Nocturne of Sorrow, Orsal J

jaker2003

Explorer
Jace chimes in, We keep talking about the shard, but do we even know what it looks like? For instance, would the piece smaller than a coin, or as big as my head? Is it reputed to be a certain color? And what about it's shape, would it look more like a piece of a broken plate, or a splinter?

Rystil Arden

First Post
jaker2003 said:
Jace chimes in, We keep talking about the shard, but do we even know what it looks like? For instance, would the piece smaller than a coin, or as big as my head? Is it reputed to be a certain color? And what about it's shape, would it look more like a piece of a broken plate, or a splinter?
"It is a fragment of an immense gem. It may be as large as a foot on its longest side, and it may be infused with dark dancing shadows, though those may not be visible. The best way to identify it will probably be to use the Divination immunity to your advantage--if you see something that you think is the shard, and it turns out to be immune to Divinations, then you know you found the right one."

jaker2003

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"It is a fragment of an immense gem. It may be as large as a foot on its longest side, and it may be infused with dark dancing shadows, though those may not be visible. The best way to identify it will probably be to use the Divination immunity to your advantage--if you see something that you think is the shard, and it turns out to be immune to Divinations, then you know you found the right one."
Jace nods, Intuitive advice, Rayne, thank you.
Jace ponders the area they're going to.Knowledge(geogrophy)for monestary and surrounding area (1d20+1=15)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Since it's an untrained Knowledge roll, you can't get a better result than 10, Common Knowledge--stuff like "The Southern lands near the Negative Energy Tower are Badlands where life can barely support itself and no normal creature can flourish. Most consider the lands cursed and evil, and few would dare to set foot in such a place.")

jaker2003

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: Since it's an untrained Knowledge roll, you can't get a better result than 10, Common Knowledge--stuff like "The Southern lands near the Negative Energy Tower are Badlands where life can barely support itself and no normal creature can flourish. Most consider the lands cursed and evil, and few would dare to set foot in such a place.")
ooc: Ok. Maybe we should ask our ranger if there are any sort of creatures that live there, or if we should only expect undead to hamper us? Anyone else have questions for Rayne while she's here? I'm drawing a blank.

thegreyman

First Post
ooc: Maybe known hazards in the negative lands? Not knowing much about the area, it's tough to think things up, and I know Dorrin wouldn't care much about issues (obstacles to be overcome and all...)

jaker2003

Explorer
thegreyman said:
ooc: Maybe known hazards in the negative lands? Not knowing much about the area, it's tough to think things up, and I know Dorrin wouldn't care much about issues (obstacles to be overcome and all...)
OOC: My concern is that we'll load up on Holy Water, and find some sort of abberation roaming the lands. oh well, that's why Jace carries extra flasks of lamp oil. I intend to pass them out, then if we run into something we're not prepared for, we chuck the fuel at it, and ignite the whole mess with a burning hands spell. Each flask burns like an alchemist's fire :D

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
jaker2003 said:
OOC: My concern is that we'll load up on Holy Water, and find some sort of abberation roaming the lands. oh well, that's why Jace carries extra flasks of lamp oil. I intend to pass them out, then if we run into something we're not prepared for, we chuck the fuel at it, and ignite the whole mess with a burning hands spell. Each flask burns like an alchemist's fire :D
(OOC: What we really need are Holy Hand Grenades.)

"Another idea we can keep in mind is that the way back can be more circuitous than the way there. If we simply find the quickest way out of the sinkhole, then start heading back from there, looking for any village along the way, then we should be in good shape."

ethandrul

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: I don't see any quotes. Did he say any of that or just think? Meanwhile, while I wait for the answer so I can decide if I need to respond, I'll mention that Rayne Liore didn't hear any of the previous requests--she came in and made this offer without hearing that, so it would be obvious to everyone that Hasin's demands for equipment had no effect and no correlation with Rayne's offer of aid. Also, if he was going to say that, do remember that it has been mentioned several times before that there will be no monetary reward for these missions. Many of the sponsors (including Rayne) will want to remove any potential participant who seems motivated by money (since a greater amount of money would put that person on the cultists' side) )

ooc- yes that was ooc . i figured a reincarnate spell isn't a monetary reward, and is not something that evil cultists of a dead dragon would have easy access to.
as to the info on the badlands...

I have never seen the badlands myself- but when i travelled north I came with a man who claimed to have been there, not IN the badlands...but near them. He said he was set to guard the horses while his friends travelled a mere 1 mile into the dread place. Tis a place of cold and darkness, the stones themselves rise up to bite at ya. large birds with leathery wings stalk the sky looking for the dying. more then anything though, the worst beast is yourself- it is said that deep within the badlands, your mortal soul hears the cries of the dead and longs to join them- i heard tales of normally cheerful men throwing themselves onto the rocks below while wailing in dispair. Of course the shadows are filled with the spirits of the dead- but they only come out at night...though that caravan guard told me that the badlands never see the light of day. He concluded the tale by saying that of the 12 men who went in- only two came back- and they never stopped screaming in terror.

rystil-i am trying to pm you- but it says i can't
i made a knowledge nature checkand wanted to give you the results-
i got a 7 total, though i lost the link to it so obviously i and giving hearsay that has no foundation in truth ...i hope

Last edited:

Bison

First Post
InVinoVeritas said:
"Another idea we can keep in mind is that the way back can be more circuitous than the way there. If we simply find the quickest way out of the sinkhole, then start heading back from there, looking for any village along the way, then we should be in good shape."

But what happens if we perish on our return, from some wholly unrelated threat. What will become of the shard then? if none of our comrads know the route we were to return by, then the shard may become impossible to recover.

Remove ads