• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As someone who moderates on other forums... It’s a lot harder to get away with than you think it is. There are a lot of really easy to spot, difficult to hide red flags that’ll give you away.

Well, I only ever did it once. I got banned and they refused to tell me why, so I made another account. It was easy, and I never got caught.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A public forum is not an analogy. It is what this site is. The site and everything we say on it is open to the public. A private forum doesn’t allow even reading comments on the forum without first becoming a member.

FrogReaver

.....so, some terms are terms of art. Which you may not be aware of.

Public forum and limited-purpose public forum are specific terms of art. Which have a meaning when discussing, inter alia, free speech. This is not a "public forum." If you were unaware of this, I'm sorry for confusing you.

If you have an idiosyncratic definition of "public forum," then you are welcome to it. I would suggest googling it if my meaning was unclear, of if you believe your definition is a universally accepted one.

My definitin is the common one regarding Internet forums. I’m sorry if you are unaware of this.

FrogReaver

And he blocked me. Another great example of block preventing what should otherwise be acceptable behavior.

why am I penalized just because someone doesn’t want to read my replies?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
He was right, though. These forums are privately owned, which means by definition they are not public. You have to agree to terms of service to participate on them, and you can have the privilege of being able to participate revoked if you violate the terms of service. These things are not true of a public forum.

FrogReaver

He was right, though. These forums are privately owned, which means by definition they are not public. You have to agree to terms of service to participate on them, and you can have the privilege of being able to participate revoked if you violate the terms of service. These things are not true of a public forum.

All public Internet forums are privately owned. A public Internet forum is one whose content isn’t hid behind a membership wall. If you have ever encountered actual private Internet forums that you must register in order to even browse the content of then the difference would be apparent.

CapnZapp

Legend
All public Internet forums are privately owned. A public Internet forum is one whose content isn’t hid behind a membership wall. If you have ever encountered actual private Internet forums that you must register in order to even browse the content of then the difference would be apparent.

Publicly
so as to be seen by other people; in public.
"some weep publicly"

by the state rather than an independent, commercial company.
"a publicly owned company"

Hint: There are two definitions. You seem hung up on the unimportant one. These forums are not public.

Remove ads