• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Next (3rd book of the year) endless speculation thread

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You hate the idea of a group of planeswalkers that try to keep the multiverse from exploding? That's an extremely strange thing to hate, my dude.

But anyway it is already mixed. There just hasn't been a book focusing on it. There is a planeswalker in Eberron. Canonically. Omin Drahn has been to Ravnica, and lives in Faerun. Canonically.

The MtG universe and the dnd universe are one thing.

This is untrue.

To that end, it's worth noting that the upcoming Magic set Adventures in the Forgotten Realms is not part of Universes Beyond. For now, we're reserving the Universes Beyond branding for worlds outside those built by Wizards of the Coast. As to whether the Forgotten Realms are now canonically part of Magic's Multiverse, for now, the answer is no. But we may change our minds in the future if it makes sense and is a fun net positive for Magic and D&D.

I don't believe the Acq. Inc. book is yet confirmed as canon, and the Eberron planeswalker is hinted rather than confirmed. This MTG article confirms that as of right now, the two games are not canonically united.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is untrue.

To that end, it's worth noting that the upcoming Magic set Adventures in the Forgotten Realms is not part of Universes Beyond. For now, we're reserving the Universes Beyond branding for worlds outside those built by Wizards of the Coast. As to whether the Forgotten Realms are now canonically part of Magic's Multiverse, for now, the answer is no. But we may change our minds in the future if it makes sense and is a fun net positive for Magic and D&D.

I don't believe the Acq. Inc. book is yet confirmed as canon, and the Eberron planeswalker is hinted rather than confirmed. This MTG article confirms that as of right now, the two games are not canonically united.
The AI campaign is canon. They can go back and forth, as they’ve always done on all sorts of things, but to pretend the two multiverses aren’t part of the same multiverse is mostly just funny.

Scribe

Legend
The AI campaign is canon. They can go back and forth, as they’ve always done on all sorts of things, but to pretend the two multiverses aren’t part of the same multiverse is mostly just funny.

I mean, thats one stance. As we all know, Wizards and any company for that matter can make bad choices regarding retcons.

Until then? I will hold to

As to whether the Forgotten Realms are now canonically part of Magic's Multiverse, for now, the answer is no.

Aldarc

Legend
I’m reading through the 4E Manual of the Planes, The Plane Above, and The Plane Below. There’s so much amazing stuff in there. So many hooks and plots and potential for adventure. I would love one of those taken, expanded on, and turned into a planar AP. Followed by a 5E Manual of the Planes.
Although 4e got a lot of flack from some fans for its lore, one of its greatest strengths as an edition was in how it understood (1) how to deliver hooks for plots, adventures, and NPCs, (2) presenting the planes as locations for adventure, (3) tie everything together appropriately to its place in the Dawn War/World Axis, while also (4) preserving the Points of Light conceit at all levels of play.

teitan

Legend
I'm thinking monster book (like Volo's/Mordenkainen's) with both Dragon and Feywild material.

It would fit the mold well. A Dragonomicon would be pretty small in scope for a 5e book, but a Dragon + Feywild book combined would match the varied material in Mordenkainen's. Having both new monsters like the Sapphire Dragon, and new Fey, plus the Fey and Dragon themed players options.

It meets several criteria for me;

1. Haven't had a monster book in a while.
2. Is different than the confirmed 2021 releases (Adventure Compilation, Setting).
3. Fits neatly in July, between Ravenloft (May) and annual adventure (September).
4. Covers recent UA.

So I'm not certain, but it makes more sense than other things I can think of.
I think that a Draconomicon and/or Feywild book could easily fit in their own books. We have had four Draconomicons over the years that were a fair size with the FR one in the 90s, then the 3.5 version that was about the size of a core rule book and then in 4e there were two FAT draconomicons focusing on the Evil and Good dragons respectively. We also had a full Feywild book in 4e.

We could be looking at a combined book but I doubt it and the UA for dragonic stuff was not at all Dragonlance like so it would be a very different Dragonlance if those are for Dragonlance. I think, like the Psionics stuff, that we are seeing test materials for later products and they may not be related at all. Some of it could be for a Tasha/Xanathar style book, which have so far been mostly class oriented materials with the Fey material for a themed book like a Mordenkainen as they have introduced race expansions with some class options.

I think that a Draconomicon and/or Feywild book could easily fit in their own books.
What could be done, and what fits the book type in WotCs schedule are two unrelated things. 2021 book three is most likely a monster book, but a large adventure is also possible. either:

2021 #3: monster book
2021 #4: adventure path
2021 #5: setting book

or

2021 #3: adventure path
2021 #4: setting book
2021 #5: monster book

The hypothetical "dragon book" would almost certainly be a monster book, since we have already had a dragon themed adventure path, and the dragon related stuff in the UA is completely unrelated to Dragonlance.

The hypothetical "feywild book" could be either an adventure or a setting. However, my guess is something different altogether: a child-focused boxed starter set. In which case it might have the dragon-related subclasses as well.

Remove ads