• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Macs? Holy crap did WotC do the math wrong!

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
So we all know that the mac is a minority OS. WotC says that their market research indicates that only a small minority of their gamers use macs. If their data matches other data sources, the size of that minority is less than 10% of home computer users.

Great. DDI can be a success with only 90% of the market.

But for DDI to work (or, at least, for the online tabletop to work), and entire group needs to access DDI. WotC is now building the game around the typical group of 6.

That means that somewhere around 50% of D&D game groups include at least one mac user.

Can DDI be a success with only 50% of the market? Or is WotC expecting these groups to say sayonara to their mac-using buddies?

Either way, for a company that's normally very good at recognizing the gaming group--not the gaming individual--as the key unit, I think they've made a fairly serious miscalculation.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Don't tell me!!!

I won't buy D&D Insider until they come out with a Linux version of it!!!

Aren't there Linux using D&D playere around here???

Hey, I thought all geeks used Linux and played D&D? They are both "class featuers" for geeks!!! Where are all good steraotypes one could rely on gone???

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Danzauker said:
I won't buy D&D Insider until they come out with a Linux version of it!!!
One step at a time, friend, one step at a time. :)

Once they have an OpenGL Mac version, the Linux argument is a lot easier to make. (I doubt you'll ever see a supported version, but you don't really care about the support, right?)

Cheers, -- N

You're missing something:
The windows related tools are not for existing gamer groups that manage to meet regularly. They are for those gamer groups that can no longer meet due to the fact that they live in different areas now or have totally different schedules. It is for those that want to play the game online because they can't find a group in their area.

Basically, it's an entire new "group of groups". Sure, you will now miss 5-15 % of the possible full market, but you don't miss out just because 5-15 % of each existing group owns a Mac instead of a Windows PC. Because that are not the groups the software is primarily aimed at.

What also might be interesting to know: The decision for using a Windows / DirectX based Engine was made before the current project began. Basically, the guys who were doing it decided for some reasons to make a 3D Engine and base it on DirectX. Maybe the market analysis for the original use of the 3D looks different for the DDI tools, but it was too late to change around, especially not in the time frame that was available.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Are Mac and Linux users even allowed to play D&D? ;)

Apparently those of us with older computers are not expected to like Video games.

But back on topic before I get flamed or a three day vacation

I think WOTC is trying hard to shoot themselves inteh foot with DI. Something other than what you always see on the WOTC site should be up now. So far all the complaints of WOTC intending people to pay for previously free product is coming true in spades

And if I wer a mac or Linux user, I would not hold my breath.

RFisher

Explorer
CharlesRyan said:
Either way, for a company that's normally very good at recognizing the gaming group--not the gaming individual--as the key unit, I think they've made a fairly serious miscalculation.

Thank you! It's nice to see someone else's numbers match mine.

But then, people always seem quick to dismiss my experience with cross-platform development in favor of their own guesses about it.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Dice4Hire said:
Apparently those of us with older computers are not expected to like Video games.

Who said that you have to own an old PC to use Linux?

Granted, in the MS world as soon as you get your hands on the brand new release of Vista you inevitably begin to think: "kewl! now I'm running to the shop in order to buy a new PC to actually run it!!!" (see the diatribe between "operating system environment" vs. "system operated environment").

I simply use it because I prefer it even on my newest machine.

SavageRobby

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
You're missing something:
The windows related tools are not for existing gamer groups that manage to meet regularly. They are for those gamer groups that can no longer meet due to the fact that they live in different areas now or have totally different schedules. It is for those that want to play the game online because they can't find a group in their area.

Basically, it's an entire new "group of groups". Sure, you will now miss 5-15 % of the possible full market, but you don't miss out just because 5-15 % of each existing group owns a Mac instead of a Windows PC. Because that are not the groups the software is primarily aimed at.

I don't think Charles - or anyone else - has missed out on that. Meeting regularly or not, if 10% of the population uses Macs, and WotC assumes group of 5-6, then the Math is simple: around half of the groups (new or not) will likely have at least one non-Windows user.

I can just imagine the email, "Hey guys, WotC has a new release, and even though we live on opposite sides of the world now, we can get the old group back together again! Well, except Joe, because he uses Mac. But screw him, we didn't like him anyways."

FWIWWIM, I think its a silly decision, too, even if it is a practical one. And using the "dog ate my homework" excuse about having the platform already picked out is pretty weak.

Stormtalon

First Post
Unfortunately, the DirectX decision seems to be already set in stone. While it makes it tougher, it doesn't yet rule out getting it running natively on the Mac. There's a few folks (myself included), who have been helpfully pointing out ways that WotC could quickly, easily and (probably) somewhat cheaply support at least the Mac users (caveat: would be Intel Macs only) -- and that's thru TransGaming's Cider product.

It's not the same as a true port, and thus not what I'd consider ideal, but I think it would be an acceptable start -- and I don't even OWN an Intel Mac.

Yet.

wedgeski

Adventurer
RFisher said:
But then, people always seem quick to dismiss my experience with cross-platform development in favor of their own guesses about it.
There are also people *with* cross-platform experience (*puts hand up*) who disagree with you. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads