Nocturne of Sorrow, Orsal J

ethandrul

Visitor
I have about 15 lbs that could use dividing. that works out to all my gear (minus my horse feed) and 1 week worth of rations.
 

jaker2003

Explorer
Jace asks, Could the good people of Monemvassia provide me with nine pounds or so of trail rations? Eating food you already have is always faster than searching the fields for a meal.
 
"Most certainly. We will provide all that you need," Frump agrees graciously.

*Eventually, everyone is prepared and stocked up. They have the rest of the day to themselves. The following morning, Gloria tries to gather everyone together and bring them to Rayne.*

"Right then. The two lightest of you will be Teleporting from inside my Bag of Holding to avoid the limit on the number of creatures I can bring along," Rayne instructs.

*Once the two lightest (Gloria and Quozen?) get inside, she issues a series of dimensional magical spells of great power, and the group watches as the world spins and melts away, first onto a field, then eventually into a dead and blackened badlands with leafless dead trees and minor scrub brush the only foliation. Eventually, the Teleporting stops and Rayne retrieves the people from the bag.*

"Okay, you'll need to wait 70 minutes for me to conjure the steeds. Take a nap if you can or something, since you'll be staying up late tonight."

*In a little over an hour, seven phantasmal flying horses appear, each one keyed to one of the party members.*

"Ride hard and you may yet see the Monastery in the light of the new dawn. Farewell, adventurers. May you be safe, and return heroes when we meet again."
 

thegreyman

Visitor
Dorrin rests for most of the time required to summon the ethereal horses, although he does try to keep up his card playing skills with anyone who would like to.

"Thank you, Mistress Rayne for the aid in beginning the quest. With Grendath's blessing, we will indeed be victorious."
 

Bison

Visitor
Droggle falls asleep easily. The teleportation, had him a bit out of sorts, but the extended nap seems to have done him wonders. but as he mounted the phantasmal steed, he felt a new discomfort come on. He worries about falling off of the thing in mid flight. It was difficult enough for him to ride a horse on land.
 
(OOC: How are you guys going to do the riding thing? The mounts can fly at a speed of 240 (480 when Hustling, which they should do at all times).)
 

ethandrul

Visitor
I suggest spread out- about 30 feet apart, at least 1500 but at different altitudes - though feet up. full speed ahead- if we spot danger- we move towards each other at a downward forward angle. aiming for the tree line or water. i plan to strap myself securely to my "horse" so if i lose my grip i don't die
 
(OOC: Did you say 1500 feet up? Zounds! What happens if you fall off the horse or if it gets hit by something and dispelled or the duration ends?)
 

thegreyman

Visitor
ooc: I think Dorrin'll stay close to the ground. Anything that can catch us can kill us anyways, so why not just move?

Just above tree level should do it really, keep close together so we don't lose sight of anyone during the night, and start hustling those horses.
 
Last edited:

LogicsFate

Visitor
Valan indulges in quick nap and a card game while the group waits.

OoC: Just above tree line is Valan's plan, more dramatic that way.
 

Bison

Visitor
OOC - well just above the treeline is likely just as fatal, but somehow perhaps psychologically easier to deal with.
 

thegreyman

Visitor
ooc: No, just above the treeline is only 20 feet, which is easy for everyone to live through even at max damage. 200+ feet kills us with minimum damage.

Besides, what happens if we would pass the monastery in the night? A low slung building would be missed at over 80 feet, and I don't think we wanna wander around down here missing the objective.
 

jaker2003

Explorer
OOC: I think the consensus is running the tree line. Maybe we can talk the monks into a night’s room and board, so the 3 clerics can conference before morning prayers.
Maybe we should have asked for everburning torches? Then we could've hung them below the steeds to view the ground.
As is, we'll have to rely on the dwarves' 60' darkvision and Quozen's low-light vision. We should probably stay within 60' of the ground for safety's sake.
 
(OOC: Okay, sounds good)

*The group flies about twenty feet above the ground and continues for nearly a full day flying at such incredible speeds that even when they do spot what might be creatures below, there is hardly any time to react as the group whizzes past. By now, everyone except Droggle, who proves to have exceptional endurance as is typical for dwarves, and Quozen, who didn't need as much sleep anyway, are Fatigued by the long journey. Still, the monastery should be only a few hours away, as the sun begins to peak out from behind the pall of darkness that suffuses everything in this awful place.*

*Suddenly, Quozen spots a fleeting movement at the edge of his vision in the premorning gloom, and two razor-sharp bones impale his Phantom Steed, causing it to wink out of existence. The elf manages to Tumble and roll with the fall, barely hurt from the impact.*

*The source of the attacks is a pair of strange creatures, they look a bit like kites, except Quozen, with the acuity of his elven eyes, can see that the part where a kite would have cloth is made of a material with the texture, colour, and consistency of human flesh, dotted with haphazard maws filled with maws of razor-sharp teeth, and the creatures seem to be bound together with sharpened bones, some of which they can apparently fire off at range. Still, the things don't seem to be too fast. If some of the group wished to flee and abandon Quozen, they would have no problem doing so.*

(OOC: Quozen takes 2 Damage.

Initiative:

Quozen
Valan
Enemy1
Jace
Hasin
Gloria
Enemy2
Droggle
Dorrin )
 

jaker2003

Explorer
OOC: 4th on the initiative list, Wonderful :(

Ok, Jace turns his steed back toward Quozen (if he can) and pulls heavy crossbow from the top of his pack and draws a bolt. If I have any action left, (and I doubt it) Jace casts light on the bolt and fires it near (but not too close) to Quozen. I'm trying to give Quozen a light so we can all see what's happening.
Here's an attack roll if you want one: attack roll and dmg (aiming @ empty space) (1d20+1=14, 1d10=2)
 
Last edited:

jaker2003

Explorer
OOC: as long as the bolt doesn't strike rock (and I'm assuming it won't 'cause Quozen isn't dead), the bolt should survive to illuminate the area. Quozen could even pull it up to throw closer to his opponents.
 
(OOC: You can control the steed to move up to 240 feet with Good manoeuvrability as a move action, then draw the loaded crossbow. Or you can just not move the steed, draw the loaded crossbow, and cast Light.)
 

jaker2003

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: You can control the steed to move up to 240 feet with Good manoeuvrability as a move action, then draw the loaded crossbow. Or you can just not move the steed, draw the loaded crossbow, and cast Light.)
OOC: I think I'll go with option #2, I can always move in closer later, the humans need the light now.
 

Advertisement

Top