WotC non-OGL alternative to D&D

Thomas Shey

Legend
what is the difference between Dragon Age and Fantasy Age, sounds like they both work for generic fantasy?

Fantasy AGE is later evolution of DAGE, with less of the Dragon Age specifics baked in.

(My personal opinion is that both tend to start to progressively break down above about level six, showing some artifacts of how DAGE was originally written and playtested. I won't speak about Modern AGE; a quick reading shows some attempts to address at least some of the issues there).

hojulation

Explorer
A few other systems I haven't seen mentioned yet are Symbaroum and Coriolis, both by Free League, as well as the Genesys system originally from Fantasy Flight Games before their buy out and reshuffling. It was the system that powered the FFG Star Wars RPG originally, but then was spun off as a stand alone, setting agnostic system (still available on Drivethru RPG) and then later they released separate setting books for Terrinoth, Android, and even their Keyforge TCG.

Spohedus

Explorer
I’m surprised we are on page 4 of this thread without mention of Dungeon Crawl Classic (DCC). Our table has been thoroughly enjoying it over the last six months.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I will still play D&D. We play in our own setting and we have all the material we need.
Same here, but it's still cool to hear about these other systems and their relation to WotC/OGL.

I didn't realize Dungeon World was completely divorced from the OGL. For some while now (2 years? 3 years?) a friend has been running a game using some sort of mashup of our homebrew 1e variant and Dungeon World as her rules system; I guess it must be going OK as they're still at it (their next session should start within an hour or so, in fact).
I don't need to continue to support WotC to play D&D. It is my game, not theirs.
I don't need to support them either, but at the end of the day I'll concede they do own at least some of the IP and in all fairness over the last 10 years or so (the last two months notwithstanding) have done a pretty good job* in marketing the game and increasing its popularity.

* - even if sometimes that "pretty good job" simply meant getting out of the way of things like Critical Role and giving them room to rock.

Remove ads