D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I rather figured. Here it is, more explicitly. You said this:

But this is a feature that doesn't actually apply to you due to you how you sidestep blocking. It's like saying that people paying taxes is great while you cheat and don't pay yours.

And, you go on, right here:

You defend blocking as good while chuckling that those that have you blocked are fools because you've sidestepped blocking and can see them quite normally.

Do you not see the hypocrisy there? I mean I don't expect you to really care much, I'm just curious if you even recognize it at all -- you're cheating and advocating for the system that lets you cheat.

Just so you know, the mobile skin on the site is pretty good so you don't have to use the app. You once did to view the site legibly on a phone, but Morrus put a lot of work into the mobile skin and it works well. In fact, the app is often a worse tool than the mobile skin.
Calm down. I don't think they're fools just because I can see what they write. I just think the situation is funny is all. And it isn't cheating, it isn't my fault the app doesn't integrate well with the website's block function and I don't feel the need to change how I use the site (as in accessing it primarily via the app). If anything, they could use this lack of integration as fuel for a change in how the block function works.

The app works great (perhaps a little too great). I'm not going to access the site via a browser on my phone when the app works fine.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Not that they'll be able to read this but I'm not actively trying to sidestep the issue. I'm just accessing the site the way I usually do. It used to be just through a browser but now I'm probably accessing it 60/40 app/browser on a PC. I should also point out that now that I've seen this again in a browser that I have had it happen to me back before the app came out. It didn't really bother me then either.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I’m not, I’m making it so you can’t interact with me. Why should you be able to force yourself into my face when i don’t want you there?

That's quite literally impossible under the old blocking system. As you cannot see what I post in response to you, it cannot get anywhere close to being "in your face."

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That's quite literally impossible under the old blocking system. As you cannot see what I post in response to you, it cannot get anywhere close to being "in your face."

I won’t quibble over word choice with you, max.

Blocking you from seeing my posts doesn’t force you to do anything.

CapnZapp

Legend
Calm down. I don't think they're fools just because I can see what they write. I just think the situation is funny is all. And it isn't cheating, it isn't my fault the app doesn't integrate well with the website's block function and I don't feel the need to change how I use the site (as in accessing it primarily via the app). If anything, they could use this lack of integration as fuel for a change in how the block function works.

The app works great (perhaps a little too great). I'm not going to access the site via a browser on my phone when the app works fine.
I agree the argument "stop using the app so you suffer the blocks" makes no sense.

Rather than just fixing the app so it matches the browser functionality, I would prefer if the blocking function no longer prevents access to threads (but still provides two-way blocking of posts).

And oh, while writing a Santa list:

Please also fix how SPOILER and SBLOCK tags only work on one platform each.

Merry X-Mas!

CapnZapp

Legend
As this year's Christmas story, and swerving back on-topic, here is what the 3rd Edition supplement Magic Item Compendium had to say on the subject. Merry Christmas! :)

A player points to an item published in this book or the Dungeon Master’s Guide and asks, “Can I buy this?” The answer should usually be, “Yes.”

Magic items are an important part of every character’s arsenal of abilities. Most monsters and encounters assume that characters have a certain amount of gear to make the challenge appropriate. Furthermore, at many levels magic items represent a character’s only option for customization; picking up a new magic ring or bag of potions is significantly more fun than allotting skill points.

That’s not to say that you can’t apply occasional constraints to how and when magic items can be purchased, only that the constraints should be reasonable and shouldn’t prevent players from equipping their characters fairly. For instance, a character seeking a magic item should be in a community whose gold piece limit is equal to or greater than the cost of the desired item (see Table 6–10: Community GP Limits). You might also choose to limit particular items for campaign story reasons—maybe the knowledge of how to create certain items is a closely guarded secret of a particular group, or even forgotten to all.

In general, though, you should allow characters with sufficient funds to equip themselves as they desire. Even the most thoughtfully constructed series of treasure hoards almost certainly fails to provide all your players the items they want to maximize their enjoyment as they advance in level.

Large one-stop-shop “magic emporiums” are unrealistic and rare even in metropolis-sized cities. Instead, a community’s total stock of magic items for sale is widely distributed among dusty alchemist’s shops, bookstores, scribers’ boutiques, pawn shops, elixir brewers, the residences of retired adventurers, the old mage on the corner, curio shops, and so on.

19536422964_2ce068810e_z.jpg

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
3e Magic Item Compendium said:
A player points to an item published in this book or the Dungeon Master’s Guide and asks, “Can I buy this?” The answer should usually be, “Yes.”

Magic items are an important part of every character’s arsenal of abilities. Most monsters and encounters assume that characters have a certain amount of gear to make the challenge appropriate. Furthermore, at many levels magic items represent a character’s only option for customization; picking up a new magic ring or bag of potions is significantly more fun than allotting skill points.

That’s not to say that you can’t apply occasional constraints to how and when magic items can be purchased, only that the constraints should be reasonable and shouldn’t prevent players from equipping their characters fairly. For instance, a character seeking a magic item should be in a community whose gold piece limit is equal to or greater than the cost of the desired item (see Table 6–10: Community GP Limits). You might also choose to limit particular items for campaign story reasons—maybe the knowledge of how to create certain items is a closely guarded secret of a particular group, or even forgotten to all.

In general, though, you should allow characters with sufficient funds to equip themselves as they desire. Even the most thoughtfully constructed series of treasure hoards almost certainly fails to provide all your players the items they want to maximize their enjoyment as they advance in level.

Large one-stop-shop “magic emporiums” are unrealistic and rare even in metropolis-sized cities. Instead, a community’s total stock of magic items for sale is widely distributed among dusty alchemist’s shops, bookstores, scribers’ boutiques, pawn shops, elixir brewers, the residences of retired adventurers, the old mage on the corner, curio shops, and so on.
I fully endorse the idea of there being some sort of magic item economy in the game as such things would, in almost any of the typical D&D settings we ever see, develop on its own given any time at all.

But this goes way, way, WAY too far. What's available in any given town should be a) completely random, based on general commonality and price; and b) generated by the DM.

The only bit of the quote I agree with is the last sentence.

Lan-"I generally dislike block and-or ignore functions and personally decline to use them, taking instead the stance of if I can't stand the heat I shouldn't be in the kitchen"-efan

Remove ads