• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General New WOTC racism allegations regarding Hadozee and Spelljammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haplo781

Legend
I must have missed all those minstrel accusations when the core book with this halfling image came out.
636271789409776659.png

Sometimes someone with a lute is just a iconic bard.
1. Halflings aren't literal monkeys
2. Halflings aren't uplifted animals
3. Halflings aren't former slaves

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Wow. I noticed this on twitter and at first I thought it was just bad form to have a race that has a slavery narrative. But looking at parts of the description people are posting...wow. This is Nu-TSR level stuff...

In fairness, the second image (the one with the stuff about elves) is not from the book. That appears to be from a wiki, which is describing the 3e Hadozee lore. The new lore is still not acceptable though.

Ixal

Hero
1. Halflings aren't literal monkeys
2. Halflings aren't uplifted animals
3. Halflings aren't former slaves
And? Hadozee are not monkeys or even real world people either but a fictional simean species. That they are uplifted is basically standard and nothing different than "a god made them like they are" which is the origin story of nearly(?) all D&D creatures.
Which also makes everyone slave to the gods when you apply the same strict definition of what a slave is to other species.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So... two big things I wanna touch on, here.

1) As a writer of Fantasy and Sci-fi materials it's a person's job to create allegory. To make things that are reminiscent of real life that people can hook their perceptions onto. Pretty much everything you've ever seen written is a combination of ideas the writer had and the society the writer lived in. Your biases will get into your work whether you like it or not because it's part of your experience and your perspective. It's why Cyberpunk is an anticapitalist narrative about a corporate future dystopia. Why every fantasy setting is a 'crappy reality' compared to a lost "Golden Age" of 'real magic' and stuff.

Which means making monkey people who are pain resistant and are elevated from animals by slave-masters being freed by someone who would otherwise own them is not a good look. It speaks to the allegory, to the biases, etc.

2) There's this idea that the controversy will "Sell more books." ... to who? Who looks at "Holy crap this has got some racist stuff in it. Look at this!" and goes "Wow. That's so controversial that it has racist overtones. I need to get a copy!" ? And why would WotC think they'd sell more to that bizarre group of people than to people who aren't enticed by racism..?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
And? Hadozee are not monkeys or even real world people either but a fictional simean species. That they are uplifted is basically standard and nothing different than "a god made them like they are" which is the origin story of nearly(?) all D&D creatures.
Which also makes everyone slave to the gods when you apply the same strict definition of what a slave is to other species.
This is whataboutism isn't going to work for folks who are offended by Hadozee, which isn't a stretch by any means.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I must have missed all those minstrel accusations when the core book with this halfling image came out.
636271789409776659.png

Sometimes someone with a lute is just a iconic bard.
Not a minstrel show pose. Also just terrible art.
It is not the lute. The hadozee art uses a pose that was used as stereotypical racist shorthand. You don't see it. Most likely the D&D editors didn't either. It does not mean it isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads