave to the gods when you apply the same strict definition of what a slave is to other species.
"They're not real so it's okay." is right up there with apologizing for Star Frontiers' Nordic and Negro racist bologna.
"That they're uplifted is no different than a god." Yeah, no. This is a clear story about enslavement, not gods.
"Everyone is a slave to the gods." No. Characters have "Free Will" within the story and are thus not slaves.
You mean, once people told you what you have to see.
Ah... so yes. ABSOLUTELY bad faith Devil's Advocacy and borderline "anti-woke" sentiment. Nevermind.

I'll just report in the future.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Honestly, this I don't see being too bad given Tremorsense is, Tremorsense. You've just got a connection to the earth itself due to dwarves being, dwarves, and taht's just their magical thing. Probably not something they all use, but I don't see it being too bad. Certainly a neater way to handle that sort of connection than D&D's historic "The ability to detect very slight inclines"
It’s not Tremorsense that’s a problem for dwarves (in fact, I think that’s awesome). It’s that they all have proficiency with one of a few sets of artisan’s tools.

Ixal

Hero
Bad Faith is Bad Form. Spoilering the minstrelsy for obvious reasons.

FbbTHJgaUAAv9us
FbbTQmYaMAA9x9_

"They're not real so it's okay." is right up there with apologizing for Star Frontiers' Nordic and Negro racist bologna.
"That they're uplifted is no different than a god." Yeah, no. This is a clear story about enslavement, not gods.
"Everyone is a slave to the gods." No. Characters have "Free Will" within the story and are thus not slaves.

Ah... so yes. ABSOLUTELY bad faith Devil's Advocacy and borderline anti-woke sentiment. Nevermind.

I'll just report in the future.
And we are back to "everyone who does not see things my way argues in bad faith and must be banned".
Yes they are not real. They are not even humans, not even close. Some people don't automatically equate black people to being the same as monkeys and can see a fictional animal inspired species as exactly that and nothing more.
And killing the guy who uplifted them and then doing their own thing is plenty of free will. More so than worshipping your creator which most species in D&D do.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It reminds me of this quote from Roger Ebert about Battlefield Earth:

That's one of the core problems here. WotC thought Planet of the Apes was cool (it is), but didn't understand why. So they took part of it out of context and added it to a new lore context that made it appear to be thinly-veiled racism.
Yeah, the current creative team is bizarrely theme-blind…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads