• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No more dumb fighters?

Safari

First Post
So for intellect someone between 60 and 140 (I think those are the values, feel free to correct) would have an int score of 10 or 11.

Actually somewhere between 85 and 115 is the mean. When people deviate more then 30 points from 100 it becomes very rare. It's very hard to model IQ with the int score anyway, becouse of the huge increases over levels.
It's prob best to represent Int as booksmart. Someone who has good memory and knowledge about lotsa stuff.

Last edited:

Xorn

First Post
Starting with an 8 INT you will still have a penalty at 11, and finally get to normal at 21.

I'm pretty sure at 21 Mongo has opened enough Candygrams to warrant losing his INT penalty. He's still just sitting with average INT at that point. Forrest became a gozillionaire, married the love of his life, and met the president 3 times.

What the hell do you have against Mongo's happiness!?

Staffan

Legend
Ecaiki said:
So for intellect someone between 60 and 140 (I think those are the values, feel free to correct) would have an int score of 10 or 11. Someone below 60 would have a negative modifier, the closer to 0 the higher the penalty, hence the steeper curve. The same applies to above 140, the higher you climb into the realm of genius the quicker you get a bonus from intellect.
The Intelligence game stat doesn't translate directly to IQ, but let's ignore that for the moment.

The most common IQ test has a standard deviation of 15, which means that ~68% fall in the range of 100 +/-15. That in turn means that about 50% fall in the range of 100 +/- 10.

50% matches pretty well to rolling 9-12 on 3d6, which would mean that Int 9 corresponds to IQ 90, and Int 12 to 110.

Porphyrogenitus

First Post
People forget their own real-life experience: Even smart people can do stupid things. Not even infrequently.

I'm not bragging when I say that I rate as very smart on tests, 'cause I've done *sooooo* many boneheaded things it's unreal. And one of the smartest people (by test score) I had the misfortune to work with/supervise was a complete and utter incompetent dirtbag who couldn't even wake himself up on time or find his way to work. The guy could barely do his laundry. (It wasn't entirely that he was lazy: He was a "smart moron". If you haven't met any in your real-life experience, count yourself lucky I guess. Trust me, though: They exist).

So it should be easy to role-play someone who does boneheaded things, if that's what you're after.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
The dumb fighter archetype lives more than ever in 4e!

Every fighter I make will have an 8 int. why not? It affects skills I don't use, I wear heavy armor so I don't add it to my AC, I can raise my dex for my ref def and get better stuff, and no fighter feats are based off int.

Sure you don't get any 6 int mongo's, but every fighter off the line is an 8 int Joey:)

Ecaiki

First Post
Yeah IQ was probably a bad example to go with, was mostly just trying to illustrate that you can be clumsy or whatever without actually having a stat penalty. :)

drothgery

First Post
Andor said:
Friends, I just realized we have seen the death of a much loved archetype. We have all see and loved the idiot fighter (or barbarian, or Paladin) at our tables. You know, the one who can't read, and who blurts out our plans to the bad guys to the annoyance of the other characters and the amusement of the players.

Err... good riddance? Never liked that archetype (and the closest we ever saw in 3.x was a half-orc ftr/barbarian that actually had a positive int modifier).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads