D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
A big part of the problem is that not all campaigns can afford actual downtime. Maybe some campaigns have no problem with taking a few weeks or months to hunt for a recipe and all of the materials needed to craft, but some other campaigns are story based and many times are on a clock. There is no time to go questing for a couple of night goggles for the party scout before venturing into the underdark to save the world or a foldable boat or whatever quirky fun item may make the experience more fun.

Understood.

Then what I'd propose in reply is this.

If the model of the entire campaign is to be on a strict timetable, I get it. Most games aren't like that.

1. The DMG suggests that to satisfy the optimizer archetype that the treasure gains be modified to suit the needs of that particular character or adventure. Extrapolate the concept to handle the campaign.

Otherwise:

2. Characters without knowledge of the magic available in the campaign wouldn't necessarily be aware that night goggles or foldable boats are a thing to have. There's a difference between being in the rule book and being common character knowledge. Once a character learns of such things then it's time to want it.

Perhaps I'm just more old school about challenges, but I don't consider having a quirky item that makes a task easier "more fun". I'm more a "this is what I want to do, how do I craft it or find it" guy.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Perhaps I'm just more old school about challenges, but I don't consider having a quirky item that makes a task easier "more fun". I'm more a "this is what I want to do, how do I craft it or find it" guy.

Like I said, I've played for a while and I have barely ever seen/found/gotten any magic item other than boring +1s by adventuring, and many times there was no actual chance to even use them. The one magic item I got to use over and over was a bag of holding -how unironically stereotypical-. And in the context of 5e, adventures seem to be full of the more boring items and many DMs not homebrewing just plain forget to put any items on treasure -or forgo treasure altogether-. In contrast the WBL guidelines of 3e and 4e have allowed me to actually have magic items I get to use, sometimes from the very campaign start.

It might sound like I'm entitled or something, but getting two sessions in a row with the same group is a big achievement given my context. To date I've never even seen a Holy Avenger nor a staff of the Magi in play (and quite likely never will), and that is just seeing it in action I'm not even talking about actually owning any of them. Without some way to control which magic items I get, I will never get to play with any of them again. (And for the record I don't consider a +1 whatever truly magical, that is just bigger numbers, nothing that actually changes the way you play or inspires that awe feeling. Making them even harder to find doesn't do a thing to change it)

G

Guest 6801328

I still find the argument strange that putting prices on things means people are going to argue that means there should be a store selling it.

Have your players argued that with you?

Because when I tell my table there aren't magic item stores, they just shrug and carry on. Do I just have really amenable players?

No, not among my gaming friends. I'm basing my prediction off two things:
1) Behavior/demands I see in Adventurer's League games, where players come in with all sorts of arguments based on what they've found in the books. "But the books says THIS..."
2) The arguments I see put forward on these (and other RPG) forums. In this very thread people are using 'evidence' from every edition, and even FR novels for crying out loud, to make their case.

But, thinking about this, there is an idea in here. A UA article which has a big table. In column 1, you list all the magic items in D&D in alphabetical order - just the names. Column 2 lists the DMG prices. Column 3 lists prices based on a la carte player buying. Column 4 lists prices based on impact to world building and goes high - sort of an Eberron selling guide. Column 5 lists prices for a low magic world.

Then give advice as to how to adjust the numbers based on your individual campaigns. I could see something like this being a useful baseline to start from.

Yes, if there is going to be a price list I think it should be something like this. I was thinking it could really just be a range, with notes. ("If you are in a low-magic campaign it should be on the high end...") But some people in this thread are asking for a specific price so they don't have to make a decision or remember what it was, so I suppose that wouldn't meet their needs.

(And then I always come back to the problem of: "Unless gold is more rare/abundant in your campaign than is assumed, in which case these prices are nearly useless...".)

1. There was a discussion somewhere in the rules about how an economy is affected by the sale of magic items and the kinds of things that nobility and centers of power would be doing to shore themselves up in that sort of situation.

This is along the lines of what I was suggesting earlier: just provide guidelines/considerations for DMs in setting their own prices. Not that it meets the needs of those asking for prices, but it's what I would do if I were Mike Mearls.

First, there's two types of consistency; and both are important to me.

The first is consistency within the same item. If a +1 longsword is 1500 g.p. here I want it to be 1500 g.p. everywhere - very artificial, yes, but done specifically to prevent the game turning into an endless exercise of buy-low-sell-high as the PCs travel from town to town.

I could see this possibly arising if specific items were common/frequent enough that this could occur. But both because it requires an abundance of magic items for sale...so abundant that it starts to feel like a Magic Mart...and because it's so easy to prevent it ("Sorry, that one sold while you were off in the other town", or "Sorry, the sell price and the buy price are different," or even "Word gets out that you are frequently transporting magic items...roll initiative.") that I have trouble imagining this actually being a problem.

The second is consistency between different items. If a +1 longsword is 1500 g.p. then it only makes sense that a +1 battleaxe is also going to be around 1500 g.p. and a +2 longsword will be somewhat more than 1500. The headache here comes when trying to compare basic items that aren't really the same e.g. a +1 longsword vs a +1 chain mail vs a +1 ring of protection vs. an Onyx Dog, in order to maintain some consistency. If nothing else, a price list shows what the designers have done with these comparisons; and even if you don't agree with the results and change them for your game you at least have that starting point.

I was at a Sotheby's auction of Impressionists paintings, and ended up sitting next to a couple who were selling a small Degas (I can't remember if it was actually found in their attic, but it was the classic story of discovering this thing they owned was valuable). A larger Degas sold for a lot, and so I did a price-per-square-inch calculation and whispered, "So you should expect about $X." They laughed, because of course I was joking. (I think they ended up getting more per square inch.)

The argument that similar magic items should have a similar price, or that +1/+2/+3 should somehow be proportional, strikes me the same way. I mean, I suppose it makes some sense, in the way that price per square inch of paintings makes sense. But if magic items are rare and wonderful and have unique histories and owners with unpredictable personalities and buyers who covet such items for reasons known only to them...all bets are off.

YMMV, of course.

Maybe the way to handle pricing is the way everything is solved these days: a social media app. If you (the DM) want an item to be for sale, you enter it into an app. Every DM offering the same item ends up in the same auction. You then ask your players how much they are willing to pay. You enter the price, tap 'bid', and wait. If your players win the auction, they get the item.

(Yes, I'm joking.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tovrin

First Post
Like I said, I've played for a while and I have barely ever seen/found/gotten any magic item other than boring +1s by adventuring, and many times there was no actual chance to even use them.

Hmmm. It sounds like you need to have a chat with your GM and ask to have things spiced up a bit. Homebrew items really spice up a game. The first magic item I ever gave out was only a +1 maul, but it gave advantage on breaking down doors. The fighter in the group has had so much fun with it .... even having a "Here's JOHNNY" moment chasing down an NPC; he rolled a Nat20 to intimidate. :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

S

Sunseeker

No, not among my gaming friends. I'm basing my prediction off two things:
1) Behavior/demands I see in Adventurer's League games, where players come in with all sorts of arguments based on what they've found in the books. "But the books says THIS..."
2) The arguments I see put forward on these (and other RPG) forums. In this very thread people are using 'evidence' from every edition, and even FR novels for crying out loud, to make their case.

1: AL is a different beast, I think, because WOTC requires you to play a certain way. If AL mandated magic item shops in every game, well, tough. People who DM for AL are essentially performing a job. If they don't like the way AL is run, they can quit, same as any other game. The books say a very specific thing in AL, and WOTC has very AL-specific rulings. It's not one of those sort of games where the DM and the players have a spirited debate about how something works, and come to a conclusion that is unique to their table.

2: I have to be honest I haven't actually seen anyone argue the other side of your hypothetical. Now, I've skipped some pages and some folks are on ignore, but if your argument (and that of [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] as they seem similar) comes down to: if it's in the book people will demand to have it...I haven't actually seen anyone make that demand. At least not in this discussion. I've seen it for races, classes, that sort of thing, but a list of prices is not a shop. It's a guide for what, if you had a shop, those items could be reasonably priced at.

I don't like magic item shops. I DO like magic item prices. Because the former is something I don't enjoy running in a campaign, and the latter is a tool for designing the economy of my campaign. One does not imply the other and I'm sure there are people running 5E with magic item shops even without a price guide.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And maybe less annoying but orders of magnitude more difficult, would be to set the price of the next random item found in any sort of reasonable scale with what I'd generated for the first one; and that's what professional designers are for. :)
Why is this important? I see people arguing for consistency like this, but I don't see consistency as being important at all in this case.

Let's take a +1 greatsword. Two different people in two different sets of circumstances will have wildly different values for it, as I gave an example of some pages back. Even if the circumstances are the same, though, the price probably still won't be. Two farmers selling the +1 greatswords of their fathers will often have two different values for the sword. Sentimentality will vary, as will knowledge of what such a sword might be worth. It's not like they have the price guide that DMs are being deprived of handy to reference.

It's far more important in my opinion to be as fair as you can be at the moment of pricing, than it is to match some sort of consistency.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The first is consistency within the same item. If a +1 longsword is 1500 g.p. here I want it to be 1500 g.p. everywhere - very artificial, yes, but done specifically to prevent the game turning into an endless exercise of buy-low-sell-high as the PCs travel from town to town.

This has never really been an issue in my game. Primarily because people with enough liquid gold AND a desire to purchase a +1 sword are very rare. Couple that with the vast majority of towns aren't going to have any magic for sale anyway. There's no way for a merchant game like that come about in my world. I can see that becoming an issue if magic items are fairly commonly bought and sold, such that each town will have a number of them for sale and have people to buy them.

G

Guest 6801328

2: I have to be honest I haven't actually seen anyone argue the other side of your hypothetical. Now, I've skipped some pages and some folks are on ignore, but if your argument (and that of @Hussar as they seem similar) comes down to: if it's in the book people will demand to have it...I haven't actually seen anyone make that demand. At least not in this discussion. I've seen it for races, classes, that sort of thing, but a list of prices is not a shop. It's a guide for what, if you had a shop, those items could be reasonably priced at.

I think you're misinterpreting my concern a little bit. It's not that if prices get published suddenly a bunch of players will start demanding they get to purchase anything they want.

It's more that a price list normalizes the idea of buying/selling magic items. It gets used in different ways by different tables, but overall the existence of official "prices" can easily give the appearance of blessing the idea of buying your way to magic item nirvana, regardless of what the supporting paragraphs say. And then that idea ends up getting baked into the community's...or a sub-set of the community's...perception of what D&D is.

For example, a group of kids new to the game might see such a price list and in the process of figuring out the game on their own (just picturing myself in the 80's) and, based on the existence of that price list, freely allow buying/trading of magic items. 15 years later they're all, "WTF? Of course you can buy whatever magic items you want! I've been playing that way since 1977!* In 5e there's even price lists! It's right there in the rules!"

Why do I think that's going to happen? Because a) that's what happens with D&D, and b) it happened right here in this thread.

(*Because, as we all know, as soon as you get on the Internet to discuss D&D it turns out you were besties with EGG.)

ccs

41st lv DM
Like I said, I've played for a while and I have barely ever seen/found/gotten any magic item other than boring +1s by adventuring, and many times there was no actual chance to even use them. The one magic item I got to use over and over was a bag of holding -how unironically stereotypical-. And in the context of 5e, adventures seem to be full of the more boring items and many DMs not homebrewing just plain forget to put any items on treasure -or forgo treasure altogether-. In contrast the WBL guidelines of 3e and 4e have allowed me to actually have magic items I get to use, sometimes from the very campaign start.

It might sound like I'm entitled or something, but getting two sessions in a row with the same group is a big achievement given my context. To date I've never even seen a Holy Avenger nor a staff of the Magi in play (and quite likely never will), and that is just seeing it in action I'm not even talking about actually owning any of them. Without some way to control which magic items I get, I will never get to play with any of them again. (And for the record I don't consider a +1 whatever truly magical, that is just bigger numbers, nothing that actually changes the way you play or inspires that awe feeling. Making them even harder to find doesn't do a thing to change it)

? Why do you not get to play more than 2 sessions with any particular group? Doesn't that make it hard to play these games?

What items do you want to play with?

As for Staves of the Magi & Holy avengers? I know what you're talking about. Overall I've been playing since Christmas 1980 & AD&D1e+ since about '83.
I've never, as aplayer, had either of these items. And the only adventure where an Avenger turned up? I was playing a Cavelier & a Wizard (we all had 2 characters). :( Now yes, as the story took twists & turns, my wizard DID multi-class into Paladin eventually. And she learned the location of the sword. (it was buried with the character of a player who'd dropped out of the game. At the time we didn't know he was carrying a dormant Avenger so we buried him with full gear)
But the game went on hiatus before I could retrieve & claim it.:( :( I was about a session away from having a Holy Avenger - wielded by the least likely ever paladin....

Nevvur

Explorer
4 Types of Statements:

Convention: a statement that is true or false because we define it as true or false. A field goal is worth 3 points (true). A simple majority is <50% (false).
Fact: a statement that is true or false because it can be verified through observation in the real world. There's a tree in my front yard (true). Hillary Clinton is the POTUS (false).
Preference: a statement that is neither true nor false because it is based on subjective criteria. I like vanilla ice cream more than chocolate, or Snoop Dogg is the best rapper ever.
Opinion: a preference which uses a fact or convention to support itself. Opinions cannot be true or false (or right or wrong) because they are essentially preferences, even if the supporting statement is true.

I've posted this little block of statements in other threads that have gone on way too long. To remind people what's really happening here...

We have two basic preferences: "I want magic item price lists," and "I don't want magic item price lists."
We have several facts: "Previous editions had magic item prices," "The 5e DMG says magic items are generally not for sale," etc.
And we have a butt load of opinions, "I want magic item price lists because previous editions had them," and "I don't want magic item price lists because the DMG says..."

There have been other preferences and opinions (with corresponding facts), some more nuanced than others, but no one is right or wrong here because all our preferences and opinions cannot, by convention, be right or wrong.

Since no one can be right or wrong, the only point (IMO) of arguing these opinions/preferences is to sway the opposition. Over the course of almost 60 pages I haven't seen a single person switch sides. I rarely advocate for shutting down discourse, but all meaningful discourse has been made and rehashed ad nauseum.

Can we please just let this thread die?

Remove ads