• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ninja/Monk Fighting Style

Crust

First Post
One of my players in our Age of Worms campaign rolled up a ninja4/monk4 (the ninja core class from Complete Adv.) with the following feats:

Stunning fist
Combat reflexes
Ascetic rogue (Complete Adv.... I'm allowing it.)
Power attack
Flying Kick (Complete War.)
Leap Attack (Complete Adv.)

I'd like to work in some special discipline of styles with this PC. I was thinking of creating five distinct styles that the PC could work toward using his feats and class abilities, referencing five elements: fire, air, water, earth, and wood. For example:

Earth – Stone Statue (freezing the life blood - Com. War.)
Fire – Tongue of Fire (stunning fist/sneak attack)
Water – Flow and Crash (dodge/defensive throw - Com. War.)
Air – Raptor Strike (great leap/flying kick/leap attack)
Wood – Rejuvenation (wholeness of body)

As the PCs gain the feats/class abilities, a new style is learned. I was wondering what benefits I might bestow when all five elements are mastered. Perhaps a specific spell-like ability linked to the element. Maybe I should be using steel instead of wood, but steel seems like earth to me, and wood is the result of the four elements, etc. Perhaps a specific template might be in order.

Also, perhaps you have additional ideas concerning the elements and their requirements. What other feats and class abilities from the monk or ninja might serve one of those five elements? For example, perhaps the Earth element could be mastered with the learning of improved grapple and earth's embrace (Com. War.). Perhaps each element could require a progression of feats and class abilities (dodge/defensive throw/spring attack).

Any feedback is appreciated!

Klaus

First Post
There's the Fiery Fist, Fiery Ki Defense and Ki Blast feats from PHB2. The first two would go for Fire and Ki Blast (being a Force effect) would go for Air.

You might also want to look at the Ascetic Stalker (iirc) feat, from Complete Scoundrel. It's the monk/ninja combo feat.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yeah that's been a great feat for me. I tried that out, and it worked nicely for my monk 8/ninja 9.

Honestly stay away from skirmish feats unless you want the monk side to truly dominate.

Enforcer

Explorer
Complete Scoundrel has Ascetic Stalker--a monk/ninja feat, if you're interested in replacing Ascetic Rogue with it.

Edit: and Klaus already said it...

Remove ads