• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Publicly
so as to be seen by other people; in public.
"some weep publicly"

by the state rather than an independent, commercial company.
"a publicly owned company"

Hint: There are two definitions. You seem hung up on the unimportant one. These forums are not public.

Why is that the important one. Who here is disputing that these forums are privately owned and that the owners can remove whoever they want for whatever reason they want? That’s been acknowledged within this very thread.

So no that’s not the important definition. The definition about who is allowed to view this forum is the important one. As long as the content of this forum is open to the public, aka a public Internet forum, then 2-way blocking makes no sense.

CapnZapp

Legend
As long as the content of this forum is open to the public, aka a public Internet forum, then 2-way blocking makes no sense.
No, it makes sense and that has nothing to do with the visibility of the forum. And no, I'm not going to repeat it since it has already been explained at length up-thread.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, it makes sense and that has nothing to do with the visibility of the forum. And no, I'm not going to repeat it since it has already been explained at length up-thread.

Oh really? I seem to recall wvery one of those explanations being rebutted... weird how that works

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
And he blocked me. Another great example of block preventing what should otherwise be acceptable behavior.

why am I penalized just because someone doesn’t want to read my replies?
Two things.

One, as everyone os telling you, you are wrong about what public forums mean. However, I think that your intent is being poorly seved by your choice of words, in that what I think you mean is "open to the public." In this sense, if anyone not ligged in can read a post that users have been blocked ftom reading, there's a disconnect in intent.

B) lowkey13 blocks people that continue to respond to him after he's declared he's no longer listening. This is important to understand if you engage with him. It's kind of finny, though, as he'll go to lengths to say that he uses imperfect communication but he'll block you if that becomes challenged. lowkey is here for laughs and to occasionally soapbox. It's like understanding player motivations, sometimes you have to grok poster motivations. When lowkey drags out his soapbox, he's not looking for discussion on those points. Which can be frustrating when he does so as an OP and starts booting people from discussions with others.

This last exchange is a good example of this. lowkey wanted to tell us what he thinks of the situation, not discuss it.

Satyrn

First Post
. . .lowkey is here for laughs and to occasionally soapbox. It's like understanding player motivations, sometimes you have to grok poster motivations . . .

This last exchange is a good example of this. lowkey wanted to tell us what he thinks of the situation, not discuss it.
Ooh. Nice.

Now do me!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This isn’t a street corner, it’s a privately own public facing business. Like a coffee shop or book store.

Trying to circumvent someone else’s attempt to not interact with you in any way while patronizing their favorite coffee shop is incredibly creepy. One benefit of the internet is that there are options between relying on social norms and the willingness of another person to follow them, and getting them kicked out of the establishment.

Ignore wasnt working. Block has some issues with notifications, but otherwise is working.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This isn’t a street corner, it’s a privately own public facing business. Like a coffee shop or book store.

Trying to circumvent someone else’s attempt to not interact with you in any way while patronizing their favorite coffee shop is incredibly creepy. One benefit of the internet is that there are options between relying on social norms and the willingness of another person to follow them, and getting them kicked out of the establishment.

Ignore wasnt working. Block has some issues with notifications, but otherwise is working.

The issues with notifications, which are widespread and which go well beyond notifications about that user and across a series of other notifications which are a major part of the board's functionality, outweigh the benefits of blocking "working".

I am curious, do you have a threshold where you would be OK ending blocking because of interference with the normal intended functionality of the board? If, in the purely hypothetical extreme, you personally could not see one out of every three messages because of the blocking system malfunctioning, would that cross your threshold into saying OK we should end this blocking until it can be fixed?

Remove ads