D&D 5E No next turn, indefiniate effect?

Bagpuss

Legend
In last night's game I got attacked by a Shadar-kai Gloomblade, he hit my character with Gloomstrike

If the shadar-kai gloomblade hits a target that can’t see him, the target is blinded until the end of the gloomblade’s next turn.

The Gloomblade then got slaughtered by the rest of the party, so never got to have a next turn, the DM ruled that since it didn't have a next turn I was blinded indefinitely.

I couldn't find anything in the rules to contradict him but this seems unfair.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The Gloomblade then got slaughtered by the rest of the party, so never got to have a next turn, the DM ruled that since it didn't have a next turn I was blinded indefinitely.

I couldn't find anything in the rules to contradict him but this seems unfair.
Make six new characters and pull them out when you hit a monster with an effect that lasts until the start of your next turn.

"No, that was Blackleaf-6's last turn. Ever. My new character, Blackleaf-7, appears on the next round. Should I roll for initiative now, or later?"

Cheers, -- N

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Step 1) Find new DM
Step 2) Start new campaign

After session: ask the DM what he's really disliking about running 4th Edition.

cjais

First Post
Yeah I pointed to that, but he pointed out that the Gloomblade was dead not unconscious.

Does your DM assume that the character who bestows a condition on a target, actively has to "switch it off"? That conditions that last until the end of someone's next turn doesn't measure duration, but the caster's willingness to turn it off, somehow?

Stalker0

Legend
While I agree Bagpuss' dm is well....wrong, guys let's try to be a bit more positive in helping BP, give some more rules quotes and ways to convince the DM he is wrong.

Remove ads