D&D General NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons

They neither know nor care, nor do they do any research.

The gameplan is to create a business plan that gets rubes on the line thinking this will be the thing that convinces normal people to get into crypto so that they (the rubes) will be able to make money on. Only right after this thing goes live, the creators will take all the start up money, throw it into a literal money laundering site, run off with the money, and four months later, the Feds will track them down with ease and indict them.

Absolutely this, but probably minus the feds riding to the rescue. They still don't know what to do with these weirdos.

Who here is going to buy someone else’s played character? Even without all this nonsense?

how much? $20? $50?
Most blockchain start-ups, if they actually wanted to have a long-term business, would benefit from first considering whether the thing they want to help people do is something people actually want to do with or without the blockchain. After that they might also consider what value using a blockchain adds, but even that is way less important than such fundamental issues of whether people want to buy other people's D&D characters at all.

Instead the modus operandi seems to be to just think of anything that conceivably could have blockchain technology tied to it and produce that thing all block-chained up whether it makes any sense or not, with everyone buying in just hoping some bigger rube will come along and buy the nonsensical "investment" off of them.

darjr

I crit!
Most blockchain start-ups, if they actually wanted to have a long-term business, would benefit from first considering whether the thing they want to help people do is something people actually want to do with or without the blockchain. After that they might also consider what value using a blockchain adds, but even that is way less important than such fundamental issues of whether people want to buy other people's D&D characters at all.

Instead the modus operandi seems to be to just think of anything that conceivably could have blockchain technology tied to it and produce that thing all block-chained up whether it makes any sense or not, with everyone buying in just hoping some bigger rube will come along and buy the nonsensical "investment" off of them.
I think it’s because the product is “getting people to pay you more for nothing than you paid the last person”

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
!!FOR SALE!!
CLERIC, level 12, Lawful Good, gently used.
Reliable healbot, full spell list available.
Will throw in mace and armor with reasonable offer.
Serious inquiries only!!
For sale: polyhedral dice. Never rolled.

---------

Something that still confuses me is, the big-name companies out there that are "looking into" NFTs have to know that these things have HORRIBLE reputations already. Like, bad enough to straight-up drive off a bunch of their existing customers. Why on earth are they still making public announcements about "looking into" this stuff? If they're actually gauging whether there is any merit in it, for God's sake, you'd think they'd look into the overall media and consumer response to them!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Something that still confuses me is, the big-name companies out there that are "looking into" NFTs have to know that these things have HORRIBLE reputations already. Like, bad enough to straight-up drive off a bunch of their existing customers. Why on earth are they still making public announcements about "looking into" this stuff? If they're actually gauging whether there is any merit in it, for God's sake, you'd think they'd look into the overall media and consumer response to them!
The drone of buzzwords is a siren’s song, me laddo!

Fanaelialae

Legend
For sale: polyhedral dice. Never rolled.

---------

Maybe it's the old adage, "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Not that I necessarily agree, but NFTs are a hot "buzzword" right now, likelier than not to create media coverage. Which may fall in line with many modern companies seeming focus on chasing the quick buck over pursuing long term profits.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Maybe it's the old adage, "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Not that I necessarily agree, but NFTs are a hot "buzzword" right now, likelier than not to create media coverage. Which may fall in line with many modern companies seeming focus on chasing the quick buck over pursuing long term profits.
Normally I'd grant that, but it's affecting even companies I would consider to be relatively long-term-minded. Square Enix, for example, had a press release or interview of some kind where some bigwig (I think the CEO?) mentioned investigating the use of NFTs in the gaming sphere. The FFXIV fanbase was instantly NOT happy about that, such that Naoki Yoshida, the (beloved) producer/director for the game, had to do a bit of damage control and say "no we are not going to put NFTs into the game, that's not happening on my watch." (Which he can actually say with some force, since he's on Square's Board of Directors.)

I give the example in part because it's relevant to me as someone who plays the game, but also because I know about the otherwise very "invest in the future" attitude and actions Square has had regarding FFXIV. That is, they've done some legit "we are losing money" actions in order to maintain customer goodwill, like when they shut down sales of new account codes due to the server overload with the release of the current expansion. You don't choose to just stop letting people buy your product for two whole months, especially when it's in a critically-important growth phase, unless you're committed to the long haul.

So it just came across as really weird and out of place. They've shown they do think about the long term, and as a general rule Japanese companies tend to be pretty tight-lipped and extremely cautious about what they say to the media, but apparently (as @Dannyalcatraz said) the siren song of buzzwords was too much.

Remove ads