• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Nobody likes an edition warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
The sales numbers, and subscription numbers to DDI, proved that idea wrong way back a decade ago. 🤷‍♂️

DDI never really changed their numbers and wasn't that many. Hell I got counted after I canceled my subscription.

You've got sales numbers of 4E? It was things like ICV2 that did the reporting.

The sales numbers would also include release figures. A lot of people bought them then bailed. Means all your follow on books don't sell hence why they stopped making them.

They wouldn't have stopped printing them 2012 if people wanted them.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
DDI never really changed their numbers and wasn't that many. Hell I got counted after I canceled my subscription.

You've got sales numbers of 4E? It was things like ICV2 that did the reporting.

The sales numbers would also include release figures. A lot of people bought them then bailed. Means all your follow on books don't sell hence why they stopped making them.

They wouldn't have stopped printing them 2012 if people wanted them.
Wow. Yeah, no. We would never have gotten Heroes of The Feywild in the half dozen or so books before it weren’t selling.

you’ve clearly got a bias here, and this ground has been trod many times before.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
In all seriousness, there did use to be a fair amount of edition warring, and the even more exciting edition civil-warring, on this site.

Mods are more vigilant, but I think people also tired of it.

And 5E really is the most successful, so I don't think there is any point arguing about it.
It really hasn't gotten THAT much better. Remember when there had to be a Warlord containment zone because it kept coming up over and over again? And now we're having the edition civil war over whether it's fine or a horrible betrayal of every thematic setting ever to slightly reduce alignment's already minor impact, or whether more explicitly supporting players that like races outside "the major ones Tolkien wrote about" is turning D&D into a haven for furries. (And no, I'm NOT exaggerating either point there. Multiple people have espoused those exact opinions on this very board within the past 6 months.)

Aldarc

Legend
While a lot of people do enjoy engaging systems, 5E showed what people really want is a simple to use D&D flavored platform to spring into story and characterization. Who can disagree with the Matt Mercer effect??
To be clear, my contention here is that 4e was not an evolution or descendant of 3.5.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Essentials was too little too late. Had they had the options of essentials, well there were still other issues and it's water under the bridge now.

While I do personally wish there were more mundane options, between the mundane fighter and rogue options you have quite a few options.

But there were other issues with 4E as well, power structure was just one.

I think the people behind 4E had some good ideas and 5E took some of the good while tossing most of the bad. The game structure, goals and tools are significantly different. I just don't see a reason to spell them out in detail.
Yeah, Essentials came too late. The damage was done by then.

Although with the 5e idea of "almost everything is a spell",I could see a future edition using a 4eish idea giving the power source/recharge system proper names. Cantrips are As, Spells are Ds, Maneuvers and Pact Magic are Es. Wizards are an arcane AD class. Warlock is a AE class. Fighter is a mundane AE class. Rogue is a mundane A only class. etc.

So you have wizards casting fireball as a spell, warlock casting fireball as an invocation, and an eldritch knight casting fireball as a maneuver..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads