D&D 5E Nobody Is Playing High Level Characters

According to stats from D&D Beyond, above 5th level characters start to drop off sharply, and above 10th level, the figures are very low. The exception is level 20, which looks like it's probably people creating experimental 20th-level builds.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 2.16.41 PM.png

Some of them say 0%; this isn't strictly accurate, but levels 16-19 are used by an insignificant number of players. Interestingly, there are more 3rd-5th level characters than there are 1st-2nd level.

D&D Beyond has said before that under 10% of games make it past 10th level, but these figures show the break point as being bit lower than that. DDB used over 30 million characters to compile these stats.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I just can’t begin to say how much i look forward to the abilities gained after 6th level and higher. This is unfathomable to me. Do you even know how the abilities play or are at higher levels?

I think the game is a fine game and I can see how a lot of people like it.

I just prefer actual game choices and after level 3... Besides Feats and Multiclassing IF the DM allows them...

What are your actual game choices for when you level up? Basically if you want your character to do Anything, it's up to the DM to allow it or not.

It's just how this game is designed. That's all.

Not saying it's a bad design. It's just a preference.

Anoth

Adventurer

I just prefer actual game choices and after level 3... Besides Feats and Multiclassing IF the DM allows them...

What are your actual game choices for when you level up? Basically if you want your character to do Anything, it's up to the DM to allow it or not.

It's just how this game is designed. That's all.

Not saying it's a bad design. It's just a preference.
To be honest. I could care less about that. I am more interested in the cool stories and adventures at higher levels. I am more interested in the plots and twists and character development. 6th level for me is just the beginning of character development. I am hoping my characters will see things that will transform their characters view of the world and their role and responsibility in societies and communities, and possibly the cosmos if it’s that type of game. I want my characters to be more than a stat block. I want them to have epic accomplishments and meaningful relationships.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Most of those 20th level characters on DDB are probably ones created for YouTube builders like Tulok and Treantmonk ;)

Either way, this is just more reinforcing data for them to not work as hard at providing support to the topmost tier of the game, which is a bummer.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Sooo. Any good third party adventures for the upper levels
I tried making one that goes past ten, but the system breaks down pretty quick as you continue & turns the plot into irrelevance between not very epic slogfest combat & had to redesign it after testing. 5e really needs a big mechanical overhaul to put back in some of the complexities 3.5 had & tone down the rocket powered rollerskates 5e adds to other areas.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
For us, DM fatigue usually sets in about 7th to 10th level; the even funnier thing is that this hasn’t changed in groups I’ve been in even since AD&D days!

All those changes, and the sweet spot and feel are pretty much the same.

4E worked the hardest to address this, and we did get to level 20. But there the problem became too much of the same feel, but with ever changing powers and growing numbers.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

And by 'game choices', do you mean mechanical representations of the character's development and-or choices in how to mechanically develop it?

If yes, that would seem to indicate your focus is very much on the character's "build" and mechanics as it goes along.

Have you ever played in a game where level-up is very rare, i.e. maybe once or twice per real-world year, playing weekly? If not, I can vouch that it certainly leads to a different focus: mechanics take a back seat to personality, characterization, and interactions with the other PCs and the game world as a whole.

Might not be your thing, and fair enough; but for some of us it is - and the game design sort of has to be able to cater to both as best it can.

The problem with only needing 900 XP to get to level 3... And then there being no real character growth choices starting at level 4 because everything in every class is already chosen for you...
Unless your DM allows multi-classing and allows players to choose Feats... Then there's a little choice.

Why keep going into the higher levels when you honestly have no choices to make when your class is already dictated to you?

The best parts of this edition stop before level 10.
There is tons of character growth in D&D. The mistake is thinking character growth can only be expressed by mechanics options.

The myriad things your character will do in game over so many levels is where the real character growth lives. The things that happen in your game that brings real life to your characters and to the world. Picking feats isn’t real character growth... it’s just video game character building.

In my experience, excessive mechanical options get in the way. They force optimization and picking cool powers in order to be effective.

I’m pretty close to giving up on 5e because it only rewards mechanical optimization. Players pick options for all the powers they grant and the mechanical doo-dads they provide.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases