• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nobody knows the classes like I do!

Empath Negative

First Post
Well, they roll 4d6 (drop lowest) six times, and assign to taste. At least, that's RAW in the 3.5 PHB.

Not at all via class, and it talks about "elite" NPCs, too.

I believe it's 12.2 compared to 10.5.

True. By 5%. And in my book, 5% is not head and shoulders above average people, especially when they're outshined by most "average" people. Sure, you're 5% better at hunting than the average guy, but you're a lot worse than the average hunter (because he has ranks). Sure, you're 5% better than the average guy at crafting (not that this really helps you), but you're worse than the average craftsman (because he has ranks).

You're 5% better than the average guy at things, unless they're invested in them (like it's their profession). And then you're worse, unless you're invested (by 5% still). Again, not head and shoulders in my book. Just a little above average.

Assumed as a cut above? Yes. Head and shoulders? No. Because of class? Definitely not (in my book). Again, just my take on it, but I'm totally okay with your interpretation at your table. As always, play what you like :)

You do realize that if your characters highest ability score is 13... you can make an entirely new character right?

And even if you gte an 18 in one score... 10 in the rest, and 3 in another... you can still make an entirely new character.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
You do realize that if your characters highest ability score is 13... you can make an entirely new character right?
True, but we're talking averages. That means that I might have a 14, but I might have a 10 or 11. Mods average out, and now I keep the character.
And even if you gte an 18 in one score... 10 in the rest, and 3 in another... you can still make an entirely new character.
Also true, but this says nothing of the averages, of which I was speaking. Again, I won't say that PCs are "head and shoulders above the rest" because, statistically, they're not (in my opinion). If I took a series of tests, and I got an average of 70% in every field, and another guy got an average of 75% in every field, I'd say that he was better than I am, but he's not head and shoulders over me.

Mind you, "head and shoulders" is admittedly very subjective, but that's my take on it, and I don't think it's unreasonable. Even according to the DMG (in 3.5e, at least), PCs are better because they're "elite" (maximum level 1 HP and 4d6 abilities) and not because of class, like your original post posits. But, once again, I'm just giving my take and voicing my disagreement with yours; I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, or anything. As always, play what you like :)

prosfilaes

Adventurer

Not necessarily; some DMs may be picky about playing the first character you roll up, and even those that aren't, repeatedly making a new character may push the limits.

Empath Negative

First Post
Not necessarily; some DMs may be picky about playing the first character you roll up, and even those that aren't, repeatedly making a new character may push the limits.

No, it's actually in the rules. And sure, a DM can overrule it... but it would take some pretty big cajones on a DM to demand you keep a terrible terrible character that even the rules say you may toss.

Oh, and Elves get laser beam eyes.

rkwoodard

First Post
I like the approach

I like this approach and have used it myself to help explain. Some of my favorites are (sorry no picture links):

Gil Grissom as a Paladin. He was the original lead in the first CSI. He was not a jerk about Law and Order (pun intended), he just didn't get grey areas. You were either law abiding and needed help or a criminal and should be caught.

Angelina Jolie as a Sorceress. Very Charismatic and other worldly but you can just tell there is something "off" about her bloodline.

Alton Brown as a Wizard. He is more than just a cook, he understands the building blocks of what is happening and can manipulate it accordingly.

RK

Tovec

Explorer
I still can't figure out what this has to do with 5e in any shape or form. But I don't care I'm not here for the discussion as a whole I'm here for one little part. I just want to go all tangenty!

Tiger was very similar pre-golfclub through his back window. Outside of Tiger's various injuries you could probably say that he's no longer himself because he no longer perceives himself as bulletproof. He got Charisma drained repeatedly over a 2 year span. Sponsers hit him for 1d6 Cha + 3, Elin hit him for 2d6 Cha + 6, and all of his...ermmm...lady-friends...and the world's reaction to it all hit him for 3d6 Cha + 9. No wonder the guy didn't leave the house for several months. He must have been staring into space, slobbering all over himself with a Charisma of 0 for awhile.

The guys who were basically just freakish, athletic robots would be Sampras at Wimbledon and Mariano Rivera from 1996 - 2008.

So, 1d6+3, 2d6+6, 3d6+9 = (3.5)*6+18 = 39CHA, 6+18=24 on a minimum roll.
Even assuming you meant a TOTAL of 3d6+9 = (3.5)*3+9 = 19CHA.

How many characters do you know that would still be able to go out in public after losing a total of 39, 24 or even 19 CHA?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...How many characters do you know that would still be able to go out in public after losing a total of 39, 24 or even 19 CHA?

I don't actually know any characters (real people: Yes; Characters: No:p), but I'm thinking masochistic ones might go out in public anyways.

Just saying...;)

Nytmare

David Jose
Though I appreciate the fact that you think you've figured everything out, and ignoring the fact that the game is drastically different from one set of players to the next, I'm kinda of the opinion that the moment you start looking for concrete, real life explanations of mechanical abstractions, you're off the mark.

Empath Negative

First Post
Though I appreciate the fact that you think you've figured everything out, and ignoring the fact that the game is drastically different from one set of players to the next, I'm kinda of the opinion that the moment you start looking for concrete, real life explanations of mechanical abstractions, you're off the mark.

So it's fortunate that's what I'm not trying to do at all. =)

The purpose of the article wasn't to provide "real life examples". Had you read the article I suspect you would've figured that out. It makes it clear from the outset... when it takes a picture of a guy with a melee weapon and chainmail and says "this isn't the guy I think of"... i.e. the real life example.

Instead the purpose was to elaborate on what the fundamental "force" of what the character class was.

The fighter, for example, is "special". Even amongst other guys who swing stuff at other guys, he's gifted.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
The purpose of the article wasn't to provide "real life examples". Had you read the article I suspect you would've figured that out. It makes it clear from the outset...

I read the article, and I thought the same thing Nytmare did. Apparently your OP wasn't as clear as you thought or hoped it was...:erm:

Remove ads