D&D General No More "Humans in Funny Hats": Racial Mechanics Should Determine Racial Cultures

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Racial locked ASIs is still a problem with limiting character choice for people who want to be competent, so no doing both isn't superior.
Except as I have shown repeatedly, it can be done and not limit choice at all. Simply give elves +2 dex and +2 floating. Give dwarves +2 con and +2 floating. Give goliaths +2 strength and +2 floating.

Except as I have shown repeatedly, it can be done and not limit choice at all. Simply give elves +2 dex and +2 floating. Give dwarves +2 con and +2 floating. Give goliaths +2 strength and +2 floating.
That's pretty pointless though. Everyone can effectively still be equally good at everything. I don't really see this any better than floating.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's pretty pointless though. Everyone can effectively still be equally good at everything. I don't really see this any better than floating.
It's completely the opposite of pointless. It has a very big point. It gives those who like racial bonuses(a whole lot of us) our racial bonuses and still gives you guys the flexibility you want. It's win-win, which is important. And a fantastic compromise.

Scribe, I have a question for you. Assume a session is 4 hours, give or take. Usually, half an hour is burned with late players, unprepared players, players setting up at the table, just general greetings with one another, and the DM doing a recap. Now, of the remaining time, how much of a typical session (and I mean on average, over say, 10 sessions) do you think is reasonable to delve into the psycho-socio differences between the different party members? D&D is built around encounters, be they combat or otherwise, with OUTSIDE triggers. Not conflicts within the party.

I am old school. My games never, ever focused on whether Bob feels motivated to cut off Timmy's hand, because Timmy would never be in the party to start with (Thieves that stole from the party in the olden days and said "It is what my char would do" lasted about 10 minutes). The party was much more focused on the 7 headed Hyrdra in front of them as opposed to whether some sentient swan that mates for life can stand being in the same party as a Half-Orc with no wives but 10 children from 10 different mothers. (Yes, I was in a campaign where that was how the player portrayed their Half-Orc).

Remove ads