• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nintendo DS cartridge to hold multiple games?

Merkuri

Explorer
When I first got a DS a couple people asked me if I was getting "that thing that lets you store multiple games." I think they were talking about flash carts. I looked them up and they seemed a little expensive, and I'm not sure they're quite what I'm imagining.

What would be cool would be if there was some way I could stick some of the games I already own on one cartridge. I'm not really looking to download ROMs - I just want to maximize my storage space when I travel (not like the original cartridges aren't small).

Are there any things out there like this that aren't expensive? I saw a few flash carts for $80. That's a bit much. I was hoping to not spend much more than $30. This isn't something I need and I feel like it won't enhance my DS experience enough to want to drop a lot of cash on it.

Just wondering what other DS players have used.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I have an R4DS. It is the same size as a regular DS cartridge with a slot to hold a MicroSD card inside of it. You can put whatever software you like on the MircoSD card and when you boot up your machine it will give you a main menu where you can choose to play a game, play MP3s, or play movie files (although the pain necessary to convert to a movie format the DS can use isn't worth the effort).

I think the R4DS and memory card only cost me about $40 when got it. Now its a lot cheaper.

http://www.thedsdeals.com/R4_DS_Revolution_s/47.htm?Click=2&gclid=COffsqWKyZgCFRBbagodXh1B0g

If you want to "rip" the cartridges you already have into roms I am not quite sure how you would go about that but you can fit about 40 or so games onto a 2GB MicroSD card.

DS

Merkuri

Explorer
Do games played off of the R4DS still have all of their features, like the ability to connect to the web and play with people online, or do they lose some things?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
A rare game or two will have some compatibility problems but since the O/S of the R4DS is updatable, eventually those problems are ironed out and work correctly. Check into the forums on their site and they should have a list of known issues.

DS

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Yeah. Let's leave up links to assist piracy. Because game devs don't need the money or anything.

Way to go EN World. :spits:

Yeah, because there can't be any other use than for piracy. Like, say for instance a DnD character sheet written for use on the DS, watching video files, listening to MP3s, or a dice roller app, or any one of another hundred items written legally by DS homebrew fans.

DS

Merkuri

Explorer
...a DnD character sheet written for use on the DS...

Ooh, ooh, is there such a thing? I wasn't really going to pursue this further since the idea of creating my own ROMs isn't appealing to me (and is legally shaky), but if there are 3rd party apps that can store character sheets on the DS I might still look into it.

If it isn't clear, I am very much not interested in obtaining or making illegal copies of games - if I were going to make a copy it would be for my own use only (and it looks like the only way I could do it would be to somehow make a ROM which is not an idea I like or endorse, so I'm probably not going to do it after all).

I hope this isn't crossing any forum lines. If it is, mods, please feel free to close the thread (not like you needed my permission ;) ).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads