News Digest for the Week of April 2

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New D&D licensed Tiamat figure, Scion optioned for television series, Fallout 2d20 RPG available for pre-order, a collection of April Fools RPG jokes, and more! Don’t forget, you can get all the news every week with Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk! This week, Morrus and Peter are joined by Lachlan Glasby to talk about Expedition...

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New D&D licensed Tiamat figure, Scion optioned for television series, Fallout 2d20 RPG available for pre-order, a collection of April Fools RPG jokes, and more!

Don’t forget, you can get all the news every week with Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk! This week, Morrus and Peter are joined by Lachlan Glasby to talk about Expedition: Incredizoology.

The Terminator RPG 01.jpg

In case you missed it elsewhere on EN World this week:
tiamat.png

Wizards of the Coast and WizKids announced a new Tiamat…can we still call them “miniatures” when they get this big? The Tiamat…let’s say figure…is 14.6” tall (37.1cm) and 16.8” long (42.8cm) with a wingspan of 28.9” (73.4cm) with a clear circular base at 200mm. WizKids specifically states that this is to-scale for play on the table and “isn’t just a statue”. The images indicate the figure will be pre-painted and assembled like their previous large figures, but this is not explicitly stated in the WizKids pre-order page. The figure is set for a September release with a retail price of $399.99.

kickstarter-logo.jpg

Luke Crane has resigned his position at Kickstarter following the controversy surrounding his project, Perfect RPG. Crane previously served as the Head of Tabletop at Kickstarter before moving over to the role of Vice President Head of Community. The resignation comes at a mutual agreement with Kickstarter after The Perfect RPG crowdfunding effort was cancelled within hours of launch due to the inclusion of Adam Koebel. Koebel raised controversy last year when his live stream of Far Verona ended after the entire cast resigned in protest following Koebel roleplaying a scene of non-consensual sexual assault where the players were not warned of the content and did not agree to it in advance. After the Perfect RPG’s Kickstarter launch, several of the designers involved resigned as they were not aware of Koebel’s involvement until the project launched. Crane initially posted a statement on the project page locked to backers-only where he said “Many designers withdrew or were harassed to withdraw due to my inclusion of Adam Koebel” and removed the entire list of contributors “to reduce future harassment”. None of the designers involved in the project have reported any harassment, and several refuted the claims directly and stated they withdrew of their own volition. Crane released a statement on his resignation, stating “I wish to unequivocally apologize to you, and everyone affected, for the harm I’ve done to the community”. The statement continues, “There was no deceit, deception or bad faith in any of my actions around the project” but then states “I should have disclosed the participant list to all contributors beforehand”. The full statement from Crane is available as a public post on the project page. Kickstarter released a statement to Polygon:

"After a discussion about what is best for Kickstarter and our team, we came to the mutual decision with Luke Crane for him to leave Kickstarter. We recognize the many years of work Luke has done to help bring creative projects to life at Kickstarter and we are committed to ensure continued support for our team and for our backer and creator community through this moment of change."

ScionTV-Logo.jpg

Onyx Path announced a development deal with Jenkins and Tate Entertainment for a television series based on Scion. The television show will be a live-action adventure series set in the United Kingdom featuring “brand new heroic and well loved characters” from the game. While Onyx Path publishes other former White Wolf material such as World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness under license from the current owner, Paradox Interactive, the Scion rights were purchased by Onyx Path in 2012 and now wholly owned by OPP. No details have been released about casting, plot, length, or network.

Fallout 2d20.jpg

Modiphius announced pre-orders for Fallout: The Post-Nuclear Tabletop Roleplaying Game using the 2d20 System. This is the second roleplaying game in the Fallout universe from Modiphius, though the first was an expansion to the miniature skirmish game Fallout: Wasteland Warfare rather than a fully independent roleplaying game. The core rulebook will be 400 pages available in a standard edition for £38 (US$52.38). Along with the core rules, the game will also launch with a Gamemaster Toolkit featuring a map of the Boston Commonwealth from Fallout 4 along with tokens, character sheets, reference handouts, and a gamemaster booklet for £25 (US$34.46) and a set of custom dice for £16 (US$22.06). There are also four different bundles of the launch products with price breaks, including two that include a Limited Edition alternate cover. The entire launch line-up is expected to ship this summer.

wotcart.png

Wizards of the Coast suspended artist Jason Felix following accusations of plagiarism from the work of fan artist Kitt Lapeña. The card in question was a reprint of Crux of Fate for the Strixhaven expansion, reprinted as part of the Mystical Archive series which reprints classic cards with new highly-stylized artwork. Lapeña found out after a comment on her Deviant Art page, where she posted her image in 2016. Comparing the works, the design of the head, neck, arms, and hands match the original fan art exactly – including the repetition of an error in the original art (the dragon Nicol Bolas is presented in artwork previously as having three fingers on his hands while Lapeña’s fan art and Felix’s card design show hands with five fingers). Wizards of the Coast released the following statement:

It has come to our attention that the card Crux of Fate from the Strixhaven: School of Mages Mystical Archive may overtly feature Magic: The Gathering fan art and the contracted artist did not receive permission for this incorporation. These actions do not reflect the values of Wizards, and, as a result, we will be suspending future work with Jason Felix until we have been able to bring this matter to successful conclusion.

fsp.jpg

Yesterday was April Fools Day, the day when companies make me very unhappy by releasing very realistic-looking products and announcements that are just jokes and typically leave me to sort out which ones are accurate and which are not (an ability of mine that is directly proportionate to the amount of coffee I’ve had). However, they do tend to be entertaining after the fact. Here’s a collection of some of the April Fools Day pranks from the tabletop roleplaying industry (or at least the ones I stumbled upon – feel free to share your favorites in the comments):

That’s all from me for this week! Don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enpublishingrpg.com, and you can get more discussion of the week’s news on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk every week. You can follow me on Twitch to get notifications when I go live, subscribe to Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube for videos on gaming history, RPG reviews, and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads