• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Macs? Holy crap did WotC do the math wrong!

How's about you just get your silly little white plasticy computerbox to run DirectX? Isn't there also that fake Windows environment you can run so that your computer will run Windows based utilities? Heck, I had that on an iMac back in 1998; it can't be *that* difficult to do on a new Macbook.

-TRRW

GlassJaw

Hero
Nifft said:
So is delivering buggy software, and so is failing to deliver anything.

What does that have to do with anything? What a lame and useless counterpoint.

Again, I fail to see why this is a surprise to anyone. Heck, MOST software, especially games, isn't MAC-ready at launch.

I also disagree that cross-platform development is "surprisingly easy". If it was, why don't more developers do it? When I get quotes from developers, MAC development always adds time and money. And when you weigh that time and added cost against the amount of additional consumers you will reach, the decision is fairly easy.

JDJblatherings

First Post
If it's web based it should work with ANY modern computer able to get to the web.
They decided to have development cost them more by not building for everyone.

hexgrid

Explorer
theredrobedwizard said:
Isn't there also that fake Windows environment you can run so that your computer will run Windows based utilities? Heck, I had that on an iMac back in 1998; it can't be *that* difficult to do on a new Macbook.
-TRRW

I doubt buying and installing Windows on your Mac just to run the DI would be worth it, especially if you're using a Mac because you specifically don't like Windows.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
GlassJaw said:
What does that have to do with anything? What a lame and useless counterpoint.

I also disagree that cross-platform development is "surprisingly easy". If it was, why don't more developers do it?
Please, please, don't be a fish in a barrel.

It's not that hard to write good software. Why don't more developers do that?

Cheers, -- N

Stormtalon

First Post
Wombat said:
According to the San Francisco Chronicle's Business section earlier this week, Mac sales last quarter made up about 2.8% of the U.S. market.

At that point, it simply is not economically feasible to cater to them.

As a whole, or consumer sales only? First order of business when calculating your market is knowing what numbers to exclude. For example, I'd be willing to bet that the 2.8% figure you're quoting includes bulk sales to large corporations. Those sales need to be taken out of the calculations, as they're not part of the target market. Corporate computers are always behind heavy firewalls and gaming thru them is virtually impossible (not to mention usually a firing offense).

What you need to do is try to find a market figure that is specifically counting JUST home and personal purchases -- that's the number you want to look at as those folks are going to be your customers. I'm pretty sure WotC has already done this, and still for some reason decided it's not fully worth it (my guess is the already-created DX engine played a large part in that decision, moreso than market numbers), which is why I and others are pointing out tools that will make the cost of conversion reasonably trivial.

Fobok

First Post
Horacio said:
They have decided to use the last DirectX iteration that doesn't work in virtual machines or emulators yet :(

Are you sure? DirectX 10 is the latest and it only works on Windows Vista. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that DDI would be Vista-only.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads