• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

Remathilis

Legend
Let's just split into 12 stats. Stamina, Muscle, Aim, Balance, Health, Fitness, Reason, Knowledge, Intuition, Willpower, Leadership, and Appearance. Everyone liked those. :)
I see what you did there.

It might not be as bad without AD&D modifiers, where one subscore was clearly better than the other.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
They have pig noses and can identify things and discover information by smelling it.

Nose Memory: A Porc's nose is finely tuned to remember dangers and threats. You have Advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to find or identify and Intelligence (Insight) checks to gauge the attitude the creatures or objects you can smell.

"Come out Necromancer. I can smell ya."
honestly, yeah, a scent-tracking orc could actually be kinda a cool idea,

given that they have natural proficiency in intimidation you could maybe have a group that's developed a fear AoE attack thing, i think dragonborn have a racial feat that lets them so the same?

relentless endurance feels like something that could be build upon for a subspecies, let them roll to save for that last hitpoint every time they're meantt o go down and give them advantage on attack rolls while at 1HP

tusk orcs sound perfect for a natural weapon but Ugh, natural weapons, they're basically never useful and come at a huge cost of your power budget, i think they should all either do some sort of energy type damage or inflict an effect, that way even if you're doing pitiful damage at least you might have a reason to use it.

I might steal that feature for my gnolls.

tusk orcs sound perfect for a natural weapon but Ugh, natural weapons, they're basically never useful and come at a huge cost of your power budget, i think they should all either do some sort of energy type damage or inflict an effect, that way even if you're doing pitiful damage at least you might have a reason to use it.
Or at least if they don't do anything fancy, they should be basically free. It is just a flavour ribbon that might come handy once or twice in a campaign if you get disarmed.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

given that they have natural proficiency in intimidation you could maybe have a group that's developed a fear AoE attack thing, i think dragonborn have a racial feat that lets them so the same?

relentless endurance feels like something that could be build upon for a subspecies, let them roll to save for that last hitpoint every time they're meantt o go down and give them advantage on attack rolls while at 1HP

Of course, since you're designing anyway, there's no reason why natural weapon have to cost so much of your power budget. It's not like WotC even assigns values to these things.

CreamCloud0

Of course, since you're designing anyway, there's no reason why natural weapon have to cost so much of your power budget. It's not like WotC even assigns values to these things.
that was more my complaint about how wizards chooses to use them, i definitely would give them more kick if i was designing.

Yaarel

He Mage
I might steal that feature for my gnolls.
I already do sense of smell as part of my Werewolf feat. This feat grants the ability to cast the Wolf Shape innately, a slot 2 spell per Long Rest, whose duration is until the next Long Rest ends, whence stay in wolf shape indefinitely. Of interest here, the feat also grants Canine Olfaction, which augments the spell. It would be balanced to simply have the feature, but I want to have the flavor of becoming a wolf fully or partially to benefit from the sense of smell, thus make the wolfiness more flavorful in play. I want to see player characters become wolves to go sniffing about. I didnt do the "advantage to ability checks that rely on scent", because in the case of a canine, be it wolf or dog, the check is pretty much an autowin. In reallife, the scenting of dog or wolf is extraordinary.

Canine Olfaction. While in Wolf Shape, your sense of smell heightens preternaturally. If something exists, and you are within 5 feet of it, you smell it. You detect it even if you dont recognize what it is. You must Concentrate to detect a faint scent. You can be within 5 feet of a scent trail or downwind from the source. Typically a scent trail can linger for about two weeks (4d6 days), unless there is heavy wind or rain, and it can be interrupted by streaming water. Make an Investigation check to figure out a scent that one is unfamiliar with.

Last edited:

I wonder if gnomes and halflings are necessary and useful to give more spice, something like Jimmy Olsen as Clark Kent's friend. Jimmy Olsen wasn't created to be cool, popular or loved but to help to show Clark Kent/Superman human side.

Gnomes and halflings help to show a kinder side of D&D world, they are the innocent people who have to be saved by the heroic PCs. In certay way, the gnome and halfling communities could be closest one in D&D to a true utopy. They are like characters from a preschool children cartoon or a family-friendly sitcom where villagers only worry about simple things for example to find the right boyfriend for the daughter.. Their villages are like that "happy and safe place" where Bilbo and Frodo want to return, rest and recover from war marks after their adventures.

I'm one of those who definitely say that Goblins (just Goblins and note the other 2) should be in the PHB, as Goblinoids as a species with Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears the subspecies can't really be done as the 3 of them are quite different from each other in terms of special abilities, they might as well have the separate entries as species they've been getting.

CreamCloud0

I wonder if gnomes and halflings are necessary and useful to give more spice, something like Jimmy Olsen as Clark Kent's friend. Jimmy Olsen wasn't created to be cool, popular or loved but to help to show Clark Kent/Superman human side.

Gnomes and halflings help to show a kinder side of D&D world, they are the innocent people who have to be saved by the heroic PCs. In certay way, the gnome and halfling communities could be closest one in D&D to a true utopy. They are like characters from a preschool children cartoon or a family-friendly sitcom where villagers only worry about simple things for example to find the right boyfriend for the daughter.. Their villages are like that "happy and safe place" where Bilbo and Frodo want to return, rest and recover from war marks after their adventures.
agree, just so long as it doesn't go too far down the road into flanderising the whole species all just as the 'pure precious beans who are too innocent to even protect themselves'

Remove ads