Non-humans in a swashbuckling world.

slwoyach

First Post
I'm going to be starting a pbp E6 game soon and was wondering what nonhuman races would spice it up some, I definitely want a lot of races due to campaign specifics (it's an ocean world that creatures stumble upon, the portal from Earth is the Bermuda Triangle.) I'm dropping elves because I just don't like the feel. Some thoughts I have so far:

Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings: I love the idea of a dwarf with a blunderbuss, and gnomes and halflings fit in quite well.

Weren, Sesshayan, and T'sa: These Alternity races I think also fit well into a swashbuckling campaign. The Sesshayan and T'sa are native races to the tropical island setting were the campaign takes place.

Darfellan: Obligatory aquatic race.

Unnamed sentient monkeys: Because monkeys make everything better.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The AD&D 2e setting "Red Steel" used a wide number of non-human races. Nominally swashbuckling, it was an "age of discovery" setting where many of the races were from more distant or primitive lands. If you don't mind anthropomorphic feel, you'd have tortles, 3 varieties of lizardmen, rakasta, lupin, wallara (chameleon men), phanatons (flying raccoon-people), enduks (winged minotaurs).

Well, the main thing with that is it's essentially a stat block perhaps a good starting place for a race. Reflavor as needed.

As for the dwarf with a blunderbuss, there's a little line in Warcraft 3 that's pertinent here. "You'll take me blunderbuss when you pry it from my cold dead hands!"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm actually trying to stay away from anthropomorphism. Gatormen may work though, I'll have to think about them.

In all fairness, the weren and your unnamed simians are basically anthropomorphic.

What is it about anthros you wish to avoid?

Remove ads