• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This isn’t a street corner, it’s a privately own public facing business. Like a coffee shop or book store.

Trying to circumvent someone else’s attempt to not interact with you in any way while patronizing their favorite coffee shop is incredibly creepy. One benefit of the internet is that there are options between relying on social norms and the willingness of another person to follow them, and getting them kicked out of the establishment.

Ignore wasnt working. Block has some issues with notifications, but otherwise is working.

So what was wrong with ignore before? Were users so worried about getting the last word in that they literally refused to ignore someone else for fear they wouldn’t get the last word in?

FrogReaver

The issues with notifications, which are widespread and which go well beyond notifications about that user and across a series of other notifications which are a major part of the board's functionality, outweigh the benefits of blocking "working".

I am curious, do you have a threshold where you would be OK ending blocking because of interference with the normal intended functionality of the board? If, in the purely hypothetical extreme, you personally could not see one out of every three messages because of the blocking system malfunctioning, would that cross your threshold into saying OK we should end this blocking until it can be fixed?

I would be okay with a block feature it worked properly. Though I still don’t see any real argument for why block should exist in the first place. Ignore makes perfect sense but I don’t get the desire to have 2-way blocking

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Someone mentioned that Morrus posted the reasons for the change from ignore to block. Anyone recall what they were?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The issues with notifications, which are widespread and which go well beyond notifications about that user and across a series of other notifications which are a major part of the board's functionality, outweigh the benefits of blocking "working".

I am curious, do you have a threshold where you would be OK ending blocking because of interference with the normal intended functionality of the board? If, in the purely hypothetical extreme, you personally could not see one out of every three messages because of the blocking system malfunctioning, would that cross your threshold into saying OK we should end this blocking until it can be fixed?

Are you experiencing something that extreme?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So what was wrong with ignore before? Were users so worried about getting the last word in that they literally refused to ignore someone else for fear they wouldn’t get the last word in?

I’ve stopped replying to you for a reason. How many posts does it take for you to take the hint?

FrogReaver

I’ve stopped replying to you for a reason. How many posts does it take for you to take the hint?

No idea you had. Anyways, I’ll likely forget you have in the next few days. By the way, just because I reply to your post doesn’t mean I care if the answer to my question comes from you or someone else. Everyone is more than welcome to jump in on any of my replies to anyone else. I would expect no less

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Are you experiencing something that extreme?

No, though it's getting worse*. Which is why I said it was purely in the hypothetical extreme. I am asking if there is any line you'd draw, as an introduction into a discussion as to where to draw that line. If you're unwilling to admit there would ever be a line, then there isn't a discussion. But, if you admit there would be a line, then the follow on question of "OK where should that line be if it shouldn't be at this point?" seems fair territory.

It's an incrimental thing. Every break in the functionality of the board decreases my desire somewhat to participate with others on the board. Every time people ask for a break to be repaired and they get push back of "it's not that bad and I want my thing more!" it decreases my desire somewhat to participate with others on the board. I'm trying to get to the point where you can experience at least some empathy for people who simply want the thing to function properly rather than having to deal with an increasing number of breaks in the system.

*The problem gets worse over time as your rate of blocks increases over time. This is because your participation increases over time, with each old post still being there and each new post simply adding to the number of total posts you have here for others to read, creating more opportunities for a post to result in a block. Additionally the board increases the number of users every day which itself increases the odds someone will want to block you over time. The combination of my participation increasing and the participation of others increasing results in more blocks happening over time. Which means more system problems over time. It's a cumulative problem that will never get better on its own and will only gradually get worse with time, with the people who participate the most over time feeling the negative impacts of the system breaks more over time.

Last edited:

So I get that the whole link to the proper quote/XP Award/mention is broken/borked/flumphed when you have blocked, or are blocked by, another ENWorld contributor. Sure I'd like to see that "fixed", but I scratch my head at the feeling that this is some kind of major inconvenience worthy of pages of griping. When I click a link and I'm not taken to the "right" place, I simply click the "View First Unread" link at the top of the page and I get to the start of the new action in that thread straight away. Then I catch up on the discussion and soon find where I was quoted or mentioned. I primarily use my laptop or the web version of the site on my phone. Am I missing something else here?

EDIT: to address the OP, complete magic shops are silly. IME players are far more satisfied when they find an item when exploring or extricate one from the BBEG than when they "buy" it. Too much gold? Go build a tower or buy a ship or finance a tavern or [insert creative idea here].

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads